Author Topic: Torsion Bar Crossmember  (Read 6972 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Torsion Bar Crossmember
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010 - 04:13:32 PM »
No 35+ year old vehicle is going to be as smooth as a new car...but if everything is in working order, the trans should shift pretty nice.  If it is rough or "clunking", you could have a bad U-joint or the trans could even have a shift kit in it.  If the later is the case, the shifts will be rougher.

By the looks of that engine compartment, you've got some work to do in order to drive that on a daily basis...nothing major, but it looks like its been sitting for awhile.

Got any more pics of the car?   

Offline aduc73

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010 - 04:25:50 PM »
Thanks a lot burdar,

I have 67 barracuda, 273, 3sp column, you know, it kind of hard to catch up with traffic at red light, intersection..

I dont know if driving a barracuda 73, 318, auto trans would be better?

No 35+ year old vehicle is going to be as smooth as a new car...but if everything is in working order, the trans should shift pretty nice.  If it is rough or "clunking", you could have a bad U-joint or the trans could even have a shift kit in it.  If the later is the case, the shifts will be rougher.

By the looks of that engine compartment, you've got some work to do in order to drive that on a daily basis...nothing major, but it looks like its been sitting for awhile.

Offline aduc73

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010 - 04:52:20 PM »

hehe..i missed that. here some more pic:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010 - 05:06:38 PM »
that`s a lot of rust for a daily driver...  I think that car will not be save to drive at all unless it`s restored completely  :2cents:   remember these are unibodies. that much rust will have a serious effect on road behaviour... not to mention what happens in an accident  :eek4:
I think the TF 727  is an awesome trans  :2thumbs:  shifting smooth when cruizin and kicks in nice when you floor it  :burnout:   I love it  :bigshades:
*** Bart ***

Offline aduc73

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010 - 06:20:53 PM »
... not to mention what happens in an accident  :eek4:
I think the TF 727  is an awesome trans  :2thumbs:  shifting smooth when cruizin and kicks in nice when you floor it  :burnout:   I love it  :bigshades:

hehe, thats funny

thanks though

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010 - 07:02:06 PM »
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010 - 06:52:43 PM »
you should check this one out to buy
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=67336.0
If you're going to spend this kind of money, this is what you can get.  I would NOT give $2K for that car on Ebay with the $10K 'reserve not met'.  Trust me, I've been in the position that you are in now; DON'T BUY A RUST  BUCKET!
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline Challenga

• All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy......
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010 - 09:37:41 PM »
 :iagree:

Even a car that looks perfect has rust.  That car looks like a rust bucket.  Imagine what it looks like with it's shirt off.....er....ahah....when you get it stripped down.  Maybe you should look at what panels cost and how much the labor is before you go bidding on a project like that.  I bought my car with no visible rust...no rusted through places...nothing.  Then when I got it home and stripped her down, it looks like I have to buy a couple couple of panels and some floor boards.  All I am saying is be careful on that $10k rusted project.
1970 - Challenger A66 - Go-man-go!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010 - 01:51:12 AM »
Where are you located aduc73?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010 - 01:55:31 AM by 360 »

Offline aduc73

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010 - 02:23:51 AM »
Hi,

Im from Loron, Virginia

Where are you located aduc73?

Offline rhamson

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010 - 09:40:15 AM »
You can get a lot more car for the money.  I would pass on this one for that kind of money.

You might look at this or search more on this site.

http://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/1660139091.html

Offline aduc73

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010 - 09:55:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I gonna buy a 73 Barracuda from Illinois (not that rusty one hehe), waiting for transaction.

This is my first time buy a muscle car out-of-state, my question is, do I need to travel to Illinois to have a bill-of-sale sign, go to dmv in Illinois(do I need to??), do I need to pay taxes there?

And how am I going to register the car in Virginia? Do I need an odometer statement from a owner?

Thank so very much

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010 - 10:21:59 AM »
congratz  :2thumbs:     got any pics to share?
*** Bart ***

Offline Challenga

• All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy......
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010 - 10:42:32 PM »
Aduc73 - We need some more info.  How are you buying it?  Advertisement, craigslist, ebay.....how?  Basically I am asking how you are exchanging money.......did you put a down payment on paypal?  Does the guy have an clear title for the car or is it a bill of sale car?  If he has a clear title you can just get him to sign the title when you pick up the car and bring it back to your home state.  You do not need to pay taxes in Illinois, but when you register the car in your home state you will pay taxes on the purchase price.  The purchase price, along with odometer reading, is written on the clear title or bill of sale.  Personally I would not give any money until I see the car.  I don't trust people when it comes to buying old cars.

This is just my 2 cents. I am not a lawyer or anything.....I am a contract guy though and I bought 2 out of state cars in the last 6 months. 
1970 - Challenger A66 - Go-man-go!

Offline aduc73

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010 - 06:51:12 PM »
Thank so much Challenga,

Aduc73 - We need some more info.  How are you buying it?  Advertisement, craigslist, ebay.....how?  Basically I am asking how you are exchanging money.......did you put a down payment on paypal?  Does the guy have an clear title for the car or is it a bill of sale car?  If he has a clear title you can just get him to sign the title when you pick up the car and bring it back to your home state.  You do not need to pay taxes in Illinois, but when you register the car in your home state you will pay taxes on the purchase price.  The purchase price, along with odometer reading, is written on the clear title or bill of sale.  Personally I would not give any money until I see the car.  I don't trust people when it comes to buying old cars.

This is just my 2 cents. I am not a lawyer or anything.....I am a contract guy though and I bought 2 out of state cars in the last 6 months.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010 - 05:14:24 PM by aduc73 »