IS IT TIME TO BUY OR KEEP WAITING

Author Topic: IS IT TIME TO BUY OR KEEP WAITING  (Read 2582 times)

Offline battrm

IS IT TIME TO BUY OR KEEP WAITING
« on: February 23, 2010 - 06:11:43 PM »
I have been wanting an E-BODY car for years.  I never thought that I would be
able to afford one.  Now that prices have been coming down for a couple of years
I think I will be able to buy one.  Do you guys think they have hit rock bottom or
do you guys think they will continue to come down.  Don't  have alot of money
so I would like to get as much for the money as I can.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: IS IT TIME TO BUY OR KEEP WAITING
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010 - 06:14:30 PM »
A post was just made today  (see Ebay / Cragslist deals )  for a 74 challenger all there for 2k.  There are good buildable cars out there now

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010 - 06:35:38 PM »
Nobody has a crystal ball, so all we can do is speculate as to whether or not prices have hit bottom or if that is yet to come.
In any investment, prices rarely "bounce back" quickly, so when prices do hit bottom, they will probably fluctuate around in that range before they start to creep back up, so don't worry about missing a brief window of opportunity to buy cheap!  :2cents:

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010 - 06:46:42 PM »
time to buy....started last summer..........

Austrailians are starting to buy again so get it before they take em all.......LOL
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010 - 06:58:17 PM »
I'd say now! The economy is improving,people are starting to get back to work so the "fire sales" are going to dry up very soon in my opinion. I'm thinking the prices will start going up soon?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010 - 07:00:22 PM »
what car and what price range are you interested in?  yr model? 

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010 - 07:05:33 PM »
Bottoms are a hard thing to pick unless you have long hands. Okay bad  :roflsmiley:

Actually we have an economy in uncharted waters so the bottom is probably not in yet or maybe it is. Chances are we are going to bounce sideways, then a little up, a little down, and then sideways and repeat this dance again and again.

I’d enjoy understanding the socioeconomics better of classic car ownership. A company like Hagerty could probably pull together some interesting data. My late Father and Uncle fueled my passion for vintage cars. I’ve been an active participate since I could crawl to the garage.

I’m 56 years old and have watched values rise and fall in 10-15 years waves. The peaks build quickly and last just a few years and the valleys are longer in duration. Recent live media events, Barrett Jackson on SPEED and ESPN auctions gave this last ride some pretty tall peaks. How cars are bought and sold has changed a lot to with E-bay, Craig’s List, and others. Just 10 years ago you got a Hemming’s magazine, that’s it!

I’ve met a lot of people who financed the cars of their dreams and shouldn’t have. Cars are to be enjoyed and if you make some money hooray! My philosophy is never paying (always cash) more than what you could sell it for in distress.

The bottom (fall) of the $100,000.00 market is also a lot different than an entry level car. Both can offer the same level of passion and fun just at different prices. Buy what you can afford to enjoy even if it’s a plastic model.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010 - 08:39:54 PM »
I've bought two more e-bodies this month. A 70 and a 71 Barracuda and both were very good deals. Too good to pass up. I have family members that I have planned to build cars for and the economy is really helping me out.
My son just bought a rock solid 70 Challenger, less drivetrain for $500. I never thought he would be able to buy another one that cheap.
I say start looking. If the economy gets much worse, it may not be wise to spend any money and if it gets better, the prices will go up quickly.
Your call.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010 - 08:53:50 PM »
The vultures are always circling.  It is a good time to buy. If you don't do it soon, wait until next Winter.  I'm always looking,Prices are dropping slightly. There are cars still out there. Plus a ton of good repro parts. I'll be picking up something within a year.Hoping for a '70 RR/GTX.   Most cost effective in would be a 72-4 Chally, Then a 72-4 B'cuda. The A bods are in a good price range too... And Faster/Lighter. I sure wish I had this site to help prior to buying. Some great people and advice here.

WELCOME[move]

'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010 - 10:44:02 PM »
.Hoping for a '70 RR/GTX.   Most cost effective in would be a 72-4 Chally, Then a 72-4 B'cuda. The A bods are in a good price range too... And Faster/Lighter. I sure wish I had this site to help prior to buying. Some great people and advice here.

WELCOME[move]

From what I've seen as of late, I couldn't restore my GTX for what I could buy one for. I'm sure you could find something.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010 - 11:07:22 PM »
They once asked JP Morgan what the market was going to do....his reply, "Fluctate."
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010 - 02:29:45 AM »
time to buy....started last summer..........

Austrailians are starting to buy again so get it before they take em all.......LOL
[/quo

te]

YEP ..............OUR DOLLAR IS NEARLY BACK UP TO 90 CENTS , SO LOOK OUT BOYS WE WILL BE STEALING A FEW OUT FROM UNDER YOURE NOSES.....
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010 - 03:00:09 AM »
Time to buy...  :2thumbs: facts first: our 'Cuda's (Challengers don't matter) are down 20 to 29% respectively regarding the vehicles class.  By class I mean the category the car falls into value wise.  The values that I speak of are relative to what everyone above has referred to as the peaks from the last eBay/Barrett Jackson/CraigsList decade.  For example, and this is definitely arguable: a driver restored 1971 Barracuda with gill's never sold for less than $35K.  That car has sold repeatedly for about $28K over recent months/year: a 20% drop.  From what I've seen, asking prices for this particular car are falling to $30-1K and they are selling for $28K.

My  :2cents: is that this information may not be universal and it will fluctuate.  But I had been looking for a cuda vert since 2001 / saving since 2005 / landed it in 2008.  It only happened because the price was down.  Now, I am looking at another one because the price might be right and it would/will cost me double the difference to get this one to that ones level.

Do your homework first.  If you don't, you may regret the purchase (I don't know your knowledge).  But most importantly!  Buy now!!!  :horse:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010 - 03:53:26 AM »

Time to buy is definitely now or more t the point, 6+ months ago. The market has been steady and rising slowly, if I were going to buy another and had the cash, I'd be seriously looking as we speak. Get in now and enjoy the ride!

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010 - 05:15:59 AM »
Now is a good time to buy so long as you don't over extend yourself.   :money:
If you have a good secure job it will make it easier, but if there is any doubt about finance's you don't want to be put in the position where you will have to sell.   :2cents:
Dave