Author Topic: Seat is Crooked  (Read 1062 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Seat is Crooked
« on: March 14, 2010 - 10:33:00 PM »
So my passenger seat in my 73 chally is all upholstered with new covers etc but now that it is in the car it leans badly to the left. Good if you want the gal to get closer but my friends .......... lets not go there.

Anyway I notice that you pull the seat adjuster lever (not sure) back? on the drivers side. Everything is ok there and it moves great. the passenger side lever needs to go the opposite way - so forward I think - the seat is crooked and it binds in the travel. Could I have the driver's side setup also on the passenger side? Everything is bolted down solid.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Seat is Crooked
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010 - 10:35:15 PM »
Are all the black plastic spacers installed between the floor and track?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010 - 10:47:01 PM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010 - 10:44:11 PM »
So my passenger seat in my 73 chally is all upholstered with new covers etc but now that it is in the car it leans badly to the left. Good if you want the gal to get closer but my friends .......... lets not go there.

Anyway I notice that you pull the seat adjuster lever (not sure) back? on the drivers side. Everything is ok there and it moves great. the passenger side lever needs to go the opposite way - so forward I think - the seat is crooked and it binds in the travel. Could I have the driver's side setup also on the passenger side? Everything is bolted down solid.

No,the passenger side does push forward and drivers side pulls back..does the bottom part sag or is it just the back of the seat that leans more,,your rear seat back frame may need repair or the adjuster is screwy ,,are you sure its bolted down properly?,,pull the seat and check the track..If its just the backing thats leaning,check the hinge areas
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010 - 12:15:10 AM »
My tracks were gooed up to the point that one of the rollers was not turning making it an effort to move.  I tore them down to find old grease that had hardened & some ball bearings missing...
  Elbow grease, fresh grease and a trip to the bicycle shop for bearings & their smooth as butter now.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010 - 10:00:15 AM »
If it is a standard seat track, there are no spacers or anything.  The tracks simply bolt on to the bottom of the seat, and then they bolt down through the floor (2 bolts on each side).  Have you sat in it to check and see if the whole seat is crooked, or like was said before, it could just be the seat back is crooked.  Do you have any pics?

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010 - 09:35:14 PM »
Will post a pic this weekend when I get home. The passenger seat bottom sits at a lower level on the tunnel side(rear left) if you compare the drivers seat with the passenger seat. That is what it seems that is making it lean over.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010 - 09:48:50 PM »
you may have to remove it an take a closer look,,I dont know if its possible to have the track on the tunnel side reversed but it may be something to check,,and check to make sure the bolts are secure and not loose on that side of the track,,I would remove it and inspect closer,,are the floor boards in good shape ?

72rtchallenger
stays in the garage

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010 - 09:43:34 AM »
Another thought, could the bolts on the outside be caught up with the threads hanging up on the floor boards, so it might be sitting too high?

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010 - 10:26:56 AM »
I had the same problem.I used a spacer to rise the one side on the rear.Use a big nut and slide it over stud.This will correct it.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010 - 10:58:27 AM »
Another thought, could the bolts on the outside be caught up with the threads hanging up on the floor boards, so it might be sitting too high?

:iagree:  yes you should check the outer track,,
72rtchallenger
stays in the garage

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010 - 09:52:35 PM »
All floorboards were replaced in this car. I thought about the seat bolt threads hanging up on the edge of the hole when I was under there-might explain the difficulty to slide the seat fore and aft. Not to worry - have a 4 post hoist so will take a look again this weekend when I get home. Otherwise the spacer idea may fix it. Really weird as they were straight before the resto was done. Body guy could have hung the floorboard a little lower on one side than the other. Will advise and thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline harlandodge

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010 - 11:26:31 AM »

i am installing my seats right now and it appears that i going to have to put a spacer under the left rear of passenger seat between the track and floor