17x9 fitment questions

Author Topic: 17x9 fitment questions  (Read 7429 times)

Offline cudazappa

Re: 17x9 fitment questions
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010 - 08:45:53 PM »
yes, that's what I meant....   6mm offset :banghead:  been having a lot of those moments lately it seems...  and I'm not doing that bad in Differentials and Equations (aka Calc 4) this semester either.... :dunno:
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010 - 06:25:02 AM »
just to dredge this up.... I bought a set of 17x9s on Sunday...  Test fitting them this evening... am grabbing the camera...

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010 - 03:03:57 PM »
Sorry I missed this thread earlier, I have an 04 Mach 1, I tried to put the Mach stock Mach wheels on the front of my '74 Cuda and they will not go over the stock front disk hub (center section). I am sure someone could mill out the inside of the wheel a bit, or the hub but Mine definitely does not fit. The rear fitment was good, but my rear needs to be re-centered as one side was pretty close while the other side had room to spare. :(

(can't test fit now, as the whole car is torn apart. :) )  I could however send pics of the hub issues if needed, the hub and wheels are off the car.
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010 - 03:22:10 PM »
the 11.75" rotors I have are slightly smaller in the front (like a lead) and they accommodate the mustang hub size with the use of a spacer.  My 17x8 Konigs have the mustang register size.

If the rims wouldn't fit the rotors I would have turned down the rotors enough so that the rims would have fit fine with the spacers.

The rear isn't an issue because as we know the register doesn't stick out far at all, so the spacer negates that...

Right now, I'm hoping I don't need to make custom spacers front and/or rear to get the 17x9 (03-04 Mustang SVT) to fit.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010 - 06:18:01 PM »
Ok, time to tell a story with pictures!

Just for reference I am starting with 03-04 SVT rims, 17x9 with 26mm offset.
I will be running 275/40 tires all the way around.
I have 1.25" spacers or about 32mm.  So the rims are at -6 offset.  I had rubbing with 16x8 rims at -11 offset and 245/50s.

Ok, here's a pic showing clearance to spring.  Plenty, good!

Here's clearance to wheel lip (on the side that rubbed) Not bad, but should be better.  I could remove the moulding and roll the lip as is it seems, but with all the clearance behind the rim, shorter spacers look to be the best decision for the rear.

Just a pic to show overall appearance in the back, not bad.  Yes, I should blast and paint the drum, or get rear discs...  maybe sometime before Carlisle.

Overall front view.  Tire is a 245/50.  Car is on the ground, so its a loaded suspension. That a 1" larger diameter than a 245/45 (so take a 1/2" off the radius, 275/40 has the same diameter as 245/45)

a decent look at the fenderlip clearance.  Again out too far.

Ooops, hits the fender.  Plenty of clearance when turning the other way, including frame rail.

So the next steps is to mount a 275/40 tire and purchase 1" spacers.  (a pair to start)  Test fit from there...  I have a feeling the wheel well molding isn't going to survive and I may need to slightly trim the front fenders...

Offline SBDave

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010 - 02:29:52 PM »
Any updates?  I need to get my act together and start measuring my car!

-Dave

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010 - 03:45:32 PM »
Now that Carlisle has come and gone...  this is Saturday's project.

all rims are mounted with the 275/40 tires.  and I have 1" spacers.

cutoff tool will be available if needed.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010 - 03:54:25 PM »
Now that Carlisle has come and gone...  this is Saturday's project.

all rims are mounted with the 275/40 tires.  and I have 1" spacers.

cutoff tool will be available if needed.

just my  :2cents: don't cut the fender lip in the rear, fold it if needed. I cut mine....regretted it ever since.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline SBDave

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010 - 05:49:44 PM »
It's been two weeks!  Updates?  I just saw a mustang with these wheels in a parking lot last night and almost left a note asking the guy if he would let me borrow one to test fit.  Kinda pissed I didn't now.  Hopefully I'll see it around again.

-Dave

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010 - 10:00:20 PM »
Ok, here's an update.  Sorry no pics as I left my camera at home...

Essentially these are 17x9s with 0 offset (5" backspace)

After the last autocross, first thing I knew to do was to ditch the wheel well chrome.  That created some room up in the front.

In the rear, I mounted the wheels with the 1" spacers.  I drove it around (no extreme maneuvers) and no rubbing in the back!  That's a good sign, but an autocross will be the final judge.

Went to mount them up front.  Here's where the drama starts...

While my Konigs are for a mustang, they have a slightly larger register than Ford size. (maybe Mopar size)  And they fit over my 11.75" discs.  the SVT rims didn't, with either the 1" or 1.25" spacer.  I did manage to mock them up with the 1.25" spacer (still were about .030 to .060 from flush) and turned lock to lock with no rubbing or interference.  Still pretty tight though.  Not sure what it will be like with suspension activity.

Next step is next week to pull the rotors and machine the hubs down to Ford size so I can fit the rims on.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010 - 02:39:57 PM »
The rotors have been turned.

The Ford register size is 1.784"  The leading part of the rotor was 1.785"  Well, now it's 1.774" and the 17x9 will mount to the rotor.  Yes you COULD machine the rim, but its a lot easier to turn the rotor.  Another reason why I'm recording it here is if I lose my notes, its saved for posterity.  I'd rather make my Mopars accept the Ford rims as is, rather than cut up the Ford rims.  Especially because it only cost me a Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwitch and an hour's sleep today.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010 - 05:20:31 PM »
The rotors have been turned.

The Ford register size is 1.784"  The leading part of the rotor was 1.785"  Well, now it's 1.774" and the 17x9 will mount to the rotor.  Yes you COULD machine the rim, but its a lot easier to turn the rotor.  Another reason why I'm recording it here is if I lose my notes, its saved for posterity.  I'd rather make my Mopars accept the Ford rims as is, rather than cut up the Ford rims.  Especially because it only cost me a Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwitch and an hour's sleep today.
Did you save us some Tim Bit's?
 :bananasmi
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010 - 10:21:23 PM »
Did you save us some Tim Bit's?
 :bananasmi

yeah, those things are addicting...

BTW: yes the tires rub.  More than the 17x8's do.  The Challenger is going in for an alignment tomorrow morning.  0 to 1/16" toe in, up to -1.5º Camber, and up to +3º Caster.

Pics coming of them on the car soon, probably this weekend.

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010 - 01:37:29 PM »
The car just got done in alignment...

The car needed to be raised about 1" to get both sides the same *sigh*

Toe is somewhere between 0 and 1/16" in.

Camber is about -.5 degrees

Caster is +1.2 degrees.

I also NEED a new steering box, and my left outer tie rod.  Other than that, everything is kosher...

My brother says that this should handle night and day better.  Only took him 3 hours.

Time to look into adj UCAs too it seems.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010 - 01:10:46 AM »
Sounds like progress! I'd love to see pics of the new set up. So you're set up with 17x9 and 5" of backspace in the front? and spacers in the rear? You're running a stock e body rear and springs though right? I've got to get new tires before winter, so I'll probably get my new rims finally...

The alignment sounds decent, the camber is decent. Is there a reason why you're not running more caster? I've always been told that +3 or more is where you want to be, mine is set up at +4 at the moment. But I have tubular UCA's, so I know I have more range than stock.