Author Topic: Need rear axle interchangability info: Years and models for 1971 E Body  (Read 605 times)

Offline DocMel

Folks    I have a 1971 Barrcuda, originally a slant 6 motor  (Still hard to beleive that was an available option!)

Basically, I'm about done with my 440 conversion, except for the rear axle:   Its the original rear axle,  a 8 1/4"

Im looking for either a 8 3/4 or Dana 60 complete rear axle.  Im not worried about posi, just want to replace my current axle with a  8 3/4 or Dana 60 rear axle complete.   Id like a rear end ratio of  3:23 or very close to it

I'm looking for what years and model MOPARS that had either a 8 3/4 or Dana 60 rear axle that would be a direct and complete swap out, no mods needed replacement for the current 8 1/4 axle I have in my 71 Barracuda.  I need to keep the  4.5" bolt pattern for my wheels

Measurements would also be a great help in case I hit a graveyard to ensure Im getiing an exact fit rear axle   

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Need rear axle interchangability info: Years and models for 1971 E Body
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 - 10:00:12 PM »
if yer close to me, I got one for you

ALABAMA

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 - 10:55:02 PM »
Most all Mopar rears are (4 on some a-bodys)4 1/2 bolt pattern so that is not a problem. The fast answer is any e-body 70-74 .You can go with a 68-70 Body with just changing the spring mount/shackles to the offset ones sold in a kit. These are much easier to find.(b-body rears)
If you went to the 440 you may want to reconsider the suregrip. More power and a peg leg will make for a lot of wheel spin. :burnout:
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010 - 11:22:28 AM »
the Dana was not available with 3.23
there is a gear set listed for the dana in that range but I tried to order it & it never showed up , the highest ratio is the 3.54

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t