Author Topic: OIL PUMP PICS....What went wrong?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Glennster

OIL PUMP PICS....What went wrong?
« on: March 13, 2010 - 12:04:43 PM »
There are some major scratches the I'd like opinions on.........

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: OIL PUMP PICS....What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010 - 02:00:07 PM »
Something metal went through that pump.  If it's a fresh engine, probably machining debris or shavings.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010 - 02:03:22 PM »
Those are some odd marks. but as I said in the other threads you had a bunch of crap go thru the engine. I dont think it originated from the pump in particular, but it makes sense that the pump would have damage as a result of it.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010 - 02:07:02 PM »
Is this a problem that came up after you switched to the 90 degree adapter?  I now that's when you lost pressure, but how long was it run before you changed the adapter?  I wonder if there could have been some slag or something from the adapter?  Did you find any kind of chunks in the oil pan?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010 - 04:57:55 PM »
Oh man, did you hurt your new engine? If so that sucks. I agree its most likely mahining debris or something else small enough to go through the oiling system.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010 - 05:41:04 PM »
While it looks kinda crappy, this is not the cause of your problem, just a result of it.  The oil pump is before the filter and the only protection it gets is the screen in the pickup.  This pump would still provide plenty of pressure.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010 - 05:48:03 PM »
I agree with Gary.  It kinda looks like slivers to me. Is the dist drive looking ok, or maybe wire brush wires from cleaning out lifter bores, or a few pulled threads from some bolt, or pieces from a bottom end tap. The engine looks like it was built tight to me.  Cam bearing slivers .   How are the mains?  Rods knock but still has some pressure, main bearings will take away pressure quicker.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010 - 05:57:02 PM »
Since a new pump is only like $25, I wouldn't chance it.  I'd put a new pump in along with checking/cleaning the pan to prevent another issue.  Be sure to clean the pickup tube too.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010 - 10:01:07 AM »
First, THANK YOU to all who have tried to figure out my mess.
 Here's how this mess played out. When we first started the motor, oil pressure was 70 at idle and would bounce to 100 as you pumped the throttle. It didn't take too many revs to get it to 100. The engine builder said this was OK, a few on this board agreed, most said it was too high.
 We had oil leaks around the filter adapter, I could not tell if it was the adapter or the filter that was leaking. I pulled the adapter, put on a new filter and gaskets and still had leaks. That was a standard Fram filter.
 Still, it was hard to see where it was leaking. So I put on a Wix filter. Still leaking. Then I put on a K&N filter. Once I put that on, I saw lower oil pressure, like 50 at idle and 70 when you'd rev it. But, still leaking.
 Keep in mind I drained the oil twice during this time period, so I'm now on my third oil change.
 Then I installed the 90* adapter and put the same K&N filter back on. No leaks, and oil pressure at 50 on idle and 60-70 as you rev it.
 10 to 15 miles later I notice oil pressure at 10 on idle and I had run the engine hard a few time during that period. Never more than 5000 rpm's, but I certainly didn't torture it.
  I know this won't tell us what killed it, but I thought some of you my be curious.
I don't want to throw the builder under the bus yet, I'm going to put the engine in the hands of a proven builder and let him tell me what went wrong. Given the feedback I've got from my builder, I'm loosing confidence in his abilities. You'll notice I have not mentioned his name. I think I should be slow to put a bullet in this guy.
  I want to know this thing is air tight and right when I put it back in the car. If any of you know good builders in the South Bend Indiana area, I'd like to here about them. At this point I think I'm going to Kaley Motors and South Bend, I'm not sure yet.
Thanks for the help and the well wishes!!!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010 - 10:28:29 AM »
Oh man that sucks. There is nothing worse than putting your blood, sweat and money into an engine and have it fail so soon after takeoff. Did it lock up or did you pull it off the road before something really bad happened. I wish you the best and hope its an easy fix.
*Brett*

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010 - 11:52:16 AM »
I feel your pain, in a different way though.  I had my engine rebuilt by a builder whom is widely recognized at the local dragstrip.  I was at a tranny shop and they had a wall full of cars that the engine builder had his motors in.  So I figured he would be a safe bet.....yeah right!  When I got it back, it was missing a pushrod.  How can you say an engine is ready and it be missing a pushrod????  At least he told me about it :roflsmiley:.  Tried to tell me he was going to bring it over and install it when I was ready to break it in.  I was worried about what else could be wrong, so I took it to a builder that I know to be pretty good and he tore it down and found quite a few things wrong with it that could have been catastrophic.  I hope you get everything sorted out and there is nothing else wrong with it.
Jason

Offline Glennster

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010 - 12:20:50 PM »
 It did not lock up. I've only pulled one rod cap. It did not spin the rod bearing, but it is toast. I'm hoping the crank can be ground/saved. Maybe the rods can be reconditioned too, if not, vinb has offered me a good deal on a new set of 273 rods.
  Yup, I've been waiting 35 years to have a car like this. I was SOOOO close, but no cigar. I'll get there, it's just going to be a bit painful. I'm sure you guys can relate , even though my project was much smaller than many I've seen here, you become emotionally attached to these things. I had a plan, the timing was right, as the weather turned, I'd be smiling as I smoked the tires on the way to the local shows. Oh well, onward and upward. It's way too soon to quit, besides, I hate quitters!

Offline quagmire

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010 - 12:26:52 PM »
How do the bearings and journals look?  Were they just damaged from the low pressure or do they have markings that indicate debris passed through them?  If they do, the oil passages were likely not cleaned well.  Whatever went through the pump should be caught by the filter, so any crud pumping through the system after it would have to be there already.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010 - 01:58:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about that.  Keep the positive attitude.  It will be back on the road before you know it.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010 - 04:36:08 PM »
Yeah Corey is right, keep your head up. I can still remember barely being able to get the top end together for my 400. Heads milled and new valves, head work, new engle cam, timing chain, new pushrods, new roller rockers. I got it together and due to my own stupidity in not using loctite the cam bolt backed out about  15 miles into my new mills life. I was sick and had to pull it all back apart. Thankfully although a few pistons were dinged, nothing was broken except most of the valves. I bought a new set of valves and bit the bullet and bought a 3 bolt timing gear set and another 3 bolt Engle cam. I put it all back together in time to drive it to the paint shop where I pulled the engine and interior. That was 3 years ago and I have not driven it since. Now I am not looking for sympathy, just letting you know that you are not alone. Although the problem was not caused by you and you might be looking at spending more money than I did to get it back together, always remember that a lot of us have been where you are and you are among kindred spirits. It will be nothing more than a costly bad memory soon.   :2thumbs:
*Brett*