Author Topic: Lots of smoke  (Read 731 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Lots of smoke
« on: March 22, 2010 - 08:01:36 PM »
I got my car running pretty good.  I added a can of Restore treatment on the advice of a mechanic friend because the engine has some miles on it and was burning some oil. 

The car smokes on startup, which is my valves I am sure.  However suddenly it is blowing a cloud of smoke on acceleration.  It did not used to do this.  Recently I had water in my gas and the theory is I washed the oil out of the cylinders and toasted my rings.   My mechanic friend suggested I am suckng oil in through the pcv valve.  I am going to check that tomorrow. 

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this sudden oil smoke.

One more idea I had was there could be oil built up in my mufflers.  Also I blew quite a bit of water out of them when I had the car nose up on an incline and I revved the motor.    I assume that came from running water in my gas as the coolant level is full and the car runs cool. 

Offline femtnmax

Re: Lots of smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010 - 08:36:50 PM »
As a former dealership ASE certified mechanic, I do NOT believe in any of these engine restore treatments.  They are bandaids at best, but do not fix the real problems which are usually leaky valve seals, worn piston rings or loose valve guides...IE the engine needs refreshed.
Do a cylinder leak down test on all cylinders.
Here is an example of what to do:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/index.html
Phil

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010 - 08:57:51 PM »
did it smoke before the Restore was poured in?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010 - 01:58:25 AM »
it can take some time to burn off residue in the exhaust , you have to run it hard or for a while to get the heat all the way to the back & burn off any oil or moisture inside the exhaust

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010 - 03:33:19 AM »
Those additives go against everything I believe in, which is do it right.  However my mechanic friend told me it might get me soe more time until I had the money for a new engine. 

It didn't smoke at all before the restore, however I do not think that has anything to do with it. 

If this motor comes out it's not going back in.  With the end of the crank ground up, the fact it's a 318 with 150,000 miles, broken off valve cover bolt, I do not think it's worthwhile to put it back in or spend another dime on it. 

In the meantime I will go a leakdown test and see what happens.  My buddy has the tools to replace the valve guide seals so I may do that as well.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010 - 04:16:20 AM »
If you don't want to spend any more money on it then don't go looking for reasons.

Now you've got it running, and you said it's running well, then if it was me I would just keep on driving it and keep an eye on the oil level.

If you have to add a bit of fresh oil now and then it will save you having to do any oil changes  :icon16:
'72 'cuda