Author Topic: Mig welder and air compressor  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Mike70

• Future Challenger Pilot
Mig welder and air compressor
« on: March 27, 2010 - 12:34:10 AM »
I am looking at a northern tools unit. 120 volt, 125 amp mig. Anyone know anything good or bad about these? I know I should get a Lincoln or similar, but budget dollars have to stretch.

Also, my old compressor crapped out, so I am looking at a Kobalt from Lowes, I think 11.5 CFM at 9 psi. I had my heart set on an IR ( over 18 cfm at 90 psi) but budget won out there too.

Please chime in if you have comments about either of these, or any alternatives.

Thanks, Mike
Mike
70 Challenger RT/SE
(If I ever get it done - wait, I guess I have to start first).

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Mig welder and air compressor
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010 - 08:47:29 AM »
Hummm I hear ya on the budget thing. My Grandfather had a great saying reguarding tools that stuck...
"I'f you can't afford the best....then wait till you can"
I have a lincoln , had it for over 15 years, it's done a ton of welding, paid for itself 10x over, never had a single problem with it, ever. If I do, I can get parts for it, unlike offshore stuff.
With an air compressor I'd look for cast iron not aluminum  in the compressor. At least 5hp , Buy one that if/when you add tools it will be able to supply them.
Just my  :2cents:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Jimmy

• THE Challenge(r)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010 - 10:39:19 AM »
I got a Hobart Mig welder and an IR compressor from Tractor Supply. Wait for their sales. They usually have better prices than Lowes / Home Depot. I didn't want to skimp on these for Harbor Freight / Northern Tools chinese cheapies. Some things I did skimp on, but these I wanted to last, so I waited until a sale came along and I could afford them.
1973 Challenger w/440
1967 Camaro RS w/502
1967 Mustang w/302
1965 Ford F100 w/429

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010 - 11:10:30 AM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010 - 11:25:53 AM »
I agree, I'd stick with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. Something not oversea's that you can get parts for if needed.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Mike70

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010 - 11:58:04 AM »
Thanks. I guess I'll be waiting a little more then. Just don't have the money for $1600 worth of compressor and welder.

Brad, I agree with your grandfather. But sometimes, life gets in the way.

Mike
Mike
70 Challenger RT/SE

Offline Blue Stone

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010 - 08:30:18 PM »

I heard Miller and Hobart are one in the same,,,,,,,,,  I am saving my nickles and dimes for a Miller 140 Auto set 720 dollars,,,, those Chinese units have a short run on any given model however the Miller units will serviceable for a long time...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010 - 01:06:10 AM »
Keep your eyes open at Lowes and Home Depot for the inventory clearance sales and things like that...I picked up an open box Lincoln weleder a couple years ago for probably half of what it orig. sold for....it was missing the gauges for the gas side, but the welder was brand new otherwise. 

I have a buddy who bought a Harb. Freight welder and he had initial issues with it...the wire feed was messed up.

Now that he has had it for a while he likes it but I am convinced that I did right by waiting...as soon as I saw the lincoln on sale I jumped on it.

I am still learning how to weld good, so having a decent unit at least rules out the equipment as a factor.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010 - 07:03:07 AM »
My experience is a mixed bad on these.  Had an off brand mig for a while.  It's not that it broke often, it was very difficult to get a good weld.  Got a Lincoln, it's as easy as squirting out tooth paste.

But my off brand compressor has been trouble free for 20+ years.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010 - 10:29:50 PM »
Where are you?  Something like this would leave a lot more room for a good welder in the budget
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/605034-60_gallon_belt_drive_compressor.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3dcompressor%26m%3dP%26c%3dAll%2bProducts%252f%252f%252f%252fUserSearch1%253dcompressor%26p%3d2
man thats a good deal im looking at 700 for a 60 gallon and thats the cheapest i found

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010 - 10:49:20 PM »
man thats a good deal im looking at 700 for a 60 gallon and thats the cheapest i found

An option if you have some time and find a 60-80 gal used compressor tank. Upgrade the pump and motor. Just weld a bigger plate and mount the new systems in. the motor needs to match the pumps requirements. 

It's something I have been thinking of doing. The seals are leaking on mine. 
Stay away from reed valve systems.  :2cents: They work but not nearly as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EATON-COMPRESSOR-13-CFM-CAST-IRON-AIR-COMPRESSOR-PUMP_W0QQitemZ130377351765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5b188255   :2thumbs:

ACE hardware sells pulleys. You would have to research the right ones in dia. w/motor HP for the right RPM for your particular set up desired and recommended.

Eaton makes great pumps and tech support to assist you in all this.

If you went this route, it would mean you would have little or no air CFM/psi loss no matter what air tools are being used. i.e: DA sander. one of the biggest air user tools.
beats waiting around for your compressor to keep catching up all the time.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline DetMatt1

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010 - 07:53:05 AM »
Don't forget the used option, or Craigslist. Some great deals to be had out there. I use tools for a living and my hobby and if I need something I will always search craigslist first. I bought my Miller 140 with easy set NIB on Craigslist with an aluminum spool gun for $700.00, great machine. :clapping:

Offline Mike70

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010 - 10:31:29 AM »
Brooks - Thanks. Not one of those near me in western NC. That's about the same price as the one I was looking at from Lowes. Same CFM too.

Topcat - I thought about that too, but a compressor head and motor with a decent CFM is almost as much as a new compressor. I was gonna use my old tank as extra air storage.

Wife is all PO'ed now because I need to spend some money, so it all may wait.
Mike
70 Challenger RT/SE

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010 - 12:14:56 PM »
yea im in sc,and i bought my weilder at lowes and love it..about the compressor I have a 80 gallon tank setting behind my body shop so im going to grab it and see what i can come up with..