HORROR STORY

Author Topic: HORROR STORY  (Read 2625 times)

Offline gunmetal

HORROR STORY
« on: March 21, 2010 - 09:10:10 AM »
I’d like to pass on some wisdom that seems to be common knowledge to a lot of people; unless you’re new to the classic car hobby.
I was in need of paint and body work to be done to my car, I did a little searching and found a guy who seemed to talk the talk and knew all the buzz words. I looked at a car he was working on and felt I had made the right decision to allow him to make my pride and joy like new.

That’s where it goes horribly wrong. Little things started nawing away at me but having never done anything like this before I was unsure. I’d see things that didn’t seem right but trusted the so called expert.  Two and a half months later I’m in his garage with no power (lights had been turned off by the power company) pleading for him to give me my unfinished car because I had had enough.  I got my car and what a surprise.

Clear coat so thin that he had burned thru the paint when buffed covered by a piece of tape , runs that could be seen from 5 feet, areas that had not been painted at all,.  Pits so deep they could not be repaired, sander marks throughout the car, window trim that could not be put on because of the buildup of filler. Using a clear coat that cost $30 a gallon having hardly no UV protection leaving me with a car that would chalk in months.
Long story short; after $4,000 (“cash” I paid in good faith per the terms of our agreement) I’m left with a car that still needs body work and a fresh paint job. 

Everyone that has come to look at the car to give estimates on fixing the botched job says the same thing;  “it will cost another $4-5,000 to get this car where it needs to be”.  They all know of horror stories where so called body guys have taken on a job and done horrific things to paying customers, leaving them with work to be re-done and feeling of being RAPED.

This is not aimed at the thousands of reputable body guys that make a living doing an honest day’s work, this is aimed at con artist in a little town in Northern Indiana (Pierceton) with a name that sounds like Ron (last name sounds like red, white and _ _ _ _).

Do your home work; ask around before you put the love of your life in harm’s way……

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: HORROR STORY
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:33:26 AM »
I Feel for ya man... Read way to many of these story's. Be wary of anyone who requires payment up front.  Getting multiple references & checking them out is about all you can do.   
  We need a sticky thread of what NOT to do & watch out for.   

Your not to far from fishin  give him a shout http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=60025.0
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010 - 10:35:45 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010 - 11:02:35 AM »
Another sad body work story . . . . .  :walkaway:

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 - 12:42:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about the bs you had to go through  :(

I've had my own post on this, to a much lesser extent, but it was still the fact of someone saying one thing right to your face, and next thing you know they are doing something different than what was agreed on.
Hell, I got a broken front windshield, (never got replaced), and a full set of hood hinges for my 70 R/T are now forever gone in the "process"  :swear:
I've already blasted him on here before and I won't do it again......but yea, sometimes people can really suck  :walkaway:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline flores_57

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010 - 01:47:22 PM »
Hey gunmetal I too got the BIG green weenie from a so called expert. Everything you said brought back some really bad memories 'bout my paint job. I told him after I saw the job that he did & he refusing to fix the problems that I would make it a point to warn others about him. His name is David Morales & he's out of El Paso,Tx...Morales Custom paint & body.
My lugnuts require more TQ than your ricer produces!!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010 - 02:26:36 PM »
 :(  MAn, I really hate hearing stories like this.  Real sorry about this situation.  Nobody likes to be taken for a "ride".  Any way to get some money back? 

Wish you the best in getting your car fixed up.  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010 - 05:34:07 PM »
Terrible news!  I can just imagine your frustration.   :swear:   Money and time out the window, come on guys - let's go get 'em!!!   :villagers:

Sean

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010 - 06:14:03 PM »

That’s where it goes horribly wrong. Little things started nawing away at me but having never done anything like this before I was unsure. I’d see things that didn’t seem right but trusted the so called expert. 

I know in my experience, every time things gnaw at me and I ignore them, I get burned. Doesn't help you now, but I figure that anybody who's getting thousands of my dollars owes me the time to answer a few questions.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010 - 06:41:27 PM »
Been there, done that
For all of you that re gonna do  resto-pay at the end and get everything in writing no matter how much you trust them :villagers:

Offline gunmetal

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010 - 08:45:55 PM »
Thanks for all your support guys, seems after all this there are a lot of people with the same story.  Amazing how they all seem similar, I too ended up with a broken windshield but was lucky enough to get a new one. I recognize I was at fault to, I was in a hurry to get my car done in time for nice weather.  Really sad part is that I end up having very little trust for anyone in the service industry.  I've got to move on and make the best of bad situation. 

Thanks for listening, I started this thread in hopes that someone would take a little extra time to make sure they have all the facts when dealing with anyone working on your car.....I've learned from it and will move on....

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010 - 11:03:11 PM »
I wish this kind of thing would never happen but it always will as people are trying to make a quick buck. I have been in the hobby for years and do most of my own work including body work. I do have a autobody associates degree but work for a company that makes plastic parts for the oem's. I just progam robots and watch them spray paint and make changes as needed all day at my job and I love it as I still like going home and working on my own cars. Hope you find a good place to fix your challenger and make it right.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:15:47 AM »
What a nigtmare, so sorry....I myself wish I could get my car down to Wages and let him fiddel with it.

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010 - 01:51:04 AM »
So sorry to hear that.  Yes, many of us have had similar experiences.  I won't go into details, but my car required 4 different bodyshops, some legal action, a lot of lost money, and a bunch of my sheetmetal stolen when the guy fled the state.

Two important things here: 
One is that you have obviously learned an important lesson.  I had lingering doubts about the guy that did my car, and I should have listened to that inner voice.  He did fantastic work, but he was a flake.   :(

The second important thing - Please don't let this dampen your enthusiasm for the hobby.  After my experience, I just wanted out - Someone could have gotten a heck of a deal on my Challenger!  But now that some time has passed, I am SO glad that I didn't let it ruin my plans.  Keep your chin up, get the car done to your liking, and then be glad that part of it is over.

There are some good people out there, but they're not easy to find.  Keep your eyes and ears open! 

-Tom

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010 - 11:40:22 AM »
That sux. I started asking around about bodywork. Everyone I asked said they did bodywork.  So I decided to do my own. Couldn't trust anyone but myself. Nothing against anyone out there who does good work.   FWIW. I've never been steered wrong on this website.  Where are you? Lot's of help around here. And I love to sand! :screwy:   R/T
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010 - 10:51:08 PM »
Gunmetal:  Sorry to hear about your mess.  I'm in the same boat, trying to find someone to correct the worst of a crap paint job.  The hassle I've found is the good outfits that turn out beautiful paint are too busy doing insurance deer hits, and don't want to touch my car.
Phil