Author Topic: Barracuda "340 Four Barrel" Hood Emblems - Are these the same as Challengers?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
I'm looking to pick up some "340 Four Barrel" emblems for my 73 Barracuda's ralley hood replacing the "Barracuda" emblems that it came with.  Does anyone know if these are exactly the same emblems as those on same year Challengers?  The E-body restoration book I have says that part numbers 3443247 is the right emblem.  I've seen both 3443247 and 3443246 listed online for Challengers,  but no mention of whether they fit Barracudas or not.  Are these two parts numbers the same?  Is there a left & a right and no one seems to realize this?  If not, what's the story with these?  Any & all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Slotts

They are different.

The Challenger will say: 340 FOUR BARREL

The Cuda will say: `cuda 340

http://www.jacksautoparts.com/catalog/emE.html

Slotts

Offline Road_Runner

They are different.

The Challenger will say: 340 FOUR BARREL

The Cuda will say: `cuda 340

http://www.jacksautoparts.com/catalog/emE.html

Slotts

According to one of my restoration books, 340 equiped Barracuda's also used the "340 Four Barrel" emblems.  I actually have a pair of the Cuda 340 emblems but I've decided to leave it a Barracuda, just not a 318 Barracuda...

Thanks, Jim

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
I know my 'Cuda and my brother in laws 'Cuda both had/have 'cuda340 emblems on the hood.
btw, mine was a 70 and his is a 71
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
According to one of my restoration books, 340 equiped Barracuda's also used the "340 Four Barrel" emblems.

Sounds like a Paul Herd gem. Toss it or use it for kindling. Plain Barracudas had plain hoods, no emblems.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
I actually have a pair of the Cuda 340 emblems

Do you want to sell them?  The apostrophes are missing off mine.
'72 'cuda

Offline Road_Runner

Do you want to sell them?  The apostrophes are missing off mine.

Thanks, but no not yet at least.  I've 'decided' to leave it a Barracuda, but nothings in stone until I do the body which won't be for a while.  My inclination is to keep it stock looking but everybody seems to hate the Pale Green paint so I keep thinking I might just say heck with it and modify away....

Later, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

Sounds like a Paul Herd gem. Toss it or use it for kindling. Plain Barracudas had plain hoods, no emblems.

Actually mine came from the factory with the Ralley hood, its on the fender tag as an option.  Mine just has "Barracuda" where the Cuda would have had "Cuda 340" in 1973.  I'm OK leaving it that way if that's how it would have come if it also would have been ordered with a 340 since I just picked up a rebuildable 340 short block for it and want the car to look 'correct' for that engine option.

Thanks, Jim

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Now I could be wrong here but I thought the reason that Barracuda's were offered with 340's was to beat the insurance system. Would be kind of odd to broadcast the high performance engine on a base car.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Road_Runner

I stand corrected (as usual...LOL). I meant to say no engine callout emblems.  :misbehaving:

You could be right about the engine call out emblems.  Besides my one book: "Original Challenger And Barracuda 1970-1974 The Restorer's Guide" by Jim Schild, I haven't found another reference for these emblems other than for Challengers.  Of course with Chrysler, oddities are the norm mixing & matching all sorts of things even within a single year.  The power steering pump on my 70 Roadrunner is like that, the one I have isn't even listed as coming on a 1970 but since it was almost new when I bought it many years ago, I'm pretty sure it came with it.  The parts books show two others as ones that were used that year, but not mine.

Later, Jim

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars

Actually mine came from the factory with the Ralley hood, its on the fender tag as an option.  Mine just has "Barracuda" where the Cuda would have had "Cuda 340" in 1973.  I'm OK leaving it that way if that's how it would have come if it also would have been ordered with a 340 since I just picked up a rebuildable 340 short block for it and want the car to look 'correct' for that engine option.

Thanks, Jim

I've owned dozens of barracudas and cudas and I've never seen one with barracuda emblems on the hood. And, I've never seen 340 four barrel emblems on a cuda either.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com