Author Topic: Problems with Crager SS wheels  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Kevin71

Problems with Crager SS wheels
« on: February 28, 2010 - 03:47:39 PM »
I purchased a new set of the Crager SS 61 series.  When you put the lug nuts on it takes a thin wall socket and the further you screw them on the tighter the socket gets to the edge of the wheel.  You can't get the socket seated all the way on the lug nut when it's tightened down.  It's like the lug nuts are too close to the center of the wheel.  The socket is rubbing against the spokes of the wheel and the center section.  Also the hole that the stud goes in is twice the size of the stud.  I have the crager special lug nuts and washers.  I am doing something wrong here? :pullinghair:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Problems with Crager SS wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010 - 03:49:12 PM »
I have seen that problem before where the wheels is so poorly designed there is not adequate room to get a socket on the lugs

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010 - 03:52:27 PM »
My other issue is how do know the wheel is centered on the hub when there is so much play with the stud holes.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010 - 03:55:16 PM »
I tighten the bottom ones first & rotate the wheel until I get all the lugs & washers close , never been a fan of the Cragar SS wheels

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010 - 04:05:44 PM »
I can see why now.  I have never had them before but new they were commonly used back the 70's.  Also that's how I put them on.  I rotated them to center them.  But also I had to rotate and tighten a little bit just to get the socket to fit on each lug nut.  So if the sides of the spoke and the center was off just a little bit then the it will sit uneven on the hub.  I've got the left front bouncing a little at 60 mph.  I am going to call Crager Monday and see what they have to say.  Can't return them at this point as the paper work from JEG's said you own them as soon as you mount them.  Would never have kept them if I knew what I know now.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010 - 04:58:23 PM »
Do these Cragars need a little plastic ring to fit in the center hole of the rim to make them hub-centric with the hub?  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010 - 07:39:57 PM »
I have no idea.  I was just told by Jegs when I ordered them that I need a special Crager Lug nuts that come with these sort off set washers

Offline duodec

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010 - 08:32:52 PM »
I always loved the look of the S/S wheels but refused to use the type that used a washer between the nut and the wheel. Weren't some of them also uni-lugs with oval lug slots that used oversize washers to adapt the wheel to the actual lug pattern?

I still prefer the Appliance Steel Spokes; they look very close to the S/S wheels but are all steel with conical lug nut seats.  Kind of hard to find any more though...

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010 - 08:42:24 PM »
I have the torque thrust IIs and the metal cap interferes with my socket.
I've removed the wheels at least 10 times in the past few weeks since I got them, and the caps now have 5 grooves worn in them from my socket. You have to hold the socket loosely at an angle to drive the lugs in.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline acudanut

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010 - 09:06:30 PM »
 You have to have THE special Cragar lug nuts. Also use a deep socket.  With the proper lug nuts and washers, I have never had any problems.  Just remeber to re-torque the lug nuts every thousand miles.  I love the looks and have had no problems.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010 - 09:09:08 PM »
I don't think this sounds right at all. "You have to hold the socket loosely at an angle to drive the lugs in".  :screwy:

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010 - 09:27:26 PM »
I have the crager special lug nuts and washers.

You have to have THE special Cragar lug nuts.

Am I missing something here?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010 - 09:31:05 PM »
I have no idea.  I was just told by Jegs when I ordered them that I need a special Crager Lug nuts that come with these sort off set washers

Maybe you did not read this ? :clueless:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010 - 10:36:35 AM »
I've had cragers for years and don't need a special socket and have never had any issues with them.  Granted they are a pain in the ass sometimes taking off and putting on but nothing to crazy. 

Offline acudanut

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010 - 10:48:59 AM »
 Hey, that makes two of us  :cheers: