Author Topic: Resto Update/Questions  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Cuda 72

Resto Update/Questions
« on: February 28, 2010 - 01:08:37 PM »
Update: Interior is about complete, but before I install my dash, I contacted the Missouri Highway Patrol to see what my options were on the vin tag. According to them, I have to bring the car to them, I would need to give them my old vin tag and they would install a new one inside the door- there would be nothing on the dash.  ??? Has anyone heard of anything like this?  :screwy:

Next: Pulled the engine/trans and starting to rebuild. Removed all the suspension, fuel lines/brake lines and started the fun of getting the engine bay and undercarriage  ready for paint.

Questions:
1. The wheel spindles seem to have some light ridges... is this normal?
2. Should I replace the strut rods, TB's, and sway bars? I think they're all serviceable, but I value input from the pros!
3. Radiator replacement? Prior to parking this car (about 12 yrs ago), I had a problem with it overheating- I think it was inherent for 340s??? At the time, I had it flow checked, put in a new waterpump, therm, and added a new clutch fan, but still had a problem (not sure if there's a better fan shroud out there). I've considered aluminum replacements. Thoughts?
4. The steering shaft firewall inlet was somehow damaged, I've repaired it (pulled out the dented side), and was planning to reuse the original plastic seal, but not sure how critical this is.

This car will be a daily driver. Thanks for any assist!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Resto Update/Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010 - 11:00:15 PM »
For the vin tag, take a small drill bit or pin that fits into the center of the rivet and tap it down with a small hammer to hollow out the rivet.  Take a pair of pliers and squeeze tho bottom of the rivet to collapse it enough to push it out through the top. DO NOT USE ANY TWISTING MOTION or it will scratch the top of your VIN tag, making it look tampered with.  Take the tag and rivets and install on your new dash.   Glue the old rivets down from the bottom. Same tag same rivets

If you got a VIN from the Highway Patrol, it will not be the common e-body Mopar type.

As far as everything else, wire wheel or sandblast it them, then repaint.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010 - 10:28:34 AM »
What if you've already made the mistake of drilling the old rivets out?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010 - 11:20:20 AM »

www.cudajunction.com sells new ones, but they aren't cheap.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010 - 01:33:13 PM »

Rivets on ebay. If you make stuff, Dremel tool with a fine cutoff wheel and start with round rivets.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0