Author Topic: need a little help about headers  (Read 1228 times)

Offline harlandodge

need a little help about headers
« on: March 20, 2010 - 10:21:14 PM »
my 73 challenger is a small block car, did have headers on the small block,, i swaped it out for a 383 engine,, what i need to know before i buy anymore headers  is will i have the room to install them on the big block ? just wanting to make sure before i spend money on a new set,,,,,any advice on what brand to get ?,,,,,,,,,,thanks

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Re: need a little help about headers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010 - 12:42:44 AM »
my 73 challenger is a small block car, did have headers on the small block,, i swaped it out for a 383 engine,, what i need to know before i buy anymore headers  is will i have the room to install them on the big block ? just wanting to make sure before i spend money on a new set,,,,,any advice on what brand to get ?,,,,,,,,,,thanks

I have a 383 1970 Roadrunner (same engine bay) with Hooker headers and there's room but for me I had to take off the starter, and unbolt the drivers side engine mount and jack up the engine a few inches to install the driver side header from above.  I understand if you can get your car on a lift they could be easier to install from below.  Access to the spark plugs with the Hookers isn't the best and it takes me about twice as long as it should to swap out plugs, not a show-stopper but definitely a pain in the @$$.  Others here have very high opinions of tti brand headers & exhaust for their fit & finish on Mopars.  If I were to buy a set today that's probably what I would buy just be ready to spend extra $ as they aren't inexpensive.  383's are great engines, congrats!

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline harlandodge

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010 - 12:44:43 AM »
ok thanks for the info

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 - 01:01:29 PM »
If I was buying headers I would buy the TTI , they offer a different header between the 383 & 440 to keep them tight to the floor , they offer the best fit & spark plug access period , the Dougs headers are a close second anything else & you will be swearing

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline KMKuda

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010 - 06:01:56 PM »
If I was buying headers I would buy the TTI , they offer a different header between the 383 & 440 to keep them tight to the floor , they offer the best fit & spark plug access period , the Dougs headers are a close second anything else & you will be swearing

:iagree: I had a pair of Dougs on my big block power wagon and the fit was pretty good.

Offline harlandodge

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010 - 10:45:31 PM »
ok thanks everyone for the help,,in the past i bought hooker headers  and hated them on e-bodies

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010 - 02:02:40 AM »
ME too also the hedmans fit poorly at best

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010 - 06:46:33 AM »
I believe that even the mini starter hits some of the lesser branded headers on the 383, probably also why TTi make a different one for the 383.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline HerbS

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010 - 02:01:52 PM »
Ernie, at ET Automotive in Garland TX, [my go-to guy for such things for 26 years now] tells me that some mini-starters are clocked in a way that doesn't save much space. He said Tilton and another brand, name escapes me, are clocked properly to give maximum room for header clearance. He votes for TTi's also.
'72 Challenger project, 383, 727 w/Slap-Stik