Author Topic: Three on the tree  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Blue Stone

Three on the tree
« on: March 26, 2010 - 03:36:51 PM »

Whose got a three on the tree, whats your motor and rear axle????????   I have never seen an E body three on the tree but I guess they made em , back in the day I hated three on the tree (every one I knew dumped it for a floor shift) but its such an oddity that it might have an appeal now..... anyone???

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Three on the tree
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010 - 03:54:23 PM »
three was on the floor with /6, never heard of a 3 on the tree e body
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline kissalien

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010 - 04:53:00 PM »
All manual transmission E-bodies were floor shift.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:09:14 PM »
there are still column shifters out there though a lot of them have probably been converted over the years. I think anything that came with a bench seat may have come that way. Makes sense to me anyway :dunno:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:24:01 PM »
Column shift e-bodies were all automatics.

Offline RB2929

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010 - 06:33:06 PM »
Alaskan TA-
I've only seen one B'Cuda with the shifter on the sterring wheel.  Yes, an automatic, and Yes, with bench seats (they kind of looked like bench setas, though).  It was a 1970 model

Going back to your statement, all were automatics.  Does that mean having the shifter on the floor was a option?

With so many E-bodies selecting floor mounted shifters, you would think Chrysler would have made it mandatory.  Or, maybe they did after 1970(?).

Any thoughts?

Yes, this is very trvial.  But, then again, may be the $1M answer on a quiz show.
Thanks
Ron

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010 - 07:01:50 PM »
The three speed manual on the floor was standard, anything else was an option. (it depends on the car some, no 3-speed with engines larger than a 383)

Read the green column here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Challenger0005.jpg

Bench seats were an extra cost option only available with column shift automatics.

Offline Blue Stone

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010 - 08:15:27 PM »
  I guess I miss understood to me three on the tree is a manual transmission at least it was back in the 70's where I was living, but now I get it 3 speed column with reverse valve body......

I read this post on the form it was described as three on the tree..........

As for engine it was originally a 318 and is a manual on the column. The prior owners put a 383 big block in it which is what's currently under the hood. My goals are to get it down to the metal and get any bodywork done. Get it painted, install the wiring, etc. The interior appears to be original and everything but the dash is in great shape. The dash is in ok shape but has a few cracks so I'll be getting a new dash pad cover. I'm also planning on getting a tilt steering column as well as a custom dash insert and gauges. I also want to change it from column to floor shifter and install a replica floor center console. Those are the plans so far! Thanks for the feedback!

Offline RB2929

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010 - 08:30:51 PM »
Alaskan TA-
Thank you for the info.  I still think it's kind of weird that someone would order a sports car with the shifter on the column.  They were probably used to having it there.

It is cute to see the old option sheets and see automatics, along with A/C, power windows, FM radio, etc, as options.

Thanks again,
Ron

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010 - 09:23:14 PM »
To me a sports car is a two seater like an AC Cobra or Viper.

Just as one column shift example - I know of 11 1970 Hemi Cuda hardtops with it so far.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010 - 09:30:11 PM »
yep....seen hemi cudas with column shifters too. Seems odd to me now. Just like it seems wierd nowadays to think someone would have ordered a bench seat as optional.

I think a sports car is technically a 2 seat convertible, at least thats what they are to a purist.
And three on the tree, like 4 on the floor, I think was just a saying for describing the shifter, auto or stick. At least thats what I always thought :dunno:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010 - 09:36:32 PM »
7 of the 11 I know of have bench seats, the other 4 have buckets.

That tells me at least four people wanted the automatic without the cheesy console.   :bigsmile:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010 - 11:12:24 PM »
My '70 Challenger 318 & 904 was column shift with bench seat originally but had been converted to a slapstick, consul & buckets before I bought it, fortunately the column was change out also.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010 - 11:23:08 PM »
Here's a pic of a 70 Challenger TA that had the column shift!
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010 - 04:07:24 AM »
my 71 barracuda was originally a bench seat column shift 904 with it's 318. it is also supposed to be EV2 with a black vinyl top luggage rack with hood pins and a black gut. how odd is that?
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)