Author Topic: Help with Transmission Identification  (Read 1976 times)

Offline glitch340

Help with Transmission Identification
« on: March 10, 2010 - 08:49:52 PM »
I picked up a transmission for my cuda and need to know more information about it in order to pick up a rebuild kit.
Also, wheres the best place to get a full rebuild kit (synchro rings included)
Here's the stamp # from the right side: PP8332408
It's an aluminum case, and I didn't see another casting number on the right side. There were a few other numbers on the top. Let me know if I need to get those to anyone if they'd help.
I'm thinking this is an OD transmission from a later vehicle. Can anybody help out with this?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Help with Transmission Identification
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010 - 01:10:45 AM »
I can get you a brg/syncro kit or get you the # for my source , the kit is the same for all of the later OD trannys
to check if it is an OD shift it into 3rd & see if the tailshaft turns faster then the input shaft , if the factory levers are still on the tranny the front lever will be pointed down not up like the rest
 I have seen ODs with a cast case but not a regular 4 spd in an alum case unless it was an ultra rare 64 race tranny so I would bet it is an OD , the front brgs reatiner will also be 5.2" in diameter on the OD

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline glitch340

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010 - 08:17:51 AM »
So if the front bearing retainer is the larger diameter, it won't bolt up to my bellhousing that my 1970 cast iron 833 bolts up to, right? I picked it up with plans to swap transmissions, can I switch front bearing retainers or anything in order to use this new overdrive transmission, or will I need to find a new bellhousing or something?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010 - 09:13:26 AM »
the front brg retainer can be cut down to 4.80" to fit some belhousings , Brewers sells new belhousings for $300

Offline glitch340

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010 - 09:35:58 AM »
Okay... One last (perhaps stupid) question...
So the Input bearing is too large to trim down the input bearing retainer to 4.35 OD because the overdrives came with larger bearings since they spend a majority of their life under overdrive torque rather than 1:1 locked output. Also, it would be messy to neck my IBR down to 4.8 and bore the hole in my bellhousing to 4.8 since I have a small block (don't like mismatching a whole lot of stuff).
So as for my Question: Can I swap the internals from the overdrive into the A-833 I'm pulling from the car? The reason I ask is I'm pretty sure the transmission in the car is beyond a rebuild. It may need new gears and that'll get expensive quick. So could the overdrive parts be put into the stronger cast iron housing making a fairly strong transmission (no aluminum housing)? While giving me some highway cruisability, though sacrificing some low end acceleration. Mostly with the 1-2 shift.

Thanks again Chryco Psycho, you've been a big help.

Offline glitch340

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010 - 06:43:36 PM »
Sounds like the transmission is the OD trans. I'm planning on pulling the internals from this unit and putting them into my cast iron housing from the transmission in the car. The gears are most likely in better shape and I will be doing a rebuild. Also, that way I'll have the overdrive without worrying about machining the bellhousing and IBR.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010 - 07:43:40 PM »
I have installed the OD guts into an iron small brg case but it had shifting issues after we did that so I am not sure if the case had everything positioned the same as the alum case , you may be better off just selling your bell & buying a new one

Offline glitch340

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010 - 10:37:29 PM »
I've been talking to Jamie Passon, and he seems to think everything will work fine, but I'll look into that. Not too many people are looking for mopar parts around these parts, but maybe I can check the classifieds here or something

Offline glitch340

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010 - 12:14:56 AM »
After looking around I managed to find some 5.125" opening bellhousings for sale for 340s. Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for. I'm supposed to avoid the hydraulic clutch ones, but is there anything else? I think this would be a good route to go as long as the bellhousing will fit. That way I don't have to do any machining and I'll have a bellhousing for the 4 speed I'll be pulling out.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010 - 12:38:50 PM »
makes sense to me , just make sure the pivot & fork are with it

Offline glitch340

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010 - 01:33:54 PM »
so am I going to need different clutch pivot/fork for this bellhousing? I thought I could use the ones out of the 4.300" hole bellhousing. Also, I've got a new clutch I'll be putting in with this, but I don't think it had a new fork or anything.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010 - 01:03:57 AM »
because of the larger hole in the bel the pivot for the fork is movd outward , most OD use a ball pivot instead of the flat plate pivot as well , so you do need the right pivot & fork to use the OD bel