Author Topic: opera windows  (Read 9015 times)

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Re: opera windows
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011 - 11:56:49 AM »
Now that is a strange look. Not the windows but the top..... Curved toward the front.......guess less wind resistance...............wonder where the chrome came from.    :clueless:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011 - 10:14:19 PM by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER »
Dave or David

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011 - 12:26:44 PM »
Was that vinyl top only used with opera windows?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Rapier34

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011 - 02:18:33 PM »
Not that is a strange look. Not the windows but the top..... Curved toward the front.......guess less wind resistance...............wonder where the chrome came from.    :clueless:

I have no idea, the main reason I bought the car was because the windows and half vinyl roof were unique. I hadn't seen one like that before, nor have I since. All of the chrome up top and around the opera windows looked factory installed (meaning it didn't look like a homemade modification). One of my biggest regrets was letting that car go, but I had 2 other cars and didn't have the time or money to do anything with it, and I certainly would have held on to it had I known the buyer's plan for it before I sold it   :(

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011 - 03:57:16 PM »
Well, I've been going through some old pictures, and I found a couple more of my old Challenger that show the windows better. Here they are, enjoy.

Not only did they put in opera windows, that vinyl roof is custom too.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011 - 06:25:40 PM »
These "Opera" windows belong on the cars that they were intended for...Lincolns, Cadillacs, etc...It really is no different yesterday as it is today with some peoples taste in custom touches. Some just have no taste and think nothing of ruining (IMO) a great looking car by installing half vinyl tops, opera windows, HUGE wheels, fart cannons, etc...

Sometimes, you have to tell yourself when you see one of these "To each his own, but there is a reason that hasn't been done before and of course IS different"..
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline pilotusmc

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011 - 09:04:41 PM »
I  remember  way  back in the  early  1970s  seeing  challengers  with  oval  opera  windows in the  sail  panels....I  always  wondered  why I have  not  seen  may of  those...