Author Topic: Man buys NEW SRT-8 Challenger on Ebay for $29,000.00  (Read 2113 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Man buys NEW SRT-8 Challenger on Ebay for $29,000.00
« on: March 17, 2010 - 10:12:02 PM »
Don't know if any of you guys have been following this story. I read it on Challengertalk.com. Here's the link: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/new-2009-srt8-challenger-sells-29-1k-34598/ The gist of the story is that a California man username "Hitman" bought a new SRT-8 Challenger on a NO-RESERVE auction on Ebay and won the car fair & square for 29K from a California Dodge dealership. It seems the dealer somehow either forgeot to list it with a reserve or thought it would generate interest as a "no-reserve" auction and take off big time. It did go well at first but fell off at the end and "Hitman" got it for a cool 29K. The dealership flat out refused to honor the auction and it has now gotten national media attention, is listed on over 100 sites including overseas and is pending possible legal action as the dealer still refuses to budge. It's a 15K mistake for him, but could cost him much more in bad PR is he refuses to sell. Enjoy the thread, it's still on-going and is currently at 69 pages!! :money: :money: :money:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline JH27N0B

Re: Man buys NEW SRT-8 Challenger on Ebay for $29,000.00
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010 - 01:07:15 AM »
Other than the US congress and senate, does any organization have a lower public opinion than car dealers, especially Dodge dealers with all the dealer adjustments and other games so many have been playing over the last 2 years with new Challengers?
I'm not saying what the dealer is doing is right, I am just saying, they don't have to worry about muddying their name by jerking the winning bidder around, as their reputation probably can't be made much worse than it already was prior to their screwing up their ebay auction!

Offline Mopar7890

• 70 Challenger 440 RT/SE, 09 SRT-8, 60 Manx
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010 - 07:14:44 AM »
Other than the US congress and senate, does any organization have a lower public opinion than car dealers,
Yes, eBay  :bigsmile:

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010 - 07:35:35 AM »
Not that I wouldn't love to get a SRT8 for that price but come on.  This is a business that provides jobs for people.  They made an honest mistake.  Would you want to be screwed if you made a mistake?  Why are we so willing to take advantage of someone?  The world would be a better place if people had a little more compassion.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010 - 08:08:37 AM »
Not that I wouldn't love to get a SRT8 for that price but come on.  This is a business that provides jobs for people.  They made an honest mistake.  Would you want to be screwed if you made a mistake?  Why are we so willing to take advantage of someone?  The world would be a better place if people had a little more compassion.

[rant]The world would also be a better place if there was a bit more integrity. That includes following through on your commitments and taking ownership of your mistakes.  Just cause you f*ck-up, doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for it. [/rant]

That being said, the dealer should at least be willing to find the middle ground. For the dealer to flat refuse to sell the car is BS.

Note at the bottom of the auction:
"Disclaimer: This auction is a legally binding contract to buy this vehicle. All vehicles are sold as-is unless otherwise specified. I have done my best to accurately describe this vehicle. It is up to the buyer to come see and further inspect the car before the end of the auction."

It works both ways.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010 - 08:29:18 AM »
The world would be a better place if people had a little more compassion.

How about that car dealer having some compassion for the little guy? You think this guy should be SOL cause some dealers mistake?  :villagers:

[rant]The world would also be a better place if there was a bit more integrity. That includes following through on your commitments and taking ownership of your mistakes.  Just cause you f*ck-up, doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for it. [/rant]

That being said, the dealer should at least be willing to find the middle ground. For the dealer to flat refuse to sell the car is BS.

Note at the bottom of the auction:
"Disclaimer: This auction is a legally binding contract to buy this vehicle. All vehicles are sold as-is unless otherwise specified. I have done my best to accurately describe this vehicle. It is up to the buyer to come see and further inspect the car before the end of the auction."

It works both ways.
:iagree: 110% "This auction is a legally binding contract"

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010 - 09:12:28 AM »
If the buyer tried to back out from a bid of say $50k do you think the dealer would just say OK or hold him to it?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010 - 11:17:14 AM »
Suppose the bidding went to $43k.

I bet the dealer then wouldn't back out b/c there was no reserve on the listing.

Legally binding...too bad!  Take it out of the salesman's salary who posted the auction.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010 - 11:28:50 AM »
Its up to 83 pages and still climbing, check it out Glenn E Thomas Dodge is on wikipedia now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_E._Thomas_Dodge

I don't know how long the auction ran for but it was long enough for someone to catch the no reserve oversight. They made a mistake and now have to own up to it, that's life, sorry.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline KM/H

• VETTEVIS
    • www.rubenooms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010 - 11:33:02 AM »
Over 40 years this car will be in the magazines as the "famous Ebay Challenger" now restored!! :cooldancing:
(O====I====O) www.rubenooms.com

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010 - 09:48:53 PM »
Maybe the gov'ment should step in and settle this.  That'll only take, what, 17 years to figure out.  Maybe provide the winner and dealership with a stimuless (yeah, I know how I spelled that) check. 

Seriously, sorry to the dealership for not proof reading their ad before listing it.  It is a binding contract and I don't see how the dealership has a leg to stand on if it goes to court.  Good luck to Hitman.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010 - 06:00:11 PM »
Its up to 83 pages and still climbing, check it out Glenn E Thomas Dodge is on wikipedia now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_E._Thomas_Dodge

I don't know how long the auction ran for but it was long enough for someone to catch the no reserve oversight. They made a mistake and now have to own up to it, that's life, sorry.

that page has been deleted.

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:37:55 AM »
The dealership screwed up, now they need to follow through and sell the car for the price that was bid. Time to man up and be accountable for your mistakes!
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010 - 11:39:46 AM »
That's the problem, no one is held accountable for anything.  If you got a variable mortgage and now can't pay, it's not your fault.  Someone tricked you!

I feel like such an idiot for getting a mortgage I could afford and paying it!

Offline gkring

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010 - 11:52:41 AM »
Well, looks like he got the car. Good for him. Dealership could have gottn just as much positive publicity as negative out of this.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver