Author Topic: Installing VIN Plate on New Dash...... Has Missouri gone craZ or is it just me?  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Cuda 72

So before I install my dash, I contacted the Missouri Highway Patrol to see what my options were on the vin tag. According to them, I have to bring the car to them, I would need to give them my old vin tag and they would install a new one inside the door- there would be nothing on the dash.   Has anyone heard of anything like this? 

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

I have heard of them putting the tag on the door if they reissue a vin, like if the one on the dash was missing. But i have never heard of them doing anything like that. We just glued my vin onto my new pad.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
I managed to score a set of original rivets to put my tag back on. If you find a set just be sure they are for the e body dash. The rivets used on b body cars are not as long and won't go all the way through the pad.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline Cuda 72

I didn't realize the rivets varied in size. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline acudanut

It does not sound bad. Better safe than sorry.  Trailer or drive the car to them and be done with it.

Offline acudanut

With longer rivets (factory) you can small nuts to take out the slack underneath.

Offline Supercuda

This is Missouri's take on the Federal rule against tampering with a VIN plate. As soon as you remove it from its original installation, it is TAMPERED WITH. Easy, but only logical, not sensible or reasonable. I wouldn't even get them involved, as long as: A. I know I am working with MY VIN, on MY car. B. I am not doing anything in an effort to lie about my car's equipment or provenence. C. I am REPAIRING a problem, not switching things around for giggles, or just because I can. Sometimes, you have to leave the officials out of the loop, because they don't know what they are doing; this sounds like one of those times.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
I replied in your resto thread on how I handle this.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66557.0
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP

This is Missouri's take on the Federal rule against tampering with a VIN plate. As soon as you remove it from its original installation, it is TAMPERED WITH. Easy, but only logical, not sensible or reasonable. I wouldn't even get them involved, as long as: A. I know I am working with MY VIN, on MY car. B. I am not doing anything in an effort to lie about my car's equipment or provenence. C. I am REPAIRING a problem, not switching things around for giggles, or just because I can. Sometimes, you have to leave the officials out of the loop, because they don't know what they are doing; this sounds like one of those times.
:iagree:

'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
 :iagree: Me too. Yes, it is violating the law, but there are plenty of silly laws that we ignore everyday.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Supercuda

Just to appease the legal types out there, the way to term it is this way: "I may have violated the LETTER of the law, but not the SPIRIT of it."

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Don't give them squat!

Better to leave alone a cracked dash than to have a replacement VIN.  Resale value/authenticity will plummet regardless of the reason.

Just drill out the back side of the rivets, replace VIN on new dash pad, and re-glue the rivets back in.

EZ.  maybe not 100% legal, but how about the State going after murderers, rapists, and robbers instead of stupid crap like replacing a car part!?!?
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
If it makes you feel any better here are a few more "Missouri" laws...

Minors are not allowed to purchase cap pistols, however they may buy shotguns freely.

It is illegal for more than four unrelated persons to occupy the same dwelling (The Brothel Law).

Frightening a baby is in violation of the law.

It shall be unlawful to provide beer or other intoxicants to elephants.

In Purdy, Dancing is strictly prohibited.

In St. Louis it's illegal for a milk man to run while on duty.

:crazy:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Just drill out the back side of the rivets, replace VIN on new dash pad, and re-glue the rivets back in.

Ragtop, You don't drill out the rivets from the back.  They will spin and scratch up the topside. Read how I said to do it in the link above.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
Put your old vin plate on the new dash no harm no foul, no one's business. You don't need the hassle of anybody knowing. that you replaced the dash:2cents: