71 Challenger Questions

Author Topic: 71 Challenger Questions  (Read 545 times)

Offline Jimmycuda

• I'm a llama!
71 Challenger Questions
« on: September 29, 2004 - 08:23:48 PM »
  Gotta few questions about my 71 Challenger.  As some of you might know, its a JH plain Challenger with some nice options, but I have 3 questions I would like to be answered, if possible. (I have no build sheets)

1  My car has the N41 on the fender tag which is dual exhaust without tips.  I was told this was a California "delete" code, which in the state of California, no cars were allowed to be sold with valences with exhaust tips because a car without tips was known to be more quiet, thereby combatting noise pollution.  Also, I was yold this is rare to have this code. 

2  Would it be safe to say then my car might have been sold new in California?  (I purchased it from the 3 rd owner, who was located in Washington State, not too far from California)

3  The car has a Tuff Wheel.  I think I posted this before, but now I'm finding conflicting reports that Tuff Wheels were offered in 71 Challys, and then Ive heard they were not.  Does anyone know?  If they weren't I think it might be safe to assume it had a 3 spoke wheel in it.( Build sheets would've helped on this one!) 

4 MY build date is 827 on the fender tag, Aug 27th.  I want to know the year, but someone repainted the car and painted over the door tag.  I'm wondering if its an early 71 car, built in Aug 27th, 1970, or a late 71, built in Aug 27th, 1971???  My VIN build # is 119211   

Thanks for any replies as always!!
    Jimmy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 71 Challenger Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004 - 12:53:02 AM »
 Hey Jim
1] the n41 code is just dual exhaust , it woul dhave the N95 code for california
 2]Hard to tell where it was sold
3]my 71 parts book shows the Tuff wheel , but no application for it in any E body
4] the new build year starts around Aug 1st so your car is a very early Aug 70 built car   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004 - 09:51:36 AM »
 Waht is the original motor ?   Was it a factory 4 bbl car ?  Maybe it is a misprint if it was a 318 or 383 2bbl originally.
 It wasn't that the tips made the exhaust louder, it is that Califonia was mandating a down-turned exhaust at that point, and thinking the exhaust pointing down at the end would quiet them.
  This I don't think they kept on the books long, because my 73 GTX which was a CA car, came originally with mufflers, hemi resonators, and the "machine gun" exhaust tips.  And it shows this as a california only exhaust for 440 4bbl cars per the factory service manual..  So maybe Chrysler decided they could get around the downturned exhaust by adding the resonators, who knows ?
  I'd think the wide chrome front end molding is more rare than CA car...
Perhaps if your car was a 4bbl originally, the owner ordered it without the Valance with cutouts + tips, so as to keep it more low-profile/ sleeper ?!?
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Jimmycuda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004 - 02:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Yeah, I thought of the N95 after I posted! duh!  The car is an N code, E65 engine (383 4bbl)  I guess the original owner wanted a sleeper, the N41 was ordered, and the hood is a flat hood.  No J54 on tag anyway.  From my reading two restoration books, they have both said that even if you got a base Challenger, if you ordered an engine with a 4bbl, you got the J54 hood.  This one was deleted, I guess, although the person ordered alot of molding trim, and other goodies.  As for the Tuff wheel, the car probably had a 3 spoke wheel on it. Early built car, I might go with steel wheels, and match the color to the body then.  The rallyes arent orig, theyre from a 70 Mopar.  Well, thanks again!