Questions on carpet & headliner

Author Topic: Questions on carpet & headliner  (Read 3259 times)

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Questions on carpet & headliner
« on: February 26, 2010 - 10:28:26 AM »
Finnally gonna bit the bullet & get to work on the interior, couple a questions on what I need.
Just ordered a sound & insulation kit from eastwood(their own stuff).
So on the carpet, Should I still order the underlay for the carpet or just get carpet & put it over the alumunum coated stuff?
On the headliner, I have a 73 cuda & it has some old crappy cardboard panels for the rear pillar, will the installer cover those, should I buy new ones(old are fairly soft) or will he just bypass all that with the headliner(the guy that did my friends charger did that).
Now where to buy, I want decent stuff & would like to work with people on here rather than a year one or legendary type outfit(I'm a self employed little guy too)  So any info will be helpful!
Thanks,Rich.

Offline burnt orange

Re: Questions on carpet & headliner
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010 - 11:06:10 AM »
 :popcorn:
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010 - 11:11:28 AM »
The first guy to do my interior did not put underlay under the carpet and put it over the fat mat. He also used no insulation in the headliner. The guy who is a mopar fanatic redid the interior and used underlay under the carpet and insulation under the headliner. Also, you don't see the b pilar cardboard but have to instal it as it forms the headliner. As to getting new ones or not I don't know what shape your old ones are in, but they are cheap to buy.My interior was much better the second time with the undrlay and insulation done properly.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010 - 12:30:55 PM »
Roof insulation I have covered gonna use my 1/2" duct liner like I did on the inside of the cowl.
So I'll order the cardboard when I get the headliner & the carpet underlay with the carpet, so whos our resident dealers???  Thanks,Rich.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010 - 07:32:37 PM »
challengers dont have rear sail panels but barracudas do.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010 - 09:19:48 PM »
challengers dont have rear sail panels but barracudas do.

Man I hope thats true because when I pulled the black one out of my car to get ready for the original color white I noticed there were no sail panels. I just assumed the previous owner used headliner material and just omitted the panels.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010 - 02:07:58 AM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010 - 02:09:52 AM by HANDM »

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010 - 04:04:38 PM »
On my '74 'cuda there were vinyl covered cards in the sail panels sitting over the top of the headliner.

My '72 was stripped out before I got it but the headliner I bought for it did not have enough material to cover the sail panels so I assumed the '72 is the same and I made up some cards and covered them in vinyl and installed over the headliner material (like on the '74).

I noticed inside the sail panel there are too many sets of the little "teeth".  You don't need them all - I'm not sure what they are all doing there but maybe for different interior options ??
'72 'cuda

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010 - 05:16:55 PM »
The Challenger cardboard panels went behind the headliner on the b-pillar

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010 - 06:09:02 PM »
Well getting them for behind the headliner seems much simpler than having to get some with matching headliner material right?
*Brett*

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010 - 02:02:56 AM »
I think Dante's sells them

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:28:52 AM »
Before I put my headliner in, I bought some foam carpet padding. The thick stuff that looks like shreaded foam pieces glued together. I put 2 layers up against the roof over the headliner. When running my A/C, the interior is cooler now.   The old padding that was up there was a dusty, dirty mess. At least I know this foam padding won't absorb dust like the old stuff.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010 - 08:40:07 PM »
Before I put my headliner in, I bought some foam carpet padding. The thick stuff that looks like shreaded foam pieces glued together. I put 2 layers up against the roof over the headliner. When running my A/C, the interior is cooler now.   The old padding that was up there was a dusty, dirty mess. At least I know this foam padding won't absorb dust like the old stuff.

Guess what I found for insulation above the black headliner that was in my car?  Insulation! No joke, old fiberglass paper backed insulation that you use for an attic. I was kind of happy I only drove the car maybe 2 years total off and on since I bought it in '94. I cannot believe someone would use that.   :screwy:
*Brett*

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010 - 11:57:01 PM »
I found fiberglass paper backed insulation that you use for an attic.  I cannot believe someone would use that. 

Makes me itchy just thinking about that stuff blowing around when my windows are down.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010 - 05:59:11 AM »
The paper was facing the headliner so I dont think anything ever escaped but it was alarming to say the least when I saw it. Makes you wonder what people are thinking when they do stuff like that.
*Brett*