Author Topic: Wavy washers for window guides  (Read 703 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Wavy washers for window guides
« on: March 25, 2010 - 11:10:44 AM »
I wasnt sure what the right section would be for this question..."body" made the most sense.

It is regarding the plastic window guides that the front windows have on them. More specifically, the hardware used to hold the guides on.

I am looking for a couple of the wavy washers (I was told in chat last night that they are thrust washers)....

Is there something I can substitute for them?  I am sure these will be impossible to find at the local hardware stores.....the washers I am yammering about appear below...

Offline Slotts

Re: Wavy washers for window guides
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010 - 11:27:17 AM »
You are on the right trail. They are called wave spring washers.

Here's a link to try: http://www.internationalsprings.com/wave_spring_washers.htm

Not sure if they sell them individually.

Slotts

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010 - 12:38:27 PM »
Cool.  Thanks!

If they make them and they seem to be not a big uncommon sort of thing, maybe I will luck out at the hardware store....we have a couple stores locally that carry a bit of everything....crossing my fingers.

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010 - 08:11:52 PM »
Shadango,

You might give RT Specialties a call......he usually has this kind of stuff.  Ask for Tom.........570-388-1082.

T1971Chally
Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010 - 10:47:28 PM »
I ended up going to the hardware store.

I kept thinking "why would ma mopar have put TWO wave washers in one hole".......I then surmised that someone before me had pulled this apart perhaps to replace broken glass and then mistakingly used two in one and none in the other spot.

I got some correctly sized (thin) steel washers, rubber washers and felt washers...all were found in the "lamp parts" section of the hardware store.

Turns out the felt washers work perfect far as I can tell....one each, paired with one wave washer.

I put the window back in and got everything working.

The frustrating part is that I still have issues with the front window...when it is being rolled up with the door closed, it wants to travel BEHIND the (new) quarter window molding.

I decided to wait til I get new weatherstrip molding for the door and then address...I think perhaps my REAR window is out of adjustment as it has slop etc.

decided to let that go til another day....LOL

Probably wont be long....its realliy annoying to have to roll the rear window down some first, roll the front up and then roll up the rear.      :pullinghair:  This only started after I replaced the whiskers and quarter window moldings.....

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010 - 09:11:21 AM »
If you didn't pull it apart the rear windows, you probably don't know that there is another nylon piece that goes on the other side of the track. You have to look at a working rear window to see what you're missing.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010 - 12:33:36 PM »
I have only had the front window apart and that is where I replaced the parts this time around.

Never thought aout the rear window till my efforts on the  front were futile...LOL

Thanks for the heads up...I hear that rear windows a even a bigger PITA than fronts?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010 - 12:58:51 PM »
I have only had the front window apart and that is where I replaced the parts this time around.

Never thought aout the rear window till my efforts on the  front were futile...LOL

Thanks for the heads up...I hear that rear windows a even a bigger PITA than fronts?

Rear windows are easier if you have all of the parts. Fronts aren't too bad. You just have to learn what the window does as you move the tracks back and forth and side to side.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0