Author Topic: Bare Metal Protection  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Bare Metal Protection
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010 - 10:45:46 PM »
Topcat, that's a great idea. I should of thought of that! Don't need any surprises when I bring it to him. I'm leaning strongly towards that picklex20 stuff, but I will clear it wth him first. And thanks for the heads up on the use of gloves. I was wondering how that stuff was applied, and definitely don't need it to eat my hands up!

I'd get the picklex too. The metal etch stuff I bought at ACE hardware I used is just a 4 to 1 mix with water.
My car is very rust free so I really didn't think it needs it except in certain places. 

Incidentally, I wore gloves on Monday putting it on the inside of my trunk lid. I still ended up got some on my hand. It's like a dry minor rash now. I have bad skin on my hands so take it from me. Chemicals will wear your skins resistance out over time and then you become more sensitive to stuff like this later.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010 - 11:10:36 PM »
Just use Picklex,your body guy will be happy,welding patches and doing metal work with alot less spatter and the best part,there is no need to grind any coatings like primer off,

there is no need to dilute or rinse off and it dries faster than other metal conditioners ,smells like it has alot of rubbing alcohol in it,so take it easy and wear a good mask,unless you want to be working drunk :grinyes: 
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Jimmy

• THE Challenge(r)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010 - 02:10:18 PM »
Not sure if the quality of my work will improve if I'm drunk, but you never know!!! :drunk:
1973 Challenger w/440
1967 Camaro RS w/502
1967 Mustang w/302
1965 Ford F100 w/429

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010 - 09:36:03 PM »
The East Wood rust remover is very similar to Picklex, either will work and leave a phosphate coating on the metal.

Offline Jimmy

• THE Challenge(r)
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010 - 10:56:54 PM »
Thanks!
1973 Challenger w/440
1967 Camaro RS w/502
1967 Mustang w/302
1965 Ford F100 w/429

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010 - 09:31:21 PM »
I'd never use that over bare metal, should have bought epoxy, no matter what the label says, same reason I'd never apply Evercoat Fetherfill, Slicksand,e.t.c. over bare : metal, though their labels say it has great adhesion properties on bare metal and aluminum.I've learned the hard way :2cents

A)the link was for an epoxy primer - which is perfect over metal
B)I've been doing body and paint for 30+ years - and as long as your metal is properly prepped, filler should ALWAYS go over bare metal. 

But - what happened in your case?

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010 - 10:58:52 PM »
A)the link was for an epoxy primer - which is perfect over metal
B)I've been doing body and paint for 30+ years - and as long as your metal is properly prepped, filler should ALWAYS go over bare metal. 

But - what happened in your case?

I've been doing custom body,fab and paint for 20+ years, I've seen just about every possible hack work and done plenty of

for doing regular ding,using filler is ok, but I'd never skim fully stripped panels with filler without epoxy.This is my prefference since I don't want to re-do something down the road just because filler acted as a sponge and absorbed condensation and started corrosion,

evercoat primers do not stick to bare metal,I've seen it plenty with my own eyes from visiting friend's shops and have experienced peeling and blistering of that primer off bare metal that was sanded with 80 grit,it was coming off in sheets, I'm not some butcher or ignorant retard who would cut corners at every chance ,so please  spare the lecture
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010 - 11:30:12 PM »
I'd never use that over bare metal, should have bought epoxy, no matter what the label says, same reason I'd never apply Evercoat Fetherfill, Slicksand,e.t.c. over bare : metal, though their labels say it has great adhesion properties on bare metal and aluminum.I've learned the hard way :2cents

It is an epoxy primer once you add the catylist.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried this particular brand.
Mike, Fremont, CA.