Author Topic: my project, challenged 73  (Read 8054 times)

Offline challngd73

my project, challenged 73
« on: February 09, 2010 - 01:56:42 PM »
Well, I hope to make some progress on my car this year, so I guess i can start a build thread eh? I bought my 73 Challenger in July 2009. Drove from upstate NY to Boston to pick it up. Needless to say it wasnt as flawless as the owner had described, but I still figured it was a decent deal and trailered it home. Shortly after driving it, I realized I needed to make it more mine, which meant improving handling, performance, style and comfort. My previous car was a 500 horse Trans Am that handled quite well, so the 70's handling is not quite what im used too.

this is how she came home..

and a couple pics in its current state...

Now, eventually, I want to add a Hotchkis suspension, stroke the 440 to 512, back it by a tko 5 speed. Put a 6 pack fuel injection kit on it, paint it, pepper grey metallic with a flat black hood, spoiler and single t/a style stripe. The interior I will be adding some nice carpet, modern leather seats, power windows, air conditioning yada yada yada...it will be a heavy lady, but I need comfort too.

here are some of the parts I have added over the winter.

some angel eye halogen headlamps

a 950 race proform to tide me over till my fuel injection goes on...

some new black chrome exhaust tips for my new side exit exhaust

and led replacement bulbs for all taillights and parking lamps

and my new chrome gas cap...looks just a little better than that rusted cap from the first pic..

it will be slow progress, but I will post more when there is more to post
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010 - 02:12:38 PM by ebodyfan »

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: my project, challenged 73
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010 - 04:29:22 PM »
I've seen pics of this car before.  It really looks nice.  I need to make one suggestion though.

Someone has removed the front bumper guards/filler panels that the 73-74 cars recieved from the factory.  Your car has a real mean look to it and removing the guards was the right thing to do.  I would suggest that you remove the rear guards as well and move the bumper in closer to the body like the 70-72 cars.  It would complete the look and it wouldn't cost you 1 cent.  Just remove the guards and filler pieces, cut the bumper brackets, move the bumper in and re-weld the brackets.

Other than that, you have a great looking car.  Side exit exhaust will look good since you have the standard rear valence.

Offline challngd73

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010 - 04:41:22 PM »
Thank you.  That is definetly in the works...I really dont like the rear bumper the way she is now. 

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010 - 10:55:17 PM »
Very nice car.  A lot better than what I started with.  Theres been lots of good discussion about suspension mods, so do some searching on this forum...all the info is there.   :cheers:
I'm taking at least 120 lbs off the front of my car by going to aluminum heads, intake and industrial battery in the trunk.  I changed to 1970 bumpers too.
Phil

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 - 11:22:11 PM »
Where did you find the headlights? Have any pictures of them on the car?
Chris, Ohio

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010 - 12:45:19 AM »
good looking car love those exhaust tips!! where did you get the led bulbs? those are sweet!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:19:17 AM »
Please post some pics of the LED bulbs installed and turned on.  I've seen some that don't throw out very much light.  There are LED conversion kits for your tail lights.  I've seen pics of those and they look really good.  It involves putting an LED light board inside the tail light...it's more than just changing a bulb.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010 - 12:13:56 PM »
Those LED bulbs are on EBAY for about $7 a pair.  36 LED bulbs
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline challngd73

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010 - 12:18:22 PM »
both the headlights and LED bulbs I got off ebay.  I know there are better LED kits out there, I just figured they were better than what I had.  I will spray the inside of the housings with high heat chrome to get better reflection.  I will post pictures when I am done.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010 - 12:24:00 PM »
Very nice!  I've got a soft spot for Purple Challengers with 71 style stripes.  Really like your wheel choice as well.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline brianz426

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010 - 12:58:06 PM »
Very nice Challenger, looking forward to the pics after you install the LED's

Offline challngd73

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:53:50 AM »
well, got the car lowered in the rear, led's in, proform carb on, and halo's in..too late to post too many pics, but here is a blurry shot of the halo's...gonna switch them to white lights but i like em...

Offline challngd73

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:37:23 PM »
daytime shot of the headlights...

couple shots of the car sitting a little lower now.  its crappy out, so they are just a couple garage shots.  will get better pics when its nicer out..

Offline challngd73

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:47:37 PM »
for comparison sake, this is how high it sat before...

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:53:25 PM »
It looks a lot better down low. :thumbsup: