Author Topic: Thought I'd bop here and say "Hey" again...  (Read 456 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Thought I'd bop here and say "Hey" again...
« on: March 09, 2010 - 09:08:26 AM »
Hey folks,

I'm trying to get active on this board again.  With the job and commute and crap it's been kinda hard to find motivation to do much of anything lately.  (3 feet of snow on the ground doesn't help - does it, Neil?)  :)

But I really wanted to let everyone know that the good ol' Viper is FINALLY better off now than it was the day I bought it!

I managed some time over the winter - and finishing up last weekend - to address another check-engine light issue.  After sinking $400 into the problem last summer (which is honestly petty cash as us Mopar owners know!) I was afraid the problem had returned.  The problem had been slow 02 sensor heating due to relocation with the aftermarket headers.  The headers had also melted a plug wire.  New plugs, wires and special O2's later, the light went out... ...for about 3 months.  I ignored it because I was tired of messing with it.

So after pulling some codes, I learned it was a new problem - fuel system leak detection pump.  Luckily, the $180 pump I expected to replace ended up being an $8 vacuum hose that fell victim to those vicious headers again.  (I tried yelling at them to stop burnin' my sh!t but they refused to listen...)  Check engine light fixed.

Lastly I had to address the fact that since day one, the parking brake barely held.  Even Neil noticed at Carlisle last year that the handle nearly touched the ceiling before holding, and even then the car would still roll on any decent incline.  Fault here belongs to the aftermarket "SnakeOyl" parking brake calipers, made necessary by the Baer Alcon 6-pot aftermarket brake calipers out back.  After some calls to SnakeOyl and even "The Viper Wizard" Chuck Tator out in New York, I figured out how to adjust them and made them... ...better.  Still not great, but better.  Should pass MD inspection.

So, with expired tags, I took it out for a short shake-down last weekend, and she performed flawlessly.  I'm sure warm weather will bring back some of the squeaks out back, but with my own garage now (and a nice new floor jack) it should be much easier to work on the thing.

I hope this note finds everyone well.  Did you guys ever do another Calendar?  Another e-body is still on my shopping list, but the wife and I seriously need to replace our daily drivers and SOON.  I want the new Camaro (yeah yeah yeah - save it!) but SHE really wants a new PCP Challenger!  Unfortunately she really wants a convertible, and Mr. Norms is a little too steep for us...

Anyhoo, that's all for me.  I'll be at Carlisle this year (as always!) and I sure as all he!! won't be hanging out at the "Smugs-R-Us" Viper tent!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Thought I'd bop here and say "Hey" again...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010 - 09:29:42 AM »
Hey Viperboy!  Glad to see you checking in!   Sounds like you ahev some of the bugs worked out . . good job!   I'm still fighting with the back car but I believe I will win this year!  Good to hear all is good!   :grinyes:   :thumbsup:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010 - 11:38:11 AM »
Jeff,

Good to hear from you bro.  Keep us updated.  Glad your Viper is up to par now.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010 - 11:42:25 AM »
Jeff,
Good to hear from you.  Take care and keep us informed.   :2thumbs:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon