Author Topic: Could the wrong oil do this?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Glennster

Could the wrong oil do this?
« on: March 21, 2010 - 05:22:35 PM »
 My builder say I ran the wrong oil and that's why I toasted my rod bearings. Can that be true?  I removed the oil that came in the motor after 10 - 20 miles. Then after another 20 miles or so, I changed it because I had to remove the oil pan. Then,  I went to the 10w30 that was in it when it went south. That oil had maybe 30-40 max...
 This sounds like BS, but you guys know better than me.....

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
Re: Could the wrong oil do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010 - 05:33:43 PM »
I don't think so...

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010 - 05:38:10 PM »
That's a crock.  That bearing spun because the crush or clearance wasn't correct, or it was starved of oil.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:05:20 PM »
with all of the score lines running laterally on the bearing surface, it definitely had foreign material running through the engine.  Looks like a dirty assembly job to me. :2cents:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline ireland383

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:14:08 PM »
I second the crock notion. No way!
1971 Plymouth Barracuda

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:24:08 PM »
I would take the bearings to other builders for input of what could of caused the failure.It seems like your builder is not going to take any of the blame.What was the warranty he gave you?

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:31:41 PM »
I don't recall from your previous posts; were you running flat tappets for the camshaft?  Courtesy of the enviro-gestapo at the EPA, current motor oils no longer have adequate high-pressure friction additives (Zinc something? ZDDP?  It was a big story here and on  other boards a couple of years ago) for proper break-in of flat tappet cam engines.  If your cam or lifters show a lot of bad wear or damage, that might have been the source of crap getting into the bearings.

Check your oil filter(s) too to make sure they didn't fail internally.  They probably couldn't be the source of the debris but they might have let it through, and there are some very poorly built filters out there in the wild.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:55:31 PM »
if the cam failed & ate the cam up the damaged brgs could be from that but the filter should still have caught most of it
as for the oil not protecting the brgs no way unless you used a cutting/ machining oil in the engine

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010 - 08:30:56 PM »
I would pull the other rod caps and check the clearances on the other bearings, they are stamped who there from and the size, run a pipe cleaner through the crank oil holes and see what you get. Oil would not create that kinda failure.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010 - 08:37:38 PM »
10 w 30 did not kill your bearings on the crankshaft. Your engine was broke in also.

Offline 1970-cuda340

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:35:03 PM »
Kinda looks like someone put oversize bearings on a standard crank  :clueless:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:38:48 PM »
i tried to reply glenn, but your pm box was full..... The reply was on every mopar performance crank I have ever bought.  They have to be worked on before installing them. Never had an out the box install crank yet

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010 - 10:50:05 PM »
Kinda looks like someone put oversize bearings on a standard crank  :clueless:
yea  :iagree: or say the crank was turned 30 over and you used 20 over bearings,,the bearings should be stamped for size,,compare that to what the crank is,,was it standard or was it turned,,,you need to mic it,,compare that to bearing size,,no way the oil caused it unless you didn't have any in it,,your engine  re builder is full of bs,,maybe it was an honest mistake somewhere but that line of bs is just wrong,,the bearings will be stamped std for standard size or marked with numbers if it was turned to size,like.020 for example,,hold your ground on this,,everybody changes oil quickly on a rebuild,,just because you pulled the pan wouldn't make a difference unless you put metal shavings in it yourself,,,don't think you did that,,maybe happened quicker as you changed the oil,,but the problem was already there
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010 - 12:12:27 PM »
Yeah.. the OIL was wrong... Next time don't by the kind with PULP.   :faint:

It's hard to tell if the oil's protection was enough with all that debris in the oil system. What oil did you take out? What oil did you put in? What oil fiilters were used?

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010 - 08:50:48 PM »
My builder say I ran the wrong oil and that's why I toasted my rod bearings.
 This sounds like BS, but you guys know better than me.....
That is pure BS.  You need a competent engine builder.  You probably live too far from me or I'd jump in and help.  I'm in the rocky mtns.
To start with, connecting rod big ends need checked for out of round, and may need resized.  Crank journals need diameters checked, maybe polished will fix them.  Entire engine block needs disassembled and cleaned spotless .... I guess cam is toast, and lifters probably too with all the metal in the oil... and go from there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 - 08:56:48 PM by femtnmax »
Phil