HOCKEY GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Author Topic: HOCKEY GOLD!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2499 times)

Offline KZ

Re: HOCKEY GOLD!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010 - 04:06:54 PM »
I love watching hockey, both games between Team USA and Team Canada were frickin' awesome... but to me, the men's ice hockey is just 13 days of Stanley Cup finals, highly paid NHL professionals playing each other. I'd like the Olympic committee get together and say no professional or semi-professional players in the future, I'm sure they can com eup with something...e.g. college students

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010 - 04:50:57 PM »
I love watching hockey, both games between Team USA and Team Canada were frickin' awesome... but to me, the men's ice hockey is just 13 days of Stanley Cup finals, highly paid NHL professionals playing each other. I'd like the Olympic committee get together and say no professional or semi-professional players in the future, I'm sure they can com eup with something...e.g. college students

That will, unfortunately, never happen.  There is too much money involved and too many countries are way too pressed to win at almost any cost.

Canada had dumped $110 million into the "Own the Podium" program.  It resulted in Canada winning the most gold medals, and more medals than any other host country ever in the winter Olympics.  Canadian engineers, scientists and athletes worked for years developing all sorts of supposedly winning technology, which in some cases worked.  Is this "amateur" sports in any way?  Not at all!

This creation of pseudo-amateur athletes started with the Russians and East Germans and has spread to most other countries. The Olympics are essentially a rich-man's sport that no longer embodies the true Olympic spirit.

There is no way to prevent that activity, the pressure to win is too great.  True amateurs will never mount  the podium in any significant numbers.  Nor will the smaller or poorer countries, they don't have a chance. 
Fair? - no! 
Reality? - yes!

< ° ) ) >< 

Offline RB2929

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010 - 06:55:32 PM »
I like the way the Candaian women hockey team celebrate better  :bigsmile:

Offline acudanut

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010 - 07:32:37 PM »
 I don't know....Kissing a woman who just smoked a cigar  :eek4:

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010 - 07:38:27 PM »
I don't know....Kissing a woman who just smoked a cigar  :eek4:
Don't worry, the Molson Canadian kills the smell of the cuban!!

I like the way the Candaian women hockey team celebrate better  :bigsmile:
Yup, Canadian Chicks with Sticks can partay, eh?

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010 - 07:42:18 PM »
The earlier Olympic hockey was well groomed European hockey teams that played together for years. North American teams couldn't compete as thier best was in the NHL. Then many great European players came to the NHL as well.

The problem was the 'amatuer status teams were professional, they just weren't in the NHL.

I don't know the answer, but I feel sorry for the other winter games competitors who sacrifice everything to win gold and millionaire hockey palyers get two weeks off to win  gold-doesn't sem fair.
I am glad Canada won and Crosby got the golden goal which put us at a record 14 gold medals

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010 - 10:32:51 PM »
OK I have to say this, why were the US athletes so Pissedoff winning anything less Gold? It's almost as if their was a payday attached to the gold. My opinion, if you place in the top 10 at olympic events you have done extremely well!!
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010 - 10:44:17 PM »
You have to win for the bronze, win for the gold, but lose for the silver. I think any team coming as close to gold as the USA hockey team would look/feel disappointed at not coming out on top. :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.