Author Topic: Torsion Bar Crossmember  (Read 6968 times)

Offline aduc73

Torsion Bar Crossmember
« on: February 11, 2010 - 04:21:53 PM »
Hi all,

Im gonna buy 73 Cuda, it look good but the crossmember need to replace. My question is how hard this will be done? Is it expensive to replace this torsionbar crossmember?

I know crossmember connect to front frame rail, so if we replace it, will it affect the body structure?

Thank so much,

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Torsion Bar Crossmember
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 - 04:25:47 PM »
It shouldn't be a problem for someone who knows what they are doing.  Anytime you need to replace a structural component you need to brace the body to keep everything from twisting.  A pro should have no trouble replacing that X-member.  What it will cost just depends on who you have do the work and if more damage is found once things start being cut out.

Show us some pictures of your Cuda please.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 - 09:56:31 PM »
Lots of the guys on this forum are replacing the crossmember themselves, Maybe you could do it yourself too.
If the Xmember is rusty, might look the car over for other rust...floors under seats, trunk floor, rear quarters behind wheels, etc.  I've been told there is usually more rust than you first find.  On my chally the roof had a little surface rust, then later found old bondo hiding a large rust thru area....had to replace the roof and drip rails which added to the cost I was not expecting.
Phil

Offline 73RallyeChallenger

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010 - 08:11:14 AM »
Only the torsion bar is rotted? How does that happen? When mine was replaced, we found rot in the inner rocker panel, and front frame rails as well. If you are thinking of hiring a shop to do it, it will probably be around 30-40 hours of labor to replace it, regardless of what the shop tells you. This was my experience. Here is a pic of a shop replacing mine. Keep in mind that my floor was not rotted through, but removed to fix some previous hack/backyard repairs.
73 Triple Black 340 Challenger
70 Plum Crazy T/A Challenger - work in progress (AGAR)

Offline aduc73

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010 - 09:40:11 PM »
Not only Xmember, look like floor and front frame too. The car listed on eBay, auction has end "Reserve not meet" ($10.000.01) so I up here some pic, see what you guys think.

Only the torsion bar is rotted? How does that happen? When mine was replaced, we found rot in the inner rocker panel, and front frame rails as well. If you are thinking of hiring a shop to do it, it will probably be around 30-40 hours of labor to replace it, regardless of what the shop tells you. This was my experience. Here is a pic of a shop replacing mine. Keep in mind that my floor was not rotted through, but removed to fix some previous hack/backyard repairs.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010 - 10:08:06 PM »
IMO that car looks kinda rough for $10,000 reserve not met.  I paid a little over that for mine and did not have bad rust thru like that.  I even considered buying a A-body duster/dart..could get a lot of car for that kind of money.
Your picture shows rust thru Xmember, right where front frame rail joins.  With engine and steering pulling/pushing on the frame rail, it could be out of position, or could have bent other sheet metal as the frame moved around.
I'd keep looking.  :2cents:
Phil

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010 - 10:54:26 PM »
IMO that car looks kinda rough for $10,000 reserve not met.  I paid a little over that for mine and did not have bad rust thru like that.  I even considered buying a A-body duster/dart..could get a lot of car for that kind of money.
Your picture shows rust thru Xmember, right where front frame rail joins.  With engine and steering pulling/pushing on the frame rail, it could be out of position, or could have bent other sheet metal as the frame moved around.
I'd keep looking.  :2cents:
:iagree:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Challenga

• All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy......
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010 - 08:20:18 PM »
Youch!!  For 10k you could buy yourself a great car that doesn't have structural members rusted out for sure.  Personally i would rather buy a car that is dented up vs. rusted through areas.  If the cross member is that bad, you will have some surprises for sure once you dig in and start taking it apart.
1970 - Challenger A66 - Go-man-go!

Offline aduc73

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010 - 06:00:46 PM »

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010 - 06:15:02 PM »
5k or 6k the frame is the problem
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010 - 07:00:53 PM »
The current owner is proud of that 'Cuda! I think the car is a can of worms.
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline aduc73

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010 - 01:19:48 PM »
Could anyone tell me if the cuda below has a factory A/C or not? Seller said it has A/C but has been remove

Thanks so very much

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010 - 01:28:21 PM »
Yes, that car came from the factory with A/C.

The way to tell is that on an A/C car, the blower motor can be removed from the engine compartment.  Non-A/C motors mount from inside the car.

Is that a 318 or 340 car?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 - 01:30:12 PM by burdar »

Offline aduc73

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010 - 01:40:23 PM »
Thanks,

Its 318

Yes, that car came from the factory with A/C.

The way to tell is that on an A/C car, the blower motor can be removed from the engine compartment.  Non-A/C motors mount from inside the car.

Is that a 318 or 340 car?

Offline aduc73

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010 - 04:00:50 PM »
I start this thread but havent found 70-74 barracuda yet, Im currently look at a 73, 318 automatic, I would like to have it as a daily driver.

My question is, how smooth these barracuda auto transmission work? I mean are they as smooth as modern car or they clunking while shifting?

And is it easy to catch the traffic at red light?

Thank in advance