Author Topic: any electric guitar players in the house?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
any electric guitar players in the house?
« on: February 21, 2010 - 06:59:58 PM »
I bought a guitar the other day so me and my daughter can start learning to play together and I need a second amp. The other guitar is a knock off strat that seems to be ok but the small silverstone amp is junk. I was pointed in the direction of Line 6 amps and am looking hard at a Spyder IV 15w that I can get on musiciansfriend for 100 bucks. Seems to have good reviews. Just wondering what you guys would get for a small home amp with some good sound quality for low dough. The guitar I bought by the way is an Ibanez RG 270. It also seems like it will be decent, at least a step above the Silverstone special I bought at Hastings a few years ago. Thanks for any tips you guys can give me.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: any electric guitar players in the house?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010 - 07:15:02 PM »
I have a Kramer electric and had a Line 6 Spider III 15w amp.  After playing with a friend who has a Fender Frontman 25R amp, I bought a used Fender 15w DSP, I personally think the sound is much better from the Fender amp, especially using the clean setting, and I turned around and sold my Line 6 for the same price as the Fender.

Here are two I would suggest:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-15R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480668
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-25-DSP-Frontman-Combo-Amp?sku=481136

I DSP is cool because in addition to the reverb that the other two provide, it also has a number of other amp voicings, in addition to delay, tremelo, etc like the Line 6 offers.

Good luck, and keep practicing!
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010 - 08:13:52 PM »
  I would say go for a Fender or Orange combo, but if you want to keep the price down, try a Traynor. They are a good Canadian amp company that used to be very close to 60's and 70's Ampegs, they now are producing a variety of Amps again. Ultimately it comes down to what sound you are looking for and how deep your pockets are - guitars and amps are just like our cars, they burn through your finances rapidly. As for the Line 6, they make some interesting pedals, the Amps are Ok. You will know what best for you, if you are not recording or touring all you need is something simple.

I'm a sucker for amps, and guitars. Good luck.

Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline Slotts

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010 - 09:37:11 PM »
I was always a sucker for Marshall. I had 100 watt tube amps with the 4 x 12 cabinets. My son has a small Marshall MG30 DXF and it's ok with some nice effects built in.

Slotts

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010 - 10:01:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I dont know exactly which way I will go but at least now I have a direction.   :2thumbs:
*Brett*

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010 - 06:48:35 AM »
The Marshall MG's are a good amp for the price :2thumbs:
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010 - 07:14:52 AM »
Yeah I was looking at a Marshall MG30 and even though the price was still great, it was a little too much amp for me and 100 bucks is 100 bucks. I ended up getting a Fender FM 25 DSP. The clincher for me was my cousin recommending it as well. He has played both privately and professionally for years. When I remembered I had him on facebook I promptly hit him up with my needs and that is the amp he suggested. Thanks all for the tips, ksierens your suggestions put me right where I needed to be, thanks again.
*Brett*

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010 - 08:51:36 PM »
The best advice anyone can give you about amps & guitars is check them out for yourself and see what you like.  That said, at this stage of your learning guitar you're really only looking for something decent.  Line6 Spiders, Vox, Blackheart, Peavy and Fender all have decent low priced amps.  If you have a Guitar Center or some decent mom & pop music stores go check them out.  As long as you can get one or two decent tones out of an amp that's all you really need while you're learning.  Good luck & have fun.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010 - 10:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am the epitomy of novice lol. I got my stuff today though. Ibanez RG 270 seems to be pretty nice. I got the Fender amp and it you can do some freaky stuff with it. Nice quiet amp with lots of power for just a practice amp. Thanks for all the tips guys, now I just have to learn something lol.
*Brett*

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010 - 10:04:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am the epitomy of novice lol. I got my stuff today though. Ibanez RG 270 seems to be pretty nice. I got the Fender amp and it you can do some freaky stuff with it. Nice quiet amp with lots of power for just a practice amp. Thanks for all the tips guys, now I just have to learn something lol.

My first guitar was an RG, great all round guitar.  I still have it .... and more than a couple more.  Have fun.

Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010 - 06:35:05 AM »
I always wanted to learn how to play and just got back into it with a cheap strat copy and Fender 15g amp,not bad for $100 and I can upgrade later if I really get into it.I did have a nice Fender Telecaster when I was youg but never really learned how to play it.If you haven`t yet go on Youtube as theres lots of instuctional vids on there,my new best friend is marty schwartz,check him out.  :ylsuper:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010 - 05:14:58 PM »
I bought a guitar the other day so me and my daughter can start learning to play together and I need a second amp. The other guitar is a knock off strat that seems to be ok but the small silverstone amp is junk.

I think I got the same set up you have and agree the Silvertone amp is JUNK!  Weird, but way before I got the guitar I found a cool 45w Squire Champ 15G amp that someone threw out (Just sitting on top of the garbage can!  Figured I might need it one day so I grabbed it...  :dunno: ) and it makes a world of difference!  Could always check around craiglist locally to pick up an amp once you feel around which ones you like.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger