Author Topic: What a CRAZY day!!  (Read 988 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
What a CRAZY day!!
« on: March 01, 2010 - 09:26:07 PM »
Man what a nutty day!!

I have a '94 Ford Exploder that finally gave up the ghost (transmission went) and it's just not worth the money to invest in a tranny rebuild. So Saturday I venture over to Atlantic Auto Auction. This is a HUGE volume auction house that moves about 500 or so cars EVERY Saturday. It's where the dealers buy. Why pay retail. You gotta go several days before to really check the cars out, because most are sold without warranty. I ended up getting a great buy on a 2000 Land Rover Discovery. The thing is immaculate, has all the options, runs great and low miles. I nabbed it for $3000. Now the fun part. A lot of these vehicles sit for a while and as such have dead batteries. mine included. I went to pick it up today, they jumped it, I gave them my paperwork and off I went. I got about 3 miles down the road and at a major intersection it cut off. Dead as a dead can be. Not even enough juice on the battery to light up the interior light. So here I am on the phone with AAA trying to explain where I am and why it won't start. Cars are laying in on the horns behind me, I got a killer sinus headache and am now a nervous wreck! The lady from AAA tells me to cut on the flashers and I tell her I don't even know where the button is (too many buttons and knobs and shiny objects!). Then she tells me to open the hood, but I can't find the !*#x*!! hood release!! I get out and have to wave cars around me to the right or left. Now two guy walk up to help push it to the side into the 7-11 parking lot. Well guess what. You can't shift it out of park without battery power!! That's news to me. These guys are trying to push and yelling at me to put it in neutral. I yell back it won't shift. They tell me to put my foot on the brake first....I'm gettin more steamed (not at them) as they are rocking the thing and it ain't moving. Then AAA calls back and tells me the tow truck will be there in about 25 minutes. I keep telling the lady I'm blocking the middle of a major intersection. So I get out, walk to the back and direct traffic for the next 25 minutes. That was exciting, especially the tractor trailer that forced a volvo into a parking lot as he moved out of the lane directly behind me right into the path of the volvo! Now would you believe a car rolls up, and a woman asks me if the vehicle is for sale as it still has grease pencil writing all over the glass from the auction and a DMV transport decal on the back. I said, "Sure lady, would you like to test drive it now?" What a yo-yo!! Finally the tow driver arrives. He was well familiar with the shifter interlock, throws a jumper cable on the battery and I shift it into neutral and he pulls it up on the roll-back. New battery is installed!! what a day!! whew. Thought I was gonna get run over!! :22yikes:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
Re: What a CRAZY day!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010 - 09:43:38 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Land Rover. You had better get used to it!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010 - 09:45:40 PM »
I always check out the auctions for vehicles
 sounds like too many days I have had

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010 - 12:54:37 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Land Rover. You had better get used to it!!!

I don't want to burst your bubble but those land rover discoveries have a bad reputation, I would chase up that lady and see if she still wants it.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010 - 12:14:09 PM »
I understand the older ones have had some issues. This one runs great and is immaculate. Whoever owned it took very good care of it. A lot of car issues relates to the way it has been taken care of. My co-worker has a son that has been thru at least 5 cars in the last two years. He dives the crap out of them and does no upkeep/maintenance, ignores warnings and they blow up!! Go figure! :smilielol: :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010 - 03:35:59 PM »
 :22yikes: Same thing happened to me goint to work one day in my cougar,stalls at an intersection stone dead,no key buzzer, nothing,soab i'm going open the hood and try to move the shift cable and linkage by hand all along burning my arms and what not.people honking and going by.i was a block from home and thought i'll go home and push it in gear across the intersection.wait a second that has a dead battery also.  :pullinghair: guy pulls over and while i'm in the car starts messing with wires and whatnot and it fires up.  :bananasmi
bad ground......  :pullinghair: OF TO WORK I GO./   :eek7:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010 - 05:27:12 PM »
Wow, that's nuts. Glad you got to work OK. I think crap comes in three's. I have been sick all week and went to the doc today. I was driving home on the interstate in my '94 Ford Exploder (that's the problem there) and it just died right on the interstate. Not a nice place to break down. It was the fuel pump. Had to have it towed. This is the 2nd tow this week. Maybe I need to buy a tow truck!! :roflsmiley: :blah: :roflsmiley:My luck it would break down too!! :eek4:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010 - 06:18:54 PM »
Darn Matt, has a black cat crossed your path or what?   :lol:  Maybe a bicycle in your future?   :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010 - 09:44:25 PM »
Yeah,
I was thinking about a bike!! :roflsmiley:Funny thing is I am preparing to sell it, so the last thing I want to do is drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump. But it won't be my first rodeo. Did it 3 times on my Chebby S-10 and once on my Ferd Taurus. I am just a glutton for punishment!! :faint: The auto auction Saturday had a 2006 Dodge Viper truck (V-10) with a Hurst 4-speed, jet black and about 45,000 original miles. Pristene condition; it sold at auction for $21,000. Wish I has a little more change. I would have LOVED to have that truck. I only commute 10 miles round trip to work. I cried!! :crying:

Matt B.

Matt

Offline priderocks

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010 - 10:34:13 PM »
My friend just lost the tranny, driveshaft, transfer case out of his 96 4wd Explorer. I told him that's why they call them Exploders.

Your Land Rover reminds me of a bumper sticker I heard was on a Jag.

"The parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality"

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010 - 04:20:55 AM »
My friend just lost the tranny, driveshaft, transfer case out of his 96 4wd Explorer. I told him that's why they call them Exploders.

Your Land Rover reminds me of a bumper sticker I heard was on a Jag.

"The parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality"
In my earlier post I was refering to the later ones, early ones only had mainly body issues the later ones changed to mechanical problems. I also read an article from England and they voted it the worst 4WD.   :scared:
Dave

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010 - 05:03:38 AM »
Oh well, hope I have better luck. What the heck, I heard the same thing about Mopars growing up (as far as quality control) and to some degree, it was true.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010 - 07:33:22 AM »
 :eek4: I'm not reading any more of this thread, sounds like a rash spreading around and I don't want any thank you.  :walkaway:  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger