Author Topic: 440 -> '73 Barracuda - mixed up, misaligned pulleys and brackets - need help!!!  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Digimonatx

Greetings,
A forum search showed that this topic has been discussed before, but - none of the posted photos are available (get a "not found" error message).  I've got a 1973 Barracuda (bought not too long ago) that the previous owner(s) retrofitted with a basic 440 setup (originally a 318).  The power steering pulley alignment and mounting brackets are wrong/bad.  An attempt was made to align the pulley by stacking up washers, and that basically worked, but is still wrong and looks bad.  Lots of time researching has not yielded a clear answer - hoping ya'll can help me out.  I'll post pics here, but just in case they don't work, I'm putting them on my personal website too - at this URL:

http://johnsilvey.net/galleries/2010/2010.03.18-CudaBrackets/HTML

First some info:
   The engine casting numbers say that this is a '77->'78 440 2-bolt "truck engine"
   The head castings support that - same vintage, 8.2:1 compressions
       (post unleaded gas switch = hardened valve seats :-)
   The car is a '73 Barracuda that we're hoping to build a '440 'Cuda clone out of
   I confirmed that the high-pressure hose from the pump to the steering gear is the right number for the original 318 setup of this car - supposed to go from a Saginaw pump to the steering gear.  The hose fit reasonably well from the pump to the steering gear.
   The number stamped on the front of the P/S pulley also appears to be a good part number - 3830967 - and I think I read that, like the hose, matches the vintage of the car.
   The car originally had A/C when the 318 was in it.  The 440 setup doesn't include a compressor.  Eventually, I'd like to put a compressor back into it and resurrect the A/C.  At the moment, it doesn't have it, though.

First question:  The finned cooler in the P/S fluid return routing - is this aftermarket or original?  It as the name "Blissfield" stamped on it and some numbers that I could not find via Google.

Second question: Does anybody recognize the bracket setup?  My only source of info so far has been the YearOne catalog, and these brackets don't match any of the configurations that they sell

Third question: Does anybody recognize the pump?  As I said earlier, I confirmed that the high-pressure hose was for a Saginaw pump, and it fits from this pump to the steering gear reasonably well.  But - I've got a copy of the '73 Chrysler service manual, and this pump does not match the photo of the Saginaw pump that they show in the manual (which has an oval neck on it).  This pump also does not match the other pump described in the '73 Chrysler manul

Fourth question: I've included a shot of the front of the engine - where everything should go ... there is a 3rd bracket in there, still bolted to the engine.  The bracket the bolts to the front of the pump bolts to this bracket.

Fifth question:  is the front of all 440's from the late '60's thru the late '70's basically the same?  I.e., if I just picked a year/model (like a '70 'Cuda w/440), bought the brackets and pump for it, would it all bolt up correctly to this '77-'78 440 ex-truck block?

Finally - the pulleys ... the crank pulley has 4 grooves.  And the alternator mounted to this engine has two grooves.  I'm guessing that the two inner groves drive the A/C compressor and the alternator.  The next grove out (3rd groove out) drives the P/S pump, and the 4th drives the fan (fan pulley also has one groove).  Again - this whole setup appears to be cobbled together, so I'm not even sure we've got the correct pully's on anything.

Thanks very much for any help or advice.  Attached are the photos (if they don't show up, you can see them on my website in the link above).
- john s.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
The pump looks just like one I got to replace the one on my 383.  My original was different shaped, but it fit the brackets the same as the one you show.  I don't think I can answer your other questions but I've included a link to Bouchillon Performance which Ive done business with and was happy with their service & prices and I know they've sold Mopar engine brackets for years:

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEalternatorbracketkits.asp

If I were you I'd strongly consider buying all new brackets & spacers rather than try to fix someone elses mix & match mess!  Good luck.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
I will add that I had the hardest time figuring out the correct power steering pressure hose for the PS on my 70 Roadrunner.  It looks ver similar to the one you show, and mine turned out to be listed as a 'dealer special order' something or other, not the regularly listed hose for 70 B-body 383's.  The way I ended up finding out about my PS hose & being able to buy a new one was to carry it to my local NAPA store and they had a catalog that showed the various hoses by shape and I was able to identify which one my car had.  Chrysler was weird about putting 2 & 3 different versions of things like pumps & hoses, etc. in cars of the same model year which makes it a challenge sometimes to figure out what is 'right' for yours. 

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
from what i am seeing your using ac brackets with out the ac, Need to use non ac ps brackets, pic is of the correct bracket

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010 - 08:47:54 PM by mopardave »
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out