Author Topic: Help with Subframe connectors... Should they fit like this?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Help with Subframe connectors... Should they fit like this?
« on: February 27, 2010 - 12:53:08 PM »
These don't look to even be close to fitting!  Has anyone used these before and were they this far off?  I'm not even sure who made them!  Does the part number look familiar to anyone?

The gap is over 3/4" of an inch in the middle.  I want to double check and see if maybe I was sent the wrong part, because them seem to long by at least 1.5" or more.  Seems like I'll be doing more fabrication than I should for the quality of the connectors.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010 - 11:54:24 PM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Help with Subframe connectors... Should they fit like this?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010 - 12:59:40 PM »
Wow, that sucks. That is the first time I have seen a picture of just how bad those fit out of the box. Unfortunately I think you will have to do some trimming to get them right Cody. Best of luck and I will be interested to see what the fix is.    :popcorn:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010 - 02:27:04 PM »
man,  that sure is a bad fit...  I have my doubts if trimming will get you there....  should work fine when you have the same problem from front to back, but in the pics it looks like the gaps grow further to the backside.... looks as if the scale is off...  ???
*** Bart ***

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010 - 02:38:05 PM »
You might want to double check they are correct for your car.  The Challenger and Cuda parts are different from what I understand.  Could be a shipping error?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010 - 03:01:39 PM »
You might want to double check they are correct for your car.  The Challenger and Cuda parts are different from what I understand.  Could be a shipping error?

They're just a horrible fit is all and take alot of time fabbing in small pieces to get the clearances right. Once you do get the right weld clearances, you can get them to come out pretty nice.

What I did to keep consistency on trial on and off clearance was to use 2 cut off bolts welded on to the frame. One on each end.

Any on and off and then back on re-checks, changes the weld cleanances unless you are perfect where you had them on prior. Then once they're finally welded in, you just cut off the stud end and weld it shut. This prevents any guesstimates.

Another way is to fabracate cardboard templates first. Then take modified cardboard template measurements and transcribe onto frame connectors.

Here's mine. I have quite a few hours into these.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010 - 03:06:26 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010 - 03:11:32 PM »
Musclecar TV put a set of the XV frame connectors on their 71 Barracuda project and they showed where they test fitted them first then had to 'grind down' spots to get the gaps close enough for a weld to do the rest.... good luck.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010 - 03:45:50 PM »
Thanks guys.  Looks like I got a lot of work ahead of me.  Topcat, did your's fit this poorly when you started?

BTW, yours look great!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010 - 03:50:45 PM »
Thanks guys.  Looks like I got a lot of work ahead of me.  Topcat, did your's fit this poorly when you started?

BTW, yours look great!

Gaps on mine were just about like yours were. So I welded little pieces in the same guage metal. Use a flame tip grinding tool to contour them. Similar to this:

http://www.eastwood.com/1-4-shaft-double-cut-6-burr.html

ACE hardware and hobby shops carry these.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010 - 04:14:36 PM »
I said screw that to mine and decided to go the old route of cutting the floor and welding in my own box tube 2x3 on edge.
Then the Hotchkis stuff arrived, they bolt on at the rear spring front mount bolts (If you have a torque box you will need to modify it and reverse your studs or bolts on your spring hanger.) The front section welds to the torsion bar X-member.
Hotchkis seems to be turning some good times with there Challenger using there connectors.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010 - 04:44:37 PM »
That is a pretty big gap. Here is a picture to compare with.
Dave

Offline larry4406

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010 - 04:59:43 PM »
Those gaps look horrible.  What year car, what model, floor plan type (OEM original, Goodmark, AMD), and whose brand of connector.

If there is that much work to make them fit, then probably better getting rectangular tubing and scribing them to match.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010 - 05:25:38 PM »
Here's the bolt cut off and welded on. Once you begin doing trial fitting, this is a good way to do it if the floors are facing the ground.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010 - 05:44:53 PM »
Farmboy, mine look like yours do... who made / where did you get yours?  I ordered mine from a site supporter / vendor but I don't want to say who it is until I get a chance to discuss it with them.  This could be a simple matter of the wrong year or being sent Cuda when I needed Challenger.  Don't know yet, but they are not acceptable.  If they were as close as Farmboys, I would be VERY happy.

BTW, this is a stock floor car with no mods.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010 - 05:59:33 PM »
I have heard that most of them fit pretty bad. I know several people that have ordered them and been very dissapointed with them. That being said i hope that you did get the wrong ones somehow and you get new ones that fit great, but its probably a problem with the company that makes them and not the vendor. If i ever put subframe connectors on my car i will just make carboard templates and make my own.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010 - 06:42:54 PM »
I remember Neil telling the Cuda is either 2" longer or shorter (I can't remember wich one?).  Looking at the very first photo I posted it looks like the frame connector is 2" Longer than it shouldn't be!  Maybe this part is for a CUDA?  Can anyone confirm if a Cuda is longer or short in the floor pan area?