MoPars You Coulda?Shoulda?Woulda! Owned!

Author Topic: MoPars You Coulda?Shoulda?Woulda! Owned!  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Jimmycuda

• I'm a llama!
MoPars You Coulda?Shoulda?Woulda! Owned!
« on: September 30, 2004 - 10:37:59 PM »
I saw NZ440RT's post about how many you own now, but what the one(s) you saw, didn't have the money, or just passed on and regretted it? I know I have a real good one!(Thanks NZ440RT for this idea!)

Offline Jimmycuda

• I'm a llama!
Re: MoPars You Coulda?Shoulda?Woulda! Owned!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004 - 10:47:16 PM »
In 1986, I passed on a '70 Charger, it was ok, a '70 340 Duster, not in good shape, but man that car was fast!  And here is the best one:  yes, I passed on a 1971 burnt orange 383/727  "Cuda!   The guy was selling it for $1,500  ( I had just bought my 72 Barracuda not long before, for $300 less!)  I put my car up for sale , but didn't get to sell it in time.  I did not have the extra money, he even lowered the price to $800!  In the meantime, he got into an accident with it, pulled the motor and trans, and , yes, junked the car!  Granted, it wasn't in perfect condition, but he said it wasn't worth fixing from the accident.  It had some pretty good damage to the back of the car, and in 1986, a 71 Cuda was just another old "hot rod"!!!  God, if we only knew!  Kinda like those old comic books that people used to throw out many years ago, who knew!  I remember seeing AAR's in the Want Ads for like 8 grand!  well, thats my near miss!

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004 - 10:54:26 PM »
Couple years ago dad found a chally with a 383 4spd i think maybe auto oh well don't matter anyways the guy priced it to him for 3000 in pieces..dad passed it up come to find out he sold it for 1500...Found a 72 chally at an auction complete..dont' ermember what engine..sold for 200 bucks dad passed it up becasue he was wanting a 70\71i abotu beat him senseless i told him i dont' care if you want a 70 71 get a freaking 72 or 3. but he wont' do it...and it made me mad...but anyways back to the storys..i found a plum purple 440 auto no rust int. needed work sold for 3000 bucks 70 dad wouldn't buy it because it wasn't numbers matching and needed int. work and the engine would of needed rebuilt...COULD OF SLAPPED HIM AGAIN..70 duster had new quarters new seats 340 4spd car for 1000 bucks this was abotu 3 years ago..dad wouldn't buy it for me because he didn't want a duster and wouldn't spend the money on me...now come to find out i got a duster and dad wants to put 70 taillights in..can't find a 70 duster...thats all i can think of right off hand...
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Plum6Pak

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004 - 11:08:57 PM »
 :'( The fish that got away.  :'(
I was traveling through Roosevelt Utah about 5 years ago and saw a 71 'Cuda sitting by the road with a bunch of weeds growing around it, I inquired in the shop right next to the property where it was parked and they said it belonged to this guy that lived down the street. I went and asked him about it and he said he'd take 300.00 for it. There was an original 440 in it missing the heads, ralley wheels, it had all the trim, the seats were there but pretty shot, it was very straight though. Anyway, this guy was hard up for money and he showed me a 392 hemi and another 440 HP that he would throw in for the 300.00. I didn't have enough money there so I drove home and called him back, he now said 800.00 (guess he must have had a change of heart), told him that was okay and to call when I was coming because I couldn't go right then. When I tried to get in touch with him again, you guessed it, no answer. I went back a couple of weeks later and the car was no where to be found. I kick myself every time I think about that car, I could have had the money wired to me and paid him on the spot but didn't think of it at the time. The fish that got away I guess you could call it. It wasn't a scam either, just bad luck for me.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004 - 11:53:27 PM »
Oh this is easy!!  In 1996 I went to the MOPAR NATIONALS and saw an original HEMI cuda for sale and I tell ya. . . it was beautiful!!  (have pics somewhere)  The price??  $45,000!!  This car was as clean as they come!! B-5 blue with black interior and all the goodies!  I'm still kicking myself!!! But at that time of my life, I had too much money spread out on many things and just couldn't pull it together!  Should of got a second mortgage for that one!    :P   :P   :P   :P 

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004 - 12:18:22 AM »

Never, I was a MoPar virgin until my Challenger.

Not a bad find for a "newbie" in New Zealand eh!!  ;D 8)

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004 - 12:21:44 AM »
The guy with the '70 hemicuda that lived around the corner from me wanted $5500 in 1980
(back then it might as well have been a Million for me)

I told my friends that guy is crazy!!! The car was in the paper for several weeks and I never did see
what he sold it for  :P

I should have got a loan >:(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004 - 12:43:16 AM by 360cuda »

Offline ChallengerVert

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004 - 12:31:29 AM »
1983 I passed on an original AAR Cuda for $3000.  It had rust on the rear quarters.   

