Author Topic: AAR & T/A Mufflers  (Read 1665 times)

Offline cwestra

AAR & T/A Mufflers
« on: March 12, 2010 - 01:57:00 PM »
Any AAR or T/A owners out there with advice on the best source for mufflers?  I am looking for something with a good sound, reasonable flow, at a decent (low) price.  The AAR I am using them on is basically stock with a street cam.  Factory exaust manifolds and 2.25" pipes to the muffler. 

I have looked, a bit, at companies like Accurate Exhaust Products that state their mufflers are high flow compared to factory reproduction (like I assume most of the rest of them out there are).  I am wondering, with the build I have, would I even benefit from these higher priced mufflers (sound and performance) or can I get by with factory style configuration.  I know you can also bump up to the ones with the pentastar stamped in them, but I'm having a hard time justifying the huge upcharge just for that.

Looking for any testimonials out there both good and bad, with regard to these features (sound, performance, price).  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010 - 01:59:45 PM by cwestra »
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: AAR & T/A Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010 - 02:17:37 PM »
Unfortunately you are a bit limited on mufflers with the inlet and outlet on the same side like the factory mufflers. I believe that Magnaflow and Flowmaster now offer some, but as far as the sound and performance goes I don't know, other than my experience with their "normal" mufflers. Now there is another option that is less correct that I have seen done, and that is to get normal mufflers that send the exhaust out the back and then put basically a 180 bend in the exhaust to bring it back up to the side, and I have seen with small mufflers moved closer to the front of the car so that the exhaust can make a 90 and exit out the side. But of course neither of these choices result in a stock look if you crawl under the car.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe