Author Topic: How do I stop the rust inside my trunk lid??  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Challenga

• All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy......
How do I stop the rust inside my trunk lid??
« on: March 23, 2010 - 08:09:23 PM »
I was just working on my trunk lid and I have it sanded and ready to go, but I looked up inside of my trunk lid and I saw rust that I can't get to. (I'm talking about on the bottom side between the structural panel on the inside and the skin).  There is surface rust on the back side of the trunk skin.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this under control?  The trunk is in perfect shape.  No dents and no filler, so I am not planning on taking the skin off.  I was thinking about thinning out some POR15 and pouring it in one of the holes and sloshing it around to coat everything.  That's about all I can think of.  Maybe some rust encapsulator then some epoxy primer?  Anybody have any ideas?? 

FYI - It is only thick surface rust.  It hasn't come through anywhere on the trunk lid.  I am just worried about the seams around the edges.  I have seen plenty of trunk lids that have rusted out round where the seam is at the edges.  That is why I want to stop it
1970 - Challenger A66 - Go-man-go!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Re: How do I stop the rust inside my trunk lid??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010 - 09:47:18 PM »
alkaline dip and E-coat, it may cost around $200,but well worth it, don't mistake it for acid dipping
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Challenga

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010 - 10:10:57 PM »
Damn....I was hoping to find a home remedy without dishing out big bucks. 

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010 - 10:16:44 PM »
Damn....I was hoping to find a home remedy without dishing out big bucks.

You can.

Buy a gallon of Evapo Rust for like 20 bucks. Pour it in and get creative on a way to keep it from flowing out. Then after, Ospho or Picklex thru a spray bottle. then epoxy primer.

alkaline dip and E-coat, it may cost around $200,but well worth it, don't mistake it for acid dipping

It doesn't make sense for him to spend 200 bucks for a dip on just one part when new deck lids cost 2-300 bucks new.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010 - 12:37:54 AM »
Any good paint over rust paint will work like POR15 or rust bullet.  I did this over 10 years ago with a quart of Rustoleum in my used trunk lid. It is still on my car now.  If you really want to get the rust out from the inside. Look up rust removal on google  with a battery charger and washing soda.

1 Tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water. (available at Walmart for less than $3.00)
 Enough gallons to cover the part in a plastic container.
Piece of junk, clean, sacraficial metal to use as a conductor.
A battery charger. Negative hooked to your part, positive hooked to the junk metal. (could use a battery)
Bubbling action starts and the next day all your rust is gone. (a little longer for extra rusty parts)
ONLY THE RUST COMES OFF.   IF YOU HOOK THE + TO YOUR PART, INSTEAD OF -, IT WILL PIT AND BUBBLE INSTEAD OF THE SACRIFICIAL PIECE!   The Nasty water and washing soda is safe to now dump into the yard or storm drain.  Then you can pour your etch primer right over clean metal instead of rusty.

It really works. I'm still looking for a tub big enough to hold my fender. A trunk lid would be easy to build a box for and line with plastic.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Challenga

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010 - 12:44:28 AM »
 :iagree:I got a plan though.......I am going to epoxy prime the outside, fill the crimped seams around the outside, plug the holes in the lid and fill it up with evaporust.  Then after a day or so I will rinse it out and fill it with metal ready, then pour in some thinned POR15 after it all dries completely.  That will be my process.  I'll let you guys know how much of a pain in the butt it is. 

Topcat I like your plan on the evaporust pumping.  I saw it on another thread when you suggested it for the bottom of a car.  I think I need to figure out a plan for pumping that evaporust through my doors.  The are just like my trunk lid.  They're great on the outside, but inside the door cavity they are pretty rusted.  I'd like to set up some kind of big solvent tank to get rid of the rust.

ShelbyDogg - I think I will try your idea on some small parts first and it if works that is awesome!!

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010 - 03:46:34 AM »
The best way to get rid of rust is to sand blast the part in question then use one step to seal it then you can go to primer.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010 - 04:22:08 AM »
you should try what shelbydogg refered to on some stuff, works great and actualy converts alot of rust. i did a full set of old steel wheels and the came out great

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010 - 08:52:01 AM »
The best way to get rid of rust is to sand blast the part in question then use one step to seal it then you can go to primer.

michele

did you even bother to read OP's whole post?there is no access for  blasting
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Eastwood Company

• Sponsor
    • Eastwood Company
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010 - 09:28:26 AM »
I've had good luck with our rust converter followed by our encapsulator in a similar situation on underhood braces. Might be a cheap/alternative if you can't blast first?

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment/eastwood-rust-converter.html?srccode=Cuda

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment/rust-encapsulator-1.html?srccode=Cuda

Please add our Facebook for the most current happenings here at Eastwood!
http://www.facebook.com/eastwoodcompany

Follow our blog for interesting restoration stories and DIY articles!
http://blog.eastwood.com/

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010 - 09:51:23 AM »
That Eastwood rust converter is kind of pricey at $99 a gallon.  Osopho, the stuff some of the guys are using here I priced at Ace hardware for $22 a gallon.  Has anyone done a comparison of the 2 chemicals in action? It all seems to be rust converter that can be painted over when dried.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010 - 10:39:48 AM »
All the rust converters I've tried were only effective after the metal was wire brushed or otherwise cleaned up a little... ANY oil, wax, silicon or other residue renders them ineffective.

Rob I like the Soda & charger Idea... For your fender just build a bigger box.  :thumbsup:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010 - 10:57:23 AM »
Rob I like the Soda & charger Idea... For your fender just build a bigger box.

Wade, I brought a bunch of oak pallets home once, Thinking that I was going to build a box around my fender, then line it with plastic. After 2 sides, I decided that if this thing would "blow"  gallons of water would wipe out my garage, my stuff, and possibly my house.  I though that I should just find something like a kiddie pool or something made for water. Maybe even a large trash can.  I took the pallets and had a bonfire.
Rob

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010 - 11:11:14 PM »
Rob, as I have said before, you are Mr. Wizard.  Great idea with the soda/battery charger.  :thinkerg:

And Rob, it'll give you an excuse to get that Ninja Turtle pool you've always wanted!  :naughty:  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Challenga

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010 - 11:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm trying not to spend any money, but keep working on my car.  I just lost my job and I have lots of stuff in the garage to work with, but I don't want to buy anything new.  I am working on my car for about 10 hours a day to keep  occupied while I wait to hear back from some companies that have my resume.  At least I finally have time to work on my car!!   :working: