Author Topic: Carpet  (Read 887 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Carpet
« on: February 23, 2010 - 04:17:16 AM »
This is my carpet.  The picture was taken before I recieved the car so the interior os pretty trashed up.  What color is that?  Looks to be maroon but I have not found a factory color that matches it and the rest of the interior is black.  Is it faded black?  The door carpets are sort of black, but faded.    Anyway it would match the exterior if the color was even, but it's not.   Can this be dyed?  Can it be dyed without removing it from the car?

Offline Canadian Cuda

Re: Carpet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010 - 04:28:32 AM »
look under the seat. my is that it's faded black, my carpet was the same when i removed. i guess you could dye it but they are availabe new for very reasonable.
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010 - 12:00:30 PM »
definatly faded black

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010 - 12:02:42 PM »
Cool thanks guys. I am keeping it until I put in a 4 or 5 speed.  That might be a while though.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:35:03 AM »
Get some vinyl and leather spray from Walmart or AutoZone and spray it.  That will work till you replace it.

I've spray painted carpet before a sale.......

It would be easier to take it out, hang it up at a quarter car wash (using the mat clips on the wall) and blast it first. Let it dry, then spray away. It'll look brand new.    Wait till you see how much filth washes out of that carpet.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:43:54 AM »
Thanks Shelbydog.

If you go to the bookstore <barnes ~ borders>  there is a book about restoring interiors.  They have a section in it about dyeing old carpet.  The catch is you do it right in the car so it does not shrink. 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:57:14 AM »
Thanks Shelbydog.

If you go to the bookstore <barnes ~ borders>  there is a book about restoring interiors.  They have a section in it about dyeing old carpet.  The catch is you do it right in the car so it does not shrink.

Yes, I leave it in too.  Washing it out and drying it in the sun, may shrink it.    Spraying the seat belts works too.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010 - 12:46:05 PM »
If you realy rub in black shoe polish. But you have to rub it in good or it will come off.

Offline PlumCrazyChris

• Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010 - 11:56:01 PM »
I agree, definately black.  Just vacume it, and spray paint it.  Use a piece of cardboard to block the overspray from anything you don't want black and let er rip (in a well ventilated place of course).  Flat black works fine.  If you use something with a sheen and get it too heavy it looks funny.  It will last that way for a long time.

Make sure its dry before you track any dirt on it.

PlumCrazyChris
Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
Round Rock Tx
70 Challenger 5.7, A518, A/C
70 Challenger 340 convertible (Gone to Sweden)
68 Barracuda (sold it too)
www.mopar.org