steering column problems

Author Topic: steering column problems  (Read 1535 times)

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
steering column problems
« on: February 18, 2010 - 12:10:06 PM »
When I was mount back my steering column It seems to be about 1/2" to short  ???

The whole front end with k-member and power steering gearbox has been out of the car and the steering column too.

The torsion bars fits in length and no welding or anything has been done to the frame so the k-member must be in right position

I took apart the steering column and cleaned it etc but when I mounted it back it seems to be 1/2" to short

The pin in the power steering end of the steering axel is barely inside the housing so half the plates will be outside the housing

:clueless:
I hope some one understand how I mean  :grinno:
Best regards from a
A tired swede

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 - 12:29:23 PM by tomsa »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: steering column problems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010 - 12:35:06 PM »
The shaft is designed to collapse in case of an accident.  Your shaft might have been pushed in while it was out of the car?  It most likely can just be pulled back out.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 - 01:24:35 PM »
The shaft is designed to collapse in case of an accident.  Your shaft might have been pushed in while it was out of the car?  It most likely can just be pulled back out.

Where is it suppoused to collapse?
It´s a solid metal axle from the steering wheel to the steering box or am I wrong :clueless:

Can something had changed position  inside the "axelhousing" like some bearing positions or something like that?
I can´t see anything that´s has been moved and all positions are placed where I think they should be according to what I can see in the service manual and in my old pics before I took it appart :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 - 01:57:50 PM by tomsa »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010 - 02:27:04 PM »
Yes, it does collapse.  It's designs to do so in case of a head on accident.  It doesn't move easily, but it does move.  If you took it out and now you're putting it back in and it's to short it must have been bumped while it was out and caused it to collapse a bit.  If you were to take the column apart you would find that the small metal shaft inside the round metal column is actual two pieces sleeved in side one another.  That's how it collapses.

Or maybe I'm losing my mind and making this all up?   :clueless:  na...

Where is it suppoused to collapse?
It´s a solid metal axle from the steering wheel to the steering box or am I wrong :clueless:

Can something had changed position  inside the "axelhousing" like some bearing positions or something like that?
I can´t see anything that´s has been moved and all positions are placed where I think they should be according to what I can see in the service manual and in my old pics before I took it appart :dunno:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010 - 03:28:32 PM »
 :-[ Yes  Just back from garage and I found it
Must be really tired  :clueless:
The shaft was out of the column earlier to but I didn´t saw that  :screwy: :D so I took it out again

Don´t know how it has been moved but it was----------about 3/4" I guess

Thanks  :worshippy

Yes, it does collapse.  It's designs to do so in case of a head on accident.  It doesn't move easily, but it does move.  If you took it out and now you're putting it back in and it's to short it must have been bumped while it was out and caused it to collapse a bit.  If you were to take the column apart you would find that the small metal shaft inside the round metal column is actual two pieces sleeved in side one another.  That's how it collapses.

Or maybe I'm losing my mind and making this all up?   :clueless:  na...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010 - 01:18:12 PM »
There are actually two small holes in the main steering shaft where the two pieces interconnect that hold plastic pins...my pins were gone but filled with what I assume is JB weld.

Probably not as safe if I head-on something.

But my point was that if your holes are empty, the shaft could in theory collapse while driving, so be  sure to get something in those holes to prevent that. The plastic pins would probably be the best route...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010 - 01:29:43 PM »
the shaft cannot collapse while driving , it is connected to the steering box at the bottom end & bolted to the dash at the top end

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010 - 02:47:09 PM »
There are actually two small holes in the main steering shaft where the two pieces interconnect that hold plastic pins...my pins were gone but filled with what I assume is JB weld.

Probably not as safe if I head-on something.

But my point was that if your holes are empty, the shaft could in theory collapse while driving, so be  sure to get something in those holes to prevent that. The plastic pins would probably be the best route...

My plastic pins where still there so I just "knocked" the shaft softly out about 3/4"

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010 - 07:23:58 AM »
The pins may have still been there in the holes but they arent doing anything if the shaft was 3/4" collapsed.

I could be way off, but I thought the plastic pins were there to prevent accidental compression of the steering shaft.

In the factory manual, it cautions when removing the sterring wheel etc not to hammer on the shaft because it will collapse.

:dunno:

I would say the otehr folks her woudl know much better for sure...I am a newbie at this....but it seems that the shaft is built to collapse on any forward impact on the steering wheel regardless of whether the front end of teh car is pushed back or not.....??

I can see how it cant collpase while driving what with the "coffee can" in place...that would have to crush first I guess....but if that is the case, why even have the plastic pins to begin with?

:dunno: :clueless: :dunno: :clueless: :dunno: :clueless: :dunno: :clueless:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010 - 08:33:55 AM »
The plastic pins are just there to keep things tight and prevent rattles, as CP said once installed this would'nt be an issue. Just my  :2cents:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010 - 09:03:19 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010 - 08:54:00 AM »
Well, thats good to know..I was wondring in the back of my mind if my column was ok the way it is.....

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010 - 09:44:27 PM »
Well, thats good to know..I was wondring in the back of my mind if my column was ok the way it is.....
I was wondering the same thing. I've always thought that the steering shaft would be no good after it collapsed. Like a "one time use" kind of thing.
Always something to learn every time I sign in. :2thumbs:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010 - 11:26:08 PM »
essentially true, if the small retainer pin is not in the coupler the shaft could slide back far enough to disconnect I guess

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t