Author Topic: Could the wrong oil do this?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline vinb

• Resident
Re: Could the wrong oil do this?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010 - 08:53:48 PM »
Looks like a clearance problem to me....

Oil not the problem..

(measure-measure-measure) all your clearances....

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010 - 09:18:36 PM »
 :iagree:  For a motor to burn up in 40 miles like that, oil is NOT the problem unless there was none in it.  The bearings would look better than those if you accidentally ran vegetable oil in it.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010 - 09:28:35 PM »
   The motor is now in the hands of Norm at Ultra Tech Racing engines. He seems to be a real good guy, he certainly knows his stuff. He pulled the motor apart, but got side tracked as he was about to pull the rods and crank. He says the cam and lifters looked OK. The one piston that was out was slightly scratched, he said it could be coated (teflon?? I'm not sure) and would be OK. They are Ross pistons, I'm glad they're OK.
  He thinks it should be no problem to save the crank. The rods are not a sure thing yet. He says the 273 rods are a bit slim on the top half. He says this is not a problem under hard exceleration, but for real hard decelaration, he would prefer a stronger rod. If I were racing on a road course, I'd be worried, who knows, maybe better rods would be the way to go....

When I told Norm that the original builder said I used oil that was too thin, 10w30 instead of 20w50, he chucked....He said the heavier oil would have created the same problem, only sooner, because the engine was built too tight. Norm will confirm this after the crank is out, but it looked like that was the problem judging from what he'd seen thus far.......

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010 - 05:00:52 AM »
Glad it is in good hands.  It sounds like you are going to be back on the road in no time with a killer motor!

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010 - 03:59:27 PM »
SO  the orginal builder  is doing nothing?
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t