Author Topic: external thread locker?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
external thread locker?
« on: March 25, 2010 - 08:16:25 AM »
Hey, do you guys have any tips/tricks for keeping a fitting tight...ie locking it?

I took the fish out yesterday and found that one of the brake fittings at the new prop valve had back out a bit and caused a small leak......its a brass fitting that threads into the prop valve and then the brake line screws into that.....its the prop valve side of the combo that loosened.

I am thinking that the bracket I made may be allowing the whole assembly to vibrate a bit and that's what caused it or maybe it was just not tight enough to start with though I am sure I tightened them well.

I was thinking maybe a drop or two of super glue or clear nail polish to lock the threads externally? A buddy said he uses "goop" to help lock external threads and it works great....

Could be that this last tightening could be "it"....will check it again soon....but would like to put something on there to help lock the threads.....

Offline Supercuda

Re: external thread locker?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010 - 08:58:08 AM »
They already make several great threadlocking compounds. Loctite blue is probably the thing to use; it allows disassembly without breaking things. If the prop valve is in a hot spot, then I would recommend the green compound. It is also now available in a gel, or as a "gluestick" applicator (best idea yet!), which makes for a lot less mess. I am not a big fan of using actual glues, as they might be exposed to chemicals that will react unfavorably with them.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010 - 09:51:54 AM »
I usually use thread lockers on stuff.....

But in this case, the threads had that teflon tape on them (from the manufacturer).....

I am looking for something that I can put on there WITHOUT disassembling......not sure thread locker would work??????  There are threads exposed but would it find its way in?

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010 - 01:46:52 PM »
Never heard of a pipe thread backing out.  Tighten it up and it should be fine.  Of course you will have to loosen the brake line first.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010 - 10:49:21 PM »
Yeah thats what I did.....could have SWORN it was tight.....but hey, I have done dumber things.

Thing is, there were no leaks before...it it were loose before it should have leaked.

Guess we'll see.   :violin:  Just have to remember to keep checking it OFTEN.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010 - 09:16:50 AM »
Teflon is a great lubricant. It was tight enough not to leak, but not tight enough to resist backing off after exposed to vibration. Check it closely for a little while, and ignore it after it is trouble-free for a while.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010 - 02:28:25 PM »
I agree, you may have just overlooked tightening the fitting. Never heard of a pipe fitting coming loose. But just FYI, green loctite is made to be put on after fittings have been tightened up. I use it on tyhe screws on my bow sights and never had a problem with screws loosening up.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Blue Stone

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010 - 08:25:59 PM »

I use Loc Tite and Never Seize a lot but never on brake lines  , I think it might have been a tad loose just tighten it up and should be good to go  :burnout:.....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010 - 12:59:54 AM »
I agree, you may have just overlooked tightening the fitting. Never heard of a pipe fitting coming loose. But just FYI, green loctite is made to be put on after fittings have been tightened up. I use it on tyhe screws on my bow sights and never had a problem with screws loosening up.

Awesome!  I think my plan will be to watch this for now.....if it backs off again I will get the green stuff....can I assume thats easy to find?  I have seen blue and red...dont recall green.

I may pick some up anyways....seems like a good thing to have on hand "just in case".

I guess its possible I didnt tighten up the fittings enough, but they sure seemed tight when I did them the first time..... :dunno:

Thanks for the feedback guys!