Author Topic: is this package tray saveable?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
is this package tray saveable?
« on: March 26, 2010 - 03:02:36 PM »
Today I got a new fuel tank and package tray with insulation. However it was my wife receiving package and she didnt notice the lage box was bent... you got the idea - the package tray is broken. I'm really pissed off as shipping costed twice as much as the tray and now it's useless. I have old PT but it has no speaker grille. This one has but has a major crack.
Any idea on how to help it? I thought about reinforcing it underneath with a sort of long metal tabs (they will be hidden in the jute padding) and working the crack with dremel, then fill with epoxym sand and paint the whole shelf with some texture paint. But  it will crack due to stress reapdly I guess  :blah:
The seller (from ebay) is an i**** as the box was flat and had no reinforcements at all...
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: is this package tray saveable?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010 - 03:18:31 PM »
That sucks...

I wouldn't use it. :2cents:

I'm planning on picking up alot of the big stuff like that this year at the Nats.  I can save shipping costs and shipping mistakes like that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010 - 04:12:06 PM by burdar »

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010 - 03:43:23 PM »
If it was sent by ups you are insured for 100.00.

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010 - 05:02:14 PM »
Looks very familiar...
I bought a package tray with speaker grilles from Yearone. The FLAT box had a bend in it and Yes the shelf was cracked in exactly the same place as yours. Emailed Yearone. "No problem, we will send you a new one." A new FLAT box arrived. It had a bend in it and YES, but this time it was completely off. In the same place! Emailed Yearone. "No problem, we will send you a new one." The boxes even had extra reinforcements.
A new FLAT box arrived and NO, this time it was OK. Could hardly believe it!
Yearone came through and compensated me for all extra cost.
Are there some gremlins cracking the package trays in that spot? ???

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:09:21 PM »
I cantclaim any insurace a wife signed the receipt papers as OK.
I'm located in E so travelling to Nats just to buy a package tray is well... generous :)

I think this part has to be trashed anyway. I'm curious about the seller's answer as improper packaging is an obvious cause of this damage.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Slotts

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:29:07 PM »
If the seller doesn't respond, there is this Ebay protection that they seem to have in place now.

http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html

Hope you get a positive resolution on this.  :2thumbs:

Slotts

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:35:51 PM »
I have to ask you if you want the stock appearance or not? If that isn't an issue, your idea of re-enforcing the back, and using textured paint on top sounds promising for hiding the crack. I don't see why it would crack again from stress. Are you using the stock rear speakers? I went after-market and mounted mine on top of the package tray. These seat covers are long gone before you give me crap about them.   :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010 - 08:21:59 AM »
I'm for stock apperance and the speakers are hidden under the package tray in my car.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010 - 08:33:27 AM »
I was thinking of cutting a piece of sheet aluminum or fiberboard in the size of the tray and oval holes for the speakers. Then glue on a cracked tray. Glue the crack with glue for wood. Fill and sand the crack. Then paint black.
It will of course be a bit thicker. Maybe problems with the rear side panels?

Offline duodec

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010 - 09:18:55 PM »
Mine was trashed by a previous owner hacking speakers in.  I made a new one out of a sheet of masonite/hardboard.  Although I did surface mount speakers also, I wonder how hard it would be to cut your own grille slots into masonite if you have a router, since you have the broken one to use as a template.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010 - 12:57:31 PM »
Mine was trashed by a previous owner hacking speakers in.  I made a new one out of a sheet of masonite/hardboard.  Although I did surface mount speakers also, I wonder how hard it would be to cut your own grille slots into masonite if you have a router, since you have the broken one to use as a template.

I did the same thing (made one out of hardboard).  Easy to do if you have the old one as a template...

I would think that with a jig of some sort and a router or dremel you could make those slots.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010 - 01:12:40 PM »
I did the same thing (made one out of hardboard).  Easy to do if you have the old one as a template...

I would think that with a jig of some sort and a router or dremel you could make those slots.

you could have them laser-cut.  not sure about hardboard, but mdf will work for sure
*** Bart ***

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010 - 03:40:34 AM »
I'll take it o a "wood shop" (don't know the proper name for sucha facility - carpenter's?) and ask if they can make a hardboard "copy".
1970 383 R/T SE