Author Topic: Headlight Relays  (Read 15115 times)

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
Re: Headlight Relays
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010 - 04:21:02 PM »
I think I'm going to add another relay for the parking lights, cas I still have a noticeable negative charge at idle (I assume from reading other posts, this is normal.).

Adding a relay won't make the negative charge go away, it will just make it so your ammeter can't see it.

I don't think there is any good reason for adding a relay on the parking lights - the stock switch is easily up to the job there.  But add one if you like.

'72 'cuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010 - 04:35:34 PM »
Not needed but a good addition anyway. The factory should have done it. I count 17 bulbs that come on when I turn on my parking lights in my 70 Challenger.  Yes, that includes the radio, heater and ashtray lights.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010 - 07:34:57 PM »
Not needed but a good addition anyway. The factory should have done it. I count 17 bulbs that come on when I turn on my parking lights in my 70 Challenger.  Yes, that includes the radio, heater and ashtray lights.

So where is this relay wired in for the parking lights? Trying to think of what is common that will feed everything, is it just wired at the headlight switch itself?

Can't think of a car in existance that uses a relay for parking lights. Connections and grounds are the most important in my opinion. Have you checked for any voltage on the ground side of any of those bulbs? I went through both of my father-in-laws 76 and 79 model dodge trucks and found several volts throughout the truck due to faulty grounds. No voltage drops to the bulbs to really mention after the bulkhead connections were clean.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010 - 11:48:42 PM »
So where is this relay wired in for the parking lights? Trying to think of what is common that will feed everything, is it just wired at the headlight switch itself?

I have my parking lights wired through a relay so my alarm can blink my lights and hold them on for 30 seconds when turning it off.  I tapped into the wire feeding the front parking lights right next to my headlight relays,  which energizes all of the lights.  I didn't set mine up for the switch to turn them on yet but should. I would isolate that circuit at the switch like you suggested. That way the running lights are lit along with the orange wire-interior lights.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010 - 02:45:42 AM »
We could go overboard with relays if we wanted to, park lights maybe, maybe not, the horn can be a good one though as some do draw a current. What is really needed is to take away as much loading from the firewall connector, the few milliamps that the dash globes draw is not really worth it.
Now that you have the relays for the headlights the amp guage won't register the current draw as mentioned but if you were to test the battery it would probably be around 12 v or a bit below depending upon you alternator and the engine idle speed.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline dandsgcuda

• almost there
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010 - 02:57:37 AM »
The relay box is out of a mid 90"s camaro. 93-98 4TH gen LT1 equiped cars have them under the hood. I wired it up like the dodgeboys posted because I have driving lights.

Offline UKcuda

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010 - 04:19:15 AM »
the horn can be a good one though as some do draw a current

Isn't the horn already on a relay?

I think maybe they use relays generally with horn circuits to reduce current through the steering column since it earths through there and could damage bearings etc. if there was any arcing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010 - 04:30:30 AM by UKcuda »
'72 'cuda

Offline UKcuda

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010 - 04:33:31 AM »
Hey dandsgcuda is there a bigger photo of your cuda - I'm liking that colour.
'72 'cuda

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:28:36 AM »
Isn't the horn already on a relay?

I think maybe they use relays generally with horn circuits to reduce current through the steering column since it earths through there and could damage bearings etc. if there was any arcing.

Yep, it is on its on relay already.

Headlights, driving lights, and the ignition system are typically the only things that may really benefit from additional relays altho I have seen a few "hotwire" power windows trying to get them to move faster on other cars.

The draw of small bulbs as in the dash is usually very small.

The two connectors in the bulkhead connector that carry power to the ammeter and back to the engine compartment are often a problem as they tend to be undersized for the load they can carry and often burn and develop higher resistance after 40 years or so.  This can affect the voltage getting to the dash, etc.

Various solutions are available online to resolve that.  I simply bypassed them altogether and ran an 8 ga thru a grommet to a terminal block inside and connected everything on the interior to that point.

I like the use of the relay center a lot.  That is a really neat solution.  I am going to have to back up a notch and find one before I add the relays for the head lights as I already have one for the pump and another for the ignition.  Nice to put them altogether in one spot instead of spreading them around.

Offline dandsgcuda

• almost there
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010 - 01:23:01 AM »
here is some bigger pics

Offline UKcuda

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2010 - 04:59:22 AM »
That looks lovely, reminds me of the colour of toffee papers.

It looks great in front of that shed - what happened to that !?
'72 'cuda

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2010 - 09:07:43 AM »
 :drool:  Love that colour! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010 - 08:29:57 PM »
Ordered some 5000k HIDs to replace my 90w H4 bulbs. We'll see how it goes. $40 is hard to pass up  :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010 - 08:39:40 PM »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2010 - 08:43:55 PM »
I've bought four sets of HIDs off ebay and haven't had issues. $40 a set. Just finally got around to my Barracuda with it  :2thumbs:
1976 Dodge Warlock