Spring Relocators Revisited!

Author Topic: Spring Relocators Revisited!  (Read 6370 times)

Offline 2000gt

Spring Relocators Revisited!
« on: September 25, 2004 - 10:05:06 PM »
Hey guys, earlier ( a few weeks ago) I asked about putting in spring relocators in my Cuda, here is what I did.  I got a B-body rearend with the spring seats 44 inches apart and bought a bolt in relo kit from Mopar.  I bought 17 x 8 torque thrust 2's for the front and just ordered 17 x 9.5's for the rear.  My questions,/ problems are as follows:
- should the 17 x 9.5s fit?  I put the 8's on the back just to see and there was two inches betweeen the outermost part of the rim (no tire) and the closest spot on the spring.  Common sense would say the 9.5s should fit with  0.5 to spare.  Anyone done this?  How much room is needed between the wheel/tire and spring, is half and inch enough?

- the rear offset shackles hit the top of the cars body as they swivel back with the weight of the car on the axle.  Are they supposed to do this.  I also test fitted the rear valence and they are also very close to hitting it as well, but not quite.  Is this just the way it is or did I do something wrong?  What would cause this?  Which leads me to my next question...

- how can I tell if I have superstock springs?  The guy I bought the car off said they were and I just took his word for it.  Could they be too long which is what is making the rear shackles swing up into the car?

- and last but not least, when I sat the axle on the springs they did not drop right in on the little alignment pin and I had to pry the spring in (towards the middle of the car)to get it to fit.  I only had to move it about 3/8 to 1/2 inch until it sat down but was wonderieng if this would matter, I suspect not???

Thanks a lot for you help guys, Tyler

Offline 2000gt

Re: Spring Relocators Revisited!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004 - 10:59:19 PM »
OK, the more I look at it the more I wonder if my springs are superstock or not???  The springs are about 60 inches long ( measured from end to end) and were on the car without a relo kit when I got it.  The front hangers on the relo kit are longer, ie they move the spring's forward mounting point further back so you can run the shorter spring.  So if they are superstocks would they have even been able to fit without the longer front hanger, ie the way I bought the car???  Man I'm confused right now!  Someone HELP!!!

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004 - 12:56:06 AM »
here are a few pics so you can see what I mean

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004 - 12:57:19 AM »
a few more

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004 - 01:16:17 AM »
All super stock springs have a 20 inch front segment.( the distance between the front eye to the
center bolt)   E-body springs are 22 inches, that's why the superstock spring front hangers
are 2 inches longer for E bodies.

The back segment is 35 inches for both Super stock and E-body springs

HOWEVER

They  did make a Super Stock spring for the B-body that was 36 inches to the back so start out
by measureing the front segment and the back segment first

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 - 01:27:15 AM »
Thanks 360, if the front eye is basically where the front bolt goes through (right?) then yeah what I have on there are the E-body springs, 22 inches to the center bolt,  not the superstocks.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004 - 01:35:57 AM »
Ok  so what does the front spring hanger look like.

Is it the short stock one or is it the 2 inch longer one?

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004 - 01:48:28 AM »
Like this, it is the relo kit front hanger, I ordered it because the guy I bought the car off said they were superstocks.  The ones that came on the car were the short, stock ones (the one I'm holding in the pic).  So obviously, if they came with the stock type hangers they are not superstocks.  So as far as I can tell I either have to get a superstock (or normal A-body) spring to use with the B-body rear and relo kit, OR scrap the relo kit and go with my original e-body rear, original hangers and shackles and the e-body springs I have.  I know the 17x9.5's will fit with the stock setup, I just wanted more room in case I took it to the track and put on slicks. Sound right 360?, thanks for the help.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004 - 02:02:50 AM »
You are correct sir ;)

Go with the Super stock spings or HD A-body springs though
That spring relo kit is awesome for tucking those killer wheels under there and it ends up looking
so clean that way :)

As far as the bit of prying you had to do that's normal.
the relo kit moves the springs in 3/4 of an inch and the B-body rear spring seats are moved in 1 inch
That little 1/4 difference doesn't matter for ride or handling but it helps to get the springs away
from the tires alittle

This car has the kit but it doesn't need to sit that high to clear the tires
I have thought about putting on some old A body springs on it just to see what it looks like
I like the Meaty look of the tires under there

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004 - 02:07:46 AM »
One last thing

Don't try driving with the shackles out that far
It will destroy the rear valance and probably kink that rear structure member at least :P

I know 'cause I have seen it
Have you ever been to a swap meet and see a 'CUDA valance for sale for 20 bucks 'Cause
that lower area is cut out?

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004 - 02:17:59 AM »
No, i don't think I'll be driving it any time soon!  While I have your attention, I wanted to run spring choices past you.  I will likely order new springs from Mopar as that seems to be the easiest up here in Canada.  I haven't searched too much on this yet because I assumed I had ss springs.  If I go with superstocks which ones should I get? (ie weight)  I like the 'tucked' look, not too much of a rake and will be running the 17's.  Or should I just get The A-body ones listed  in the mopar catalogue (P4510268 and P4510269 NEW XHD A-Body  These would be the right ones  correct?).   How much performance difference would there be and how much ride height difference between the A-body ones and the superstocks?  I may race the car occasionally but not often and may get a set of slicks for it too.  Thanks again 360.

These look good???
MANCINI - (A-Body) Extra Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Set

Mancini Racing now offers replacement XHD springs for your Dodge or Plymouth A-Body. Bolt in a set today, designed for high performance A-Body cars. These springs have 1" added to stock arch to give more room for larger tires and better traction. Springs have front bushings installed. Springs are sold as sets only.

MRE1981-1982$174.95
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004 - 02:26:36 AM by 2000gt »

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004 - 02:18:33 AM »
I forgot, what do you think brand new e-body springs are worth, I'll have a set I'll need to sell in order to afford the new ones!  By the way, your cars looks  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004 - 02:23:00 AM by 2000gt »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004 - 12:03:41 PM »
Mancini has the E-body springs for $200.

so it's hard to say what what you might get for them

My bracket car has the HD E-springs on them and I have had good luck with traction on slicks
1:60 sixty foot times with about 3 inches of air under the passenger front tire 8)
I did clamp the front of the springs hard to improve front spring deflection

If you get the HD A-body springs that should make a good drag racing suspension and if you add
clamps to the front you can really stiffen them up where you need them
If the ride gets too stiff on the road you can take the clamps off for a smooth ride

I made spring clamps out of caster backing plates I had lying around. They were the perfect size ;)

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004 - 12:39:12 PM »
What would my stance be like with the Abody XHD springs???  It wouldn't be lopsided like with superstocks would it?  What about ride height?  I guess I could use the upper hole in the front mount ot lower it a little more?

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004 - 02:15:47 PM »
My guess is it wouldn't be much different then mine

Mine have been on that white car for over 10 years and have sagged little in that time