Author Topic: Trans Dip Stick, fluid coming out!!!  (Read 806 times)

Offline Glennster

Trans Dip Stick, fluid coming out!!!
« on: February 21, 2010 - 04:09:19 PM »
I just took the 727 for a short but hard run through 1st and 2nd. I came back and found tranny fluid spilled in the dog house. Does the rubber puck on the dip stick need to fit tight?
Mine does not. What's the best/right way to keep it sealed???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Trans Dip Stick, fluid coming out!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010 - 04:11:12 PM »
the O ring on the tube needs to be snug , the bolt on the tube also needs to be bolted to th e belhousing bolt to secure the tube

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Glennster

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010 - 05:45:59 PM »
The O ring on the tube where it goes into the tranny is good, I even put a little RTV around the top edge to help seal it. The tube is bolted to the bell housing.
  The dipstick was not all the way in the tube when I saw the mess with the tranny fluid, I'm sure the fluid came out the top of the tube. The fit on the dipstick it not very tight. I thought the rubber plug at the top of the dipstick might be the problem. It seems like that plug should fit real tight.....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010 - 06:33:31 PM »
never seen fluid make it out of the top of the dipstick tube

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010 - 08:21:03 PM »
Sounds like the vent is plugged up behind the tq converter. usually not a big deal unless doing a bunch of high rpms like racing. We used to drill a hole in the top of the trans and plug the one behind the tq con off, then run a tube up the back of the bell housing. But you shouldnt need to do that. So fluid may be getting to hot and boiling. How close are your lines to the exhaust?

Offline Glennster

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010 - 09:43:37 PM »
The lines run kind of close to the exhaust, but I didn't run it long enough to boil anything. I would say it's a vent issue long before it could have been a heat problem. It was less than 40 degrees outside and I only ran the car for 15 -20 minute. Plus, I have a good size tranny cooler in front of the radiator.
  My daughter was home from Purdue for the weekend and I've been looking forward to doing a NASCAR burn out with her sitting shotgun. The poor girl almost pooped herself when I did it. I went to an in industrial park about a mile from my house, cranked the wheel a little to the left, hammered it, did a 180 and proceeded to roast the tires for about 100 feet. I think that's when the tranny fluid came out............