Author Topic: WOW Toyota  (Read 10202 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: WOW Toyota
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010 - 01:46:28 PM »
JD Power is an absolute joke.  A bit of a side story, but there is a home builder in the area that was always at the bottom of the barrel for ratings, but were not involved with JD Power.  They do whatever they need to to "grease the skids" with JDP, and all of a sudden they are tops for 2 years straight, yet nothing changed within the business.  :clueless:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010 - 06:25:37 PM »
Foget about JD Power. No car company blows their own horn more than Toyota.  :grinno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2010 - 08:12:09 PM »

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010 - 01:02:45 PM »
I just heard on the radio this morning that the Camry I mentioned before here in Dallas that flipped into a pond had been in to the dealer several times because they complained about that exact problem, and they were turned away and told there was no problem.  They are screwed.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2010 - 06:35:23 PM »
I just heard today that the deaths caused by unintended acceleration are now over 50. That's a whole bunch of lawsuits.  :villagers:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2010 - 06:49:26 PM »
I'm sure this is only scratching the surface of Toyota's deficiencies and negligence in their quest to become the #1 seller in the world.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010 - 07:54:17 AM »
Jappee fixees no workee..............?  This morning paper refers to some supposed fixes on recalled Toyotas, one guy about ran an intersection and a woman about ran over her mail box because of a "sudden surge" in acceleration. I think they are going to have to admit that floor mats and mechanical snafus are not the real problem, apparently electronic problems, now that will be a much bigger and costly repair. Toyota ought to be made to buy back these cars.  And GM has a slight problem too it appears.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010 - 09:16:30 AM »
EVERYBODY will have problems with electronic throttle control. Toyota's problems are only the tip of the iceberg. Volvo had trouble wih their ETC systems from the start. I attended a class on these systems, and the instructor sounded more like a defensive apologist, than an auto mechanic describing service and diagnostic techniques on a new system. I know that the software running these things is flawed, and there is NO viable backup system. It fails, and the driver loses. They are finicky, expensive, complicated, and fragile. All are qualities that spell death on the road. Electronic controls are running rampant over our cars, and it only gets worse. Soon, we won't be financially capable of fixing them, and we will throw them away, replacing them with more over-complicated crap. If you don't believe it, look at the cost of owning a Blue-ray player.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010 - 09:58:11 AM »
Just think, this is the same principle they are putting in $30M+ jets, (fly by wire), and they don't always get those right, either.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010 - 10:04:16 AM »
But at least on the jets, you have redundant backup systems. Where's ours? I had a parts person cite the almost trouble-free service record of ETC in OTR trucks; I pointed out to him that there's a fundamental difference between a big diesel and a small gas engine. That being, that there are bigger parts doing things in a different environment on a big diesel. Some ideas don't translate well into everyday cars; this is one of them.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010 - 10:42:13 AM »
Good point on the redundancy.  I didn't think of that.

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010 - 06:22:01 PM »
Here is another twist to the story,

My boss was telling me about a story he heard on the radio driving home.  A man was convicted of manslaughter from an accident involving (guess?????) thats right his Toyota of which his testimony at the time was that his accelerator stuck and caused the accident.  Because no one could find anything wrong with the accerlator he was convicted and is STILL serving his time in prison.  His lawyers are preparing their case to get him released based on Toyota admitting they have a problem.  Imagine that one....serving prison for something you had no control over!!!

Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010 - 06:38:10 PM »
Here is another twist to the story,

My boss was telling me about a story he heard on the radio driving home.  A man was convicted of manslaughter from an accident involving (guess?????) thats right his Toyota of which his testimony at the time was that his accelerator stuck and caused the accident.  Because no one could find anything wrong with the accerlator he was convicted and is STILL serving his time in prison.  His lawyers are preparing their case to get him released based on Toyota admitting they have a problem.  Imagine that one....serving prison for something you had no control over!!!
True Story.. from minnesota,,,
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010 - 07:24:43 PM »
Pretty sure the ignition key should reduce the engine RPMs.   :screwy:

One thing to keep in mind is that alot of these new cars (including many new Challengers) have keyless push button ignitions.  Apparently you have to push the pushbutton for like 3 seconds to shut down the engine if you are in motion, which probably seems like an eternity when the gas pedal is stuck! Not nearly as intuitive as turning a key off wouldn't you agree?
As a Toyota hater, I want to join the lynch mob and see them run out of the country! But as an engineer, I know the sensationalistic news media and the money hungry vulture trial lawyers are putting out a lot of distorted hype on this issue to misleed and bias the sheeple, so I need to temper my Toyota hatred and try to be rational and seek facts. :2cents:
I thought this Popular Mechanics article was interesting:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4347704.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 - 07:26:14 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline priderocks

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010 - 07:44:17 PM »
Makes ye olde throttle cable look pretty good, doesn't it?

supercuda is onto something. Cars are way too sophisticated/complicated. Manufacturers tout their 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, but anymore its not the drivetrain you need to worry about- it's all the electronic sub-systems that cost a fortune to replace. My neighbor (a master Toyota mechanic) says for example a cruise control sensor for an Avalon cost $1200. (He drives a Ram diesel by the way, and says he would not own a new car). An acquantaince had her BMW M5 fail to start- actually it acted like the battery had been removed. They towed it to the dealer and waited 6 weeks for an entire new dash electronic "system" to be shipped from Germany. Cost- $5000. This is progress? This is innovation? Makes you wonder if man controls technology or vice versa.