Author Topic: Funky Fuel Bowl  (Read 1101 times)

Offline 340_6pak

Funky Fuel Bowl
« on: March 18, 2010 - 02:20:11 PM »
Hi guys (and gals);

My six pak has been running rich, so I pulled the center carb and changed the 67 jets to 65. When I did, I noticed that the metering plate did not seem to be threaded, it was like when you put in jets it cuts it's own thread. Seemed strange to me since the jets are brass and not the strongest of metals.

But what really scared me is the condition of the metering plate itself. It looks as if the metal is splitting and coming off. When it does, it is going to be sucked in the jets when I am in bfe. These carbs are about 3 years old, and have less than 600 miles on them. Have you ever seen anything like this?

And oh yeah. I use the best gas I can find.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 - 02:26:17 PM by 340_6pak »
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Funky Fuel Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010 - 04:45:57 PM »
I have seen that & I am wondering if the ethanol in the fule is causing the deterioration of the alum

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010 - 05:46:11 PM »
What about the jet threads, Chryco. Are they machined into the block?
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010 - 05:50:56 PM »
Humm, so what do I do? Get blocks made from a better material? Please suggust websites, vendors, etc.

And the sticker on the pump says this gas may contain 10% ethanol.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 - 05:53:13 PM by 340_6pak »
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010 - 06:35:08 PM »
Something is wrong with the metering block. That jet on the left isn't in correctly. Yes, they are machined, so swapping out jets is no real problem.

I have a friend that had a brand new Holley get crudded up like yours. He sent it back to Summit, and the new carb is fine. I just don't know if this was a problem with Holley for a time, or the Ethanol in the gas now.    :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010 - 06:39:52 PM »
340_6pak,

Looks way to familiar!!! I had the same thing happen on a Holley 4 bbl on my 440 in both primary and secondary bowls.  One minute the car would run fine the next it would hardly run.....why cause it was sucking that crap straight into the jets.  Once I realized what was going on I was so fed up with the Holley I changed it out for a used Edelbrock.  Probably not the right thing to do but man was I frustrated. 

Chryco, this is exactly what I was speaking of when you and I spoke last night...the exact same thing.

I will let others tell you the best place to buy new ones....

T1971Chally
Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
  • Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Albert Einstein
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010 - 06:50:16 PM »
those are trash!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010 - 07:47:25 PM »
you may want to consider this 6pk package promax makes. It does have a billet metering plate  and I think you can get the plate only

http://www.promaxcarbs.com/

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010 - 08:03:27 PM »
Ok, so getting other metering  blocks is an option. I will show Holly this post and see what they want to do. If they do nothing, does anyone else make carbs for a 6 pak setup?
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010 - 02:04:33 AM »
yes the jets are threaded , the left jet looks like it is cross threaded into the block .
the only other 6 pack carbs are Demons which is hardly an upgrade .
HOLLEY may have had an issue with the alum or the coating of the alum causing that breakdown or it could be fuel related , either way Holley needs to know about it as they may have to change something in their process & they my warranty it for you

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010 - 06:33:46 AM »
A friend of mine had a similar issue with a Holley 4bbl last year. He called the Holley tech line with the list # and date code. They replaced his carb, no questions asked and told him they had a plating problem during the period that his carb was made.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010 - 10:03:29 AM »
Quapman nailed it. This is a significant problem with many fuel system parts, both in carbs and in many other places. Ford had a run of bad fuel tanks a few years ago, delaminating in diesel fuel. To clarify, it is NOT the ethanol in the gasoline. The least unfriendly component of modern gasoline is ethanol, and it is non-reactive with aluminum. Methanol is the problem child of the alcohols, and the reason that alcohol in fuel has a bad name. The only bad habit of ethanol is water-gathering; it is hygroscopic, and will increase corrosion in long storage situations; especially in high humidity environments.

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010 - 11:24:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies, just fyi, the numbers on the carb are 3577103 4792 0906. I will take a look at the outboard carbs today.

Thanks again.
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010 - 02:29:23 PM »
3 yrs and 600 miles... That has something to do with it. This is just a theory but along the lines of CPs thinking I think: The fuel that has ethanol in it attracts and holds moisture. It is not like the older fuels in that regard. I'm thinking the fuel is sittng in the bowls and just corroding the base material. I would advize you to simply stick a small pair of vice grips on the fuel feed line when you know you're not going to be driving it, and let it idle the fuel out of the bowls. It wont get it all out, but it will get the majority of it out. Then leave it alone. Don't keep starting it and filling the bowls again. I have some really old Holleys that have damage like that and some of them were left out on a car in the rain with no hood.

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010 - 04:26:20 PM »
Now that is interesting. I cannot clamp the lines shut because they are metal, but I can shut off the electric fuel pump and let it 'run out of gas'.

Thanks so much, oh, and dont use the plastic sight plugs, at least not for long. I put one in yesterday and this morning the head of it cracked off leaving a part of it in the threads. So off comes the carb, off comes the float bowl, well you guys know th drill.
73 Challenger
340 6pak