Author Topic: fuel tank question  (Read 1918 times)

Offline 70 RAG TOP

fuel tank question
« on: March 20, 2010 - 11:22:34 AM »
I ordered a new fuel tank from Vans Auto and  my question is:   Should I seal the new tank with a liquid sealer or would that be overkill?  I don't believe that it is a stainless steel model, therefore I am worried about rust setting in quick, because it is raw metal.  Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: fuel tank question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010 - 11:37:37 AM »
there are other recent threads on this, including one from an Eastwoods tech (they produce paints and sealers) and the simple answer is no.
There is no reason to seal the inside of a new tank. The sealers are designed to work on older tanks for people who want to stay "original". Remember, the original tanks are 40 years old now.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010 - 11:47:41 AM »
Thanks Tommy g for your quick reply.  That makes me feel better.  I can use the time and energy on something else.

Mike
Mike

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010 - 12:52:33 PM »
there are other recent threads on this, including one from an Eastwoods tech (they produce paints and sealers) and the simple answer is no.
There is no reason to seal the inside of a new tank. The sealers are designed to work on older tanks for people who want to stay "original". Remember, the original tanks are 40 years old now.
quick question do you need to paint the outside of them or they fine to just leave raw?what is everyone else doing?

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
  • Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Albert Einstein
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010 - 01:08:59 PM »
Eastwood recommends their "PRE" to do a surface clean and their product called "Tank Tone" for the flat black finish....this is what we're doing on 69ChargerRT's new tank.......

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010 - 02:34:08 PM »
Do Not ever paint a tank flat black , they absorb heat , boil the fuel inside the tank & you will have vapor lock problems , the factory tanks are left silver for a reason , I have encounter fuel boiling problems twice here & I live in a cold climate

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010 - 04:58:54 PM »
I wouldnt paint it black either. I just installed a new tank and used the "pre" cleaner and then the tank tone color, which is a flat light gray color, but I really dont think you need to paint the outside either. It's probably galvanized and should last a good many years before starting to rust. If you paint it it will just show scratches and nicks a lot more easily.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010 - 10:05:28 PM »
Well I'm going to keep it raw then

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010 - 11:58:02 AM »
Do Not ever paint a tank flat black , they absorb heat , boil the fuel inside the tank & you will have vapor lock problems , the factory tanks are left silver for a reason , I have encounter fuel boiling problems twice here & I live in a cold climate

Ya know, its funny you said this.

When I was messing my my (once again goof y) fuel sending unit i noticed when I removed the unit this time that the vapros coming out of the tank thru that hole were "humid" and warm....this was after a test ride...

My tank was painted black by the body shop who redid the tank.

I have always had an issue with hot restarts....after the car sits for longer than 5 minutes or so after a drive, it has to crank much longer to start...I always assumed it was the carb heating up, but I wonder if the tank is contributing?

I assume it is the color that is absorbing heat right? So I could in theory just respray it siler or aluminum tone to help reflect heat?

Although I had a black motorycle a while ago...tank was balck...and THAT is in the hot sun directly, not hanging under the car like car gas tank would....and I never had issues? If that because of the size differences or because the bike tank is gravity fed?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 - 12:01:41 PM by shadango »

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010 - 02:03:59 AM »
How is the pad attached?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010 - 02:06:37 AM »
the top pad was glued on from the factory
just coating over the black with silver paint will stop the fuel heating inside the tank , there is no doubt this is contributing to your hot start problem

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010 - 08:31:57 AM »
I just put a clear coat on mine to help with rust problems common in Michigan.   :grinyes:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010 - 08:39:33 AM by 4Cruizn »

Offline Eastwood Company

• Sponsor
    • Eastwood Company
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010 - 09:17:13 AM »
As mentioned, a QUALITY new tank shouldn't really need to be coated/sealed internally. Although some people like to do it for peace of mind. I have seen sub-par low quality reproduction tanks that have begun to rust/rot out after 5 years of use. But this all varies on what the normal usage of the car is and where it is stored on a normal basis.

The silver/gray tank coat is common to keep the original finish, also clear coat is a pretty neat option to keep the "raw" look of the tank. Either way, some sort of coating on the outside of the tank is a good idea!

Here is our options for the tank coatings (internal and external):

Gas Tank Internal Sealer Kit: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-sealer-kits-for-cars.html?srccode=cuda

Tank Tone exterior coating: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-tank-tone-metallic-coating-aerosol-13-oz.html?srccode=cuda

And as always all cuda-challenger members get 15% off your total order of $25 of more.  :cooldancing:
Please add our Facebook for the most current happenings here at Eastwood!
http://www.facebook.com/eastwoodcompany

Follow our blog for interesting restoration stories and DIY articles!
http://blog.eastwood.com/

Offline the Wizard

• Business Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010 - 11:54:27 AM »
Neil,

What kind of adhesive would you use?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010 - 12:23:39 PM »
The adhesive is just to keep the pad in place until the tank is bolted up.  It does nothing after that.  You can get some spray adhesive from a craft store...I'm sure Walmart has it.  It really doesn't matter.