3 Weeks later I bought a Challenger Convertible with 340 for $2000.  I still own the Challenger Convertible.

1979. My friend passed on an Original 1969 Hemi Charger for $3000 with less than 5000 miles.  Too much $ back then.  Still have the faded Kodak pictures to prove it.
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible 493 6 Pack, 4 Speed
1971 Dodge Demon 408 5 Speed

Plum6Pak

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004 - 06:43:41 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( This thread is so depressing!!! Whaa whaaa, sniff, sniff.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline vert

• Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004 - 07:04:50 AM »
Around 1980 I found a red 68 Dodge in a junkyard in Bristol, VA.  It had Hemi emblems on it and the rear was crunched.  No engine tho.  I asked and was told the engine was sold.  I stopped by and talked to the owner about 4 years ago.  He said all those cars were crushed years ago.  That car was easily fixable, but no one knew then...
71 Barracuda | Hemi idling | Hemi Dyno pull

Offline JHMoparnut

• 74 Chally 440 Auto SOLD :>(
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004 - 09:49:02 AM »
How about having one that I should have kept? Senior year of highschool 1987 my dad bought me a 73 Norm Grand Spaulding (For those not familiar with Norm Grand Spaulding he owned a mopar dealership in Chicago and was well known for modifying all types of mopars at the dealership and then selling them) Challenger for 2800 bucks. 340 auto, numbers matching white exterior. Had the rally hood, rally strobe stripes (black), an added black stripe around the rear wheels, a half vinyl top with black stripe and "port hole" windows in the roof (like the old 55?56? T-birds) rally wheels. 1 of 1 as far as I know. Anyway sold it to a kid who took it to Florida so that I could keep my first and current 74 challenger. Sure would like to find it again. :-[

71bronze

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004 - 11:54:19 AM »
1988 i was in bootcamp. got to talking with this guy about cars.

he told me about this ugly green car sitting in the back of his local used car dealer for years. had a stupid looking black hood with a scoop so big birds could fly in it, and it didn't have any hinges had to lift it off. also had this stupid bee sticker on the back end.

$200.00, yes two HUNDRED.

he didn't buy it because with a motor that big it had to get bad gas mileage. oh, and it was also the stupidest looking motor he ever saw, spark plugs in the middle of the valve covers.

now the really sad part of the story....
after boot camp, asked him to go check it out (didn't tell him what it was, or what it was worth). called me back about a week later. car lot cleaned out all thier old inventory. sent everything they couldn't sell to the CRUSHER. they torched a '69 hemi super bee. i cried. told him to look up a '69 super bee, and see if that was the car. when he found out what it was, and what it was worth he called me back. i think he cried too.

just missed it by about 4 weeks. damn

also still chasing a '70 rt 440 6pak.... for 10 years.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004 - 02:10:13 PM »
True story.. (short)

My brother owned a #'s matching 71 3404-spd Cuda.. sold it in 1987 for a mustang GT.. he sold it for $2500.. frame rails rotted.. from driving in the snow   ::) :-X :-[ ::)

In 1988-89, there was an add in NJ for a 1971 440-6 sno-white convert 4-spd. Add said BB cuda convertible.. needs paint $14,000 firm. My brother looked at the car.. he said the car sat in the guys garage for 10 years. He was the org owner. My brother didn't have that kind of $$ back then.. so he passed. I console him by saying.. that he would've sold that car at a profit as soon as someone offered him 30k or so.. So there's no way he would get the 500k it's probably worth now..

Who would've known?? surely not the guy who sold it..   :P :'(

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004 - 02:52:59 PM »
wel the only mopar that i really kick the **** out of myself over was a 70 superbird, a friend of mine was in the military in GA and he met a guy that has a whole barn full of them, yes i said full of superbirds. he bought them in the early 70's when nobody could get insurance on them and when the gas crunch was going on and nobody wanted the big cars anymore. well what this guy does is drives them as daily drivers til they need a rebuild done on the engine or somthing goes wrong with them and then he gets out the keys to another one. ok, back to my buddy, he came home and told me about a car that he would buy and bring home for me, the 70 superbird 440/4bbl/4spd for 1500 bucks. this was in the early 90s and i didnt have the funds at that time so i passed on it. 10 or 15 years later im STILL KICKIN MY A$$!!!!!!!. SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A LOAN FOR THAT ONE. all the car needed was the drivers bucket seat recovered, the car need a few door dings fixed and painted and needed the 440 rebuilt as it was burning oil. damn now im feeling bad after tellin that story. i am gettin tired of kickin my own a$$ over this so if somone else wants to take over for a while, go ahead!!  lol
70 Barracuda

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004 - 04:08:22 PM »
I once passed up a convertible 71 green a/t cuda with a 383 well equipped for 3 grand! That was back in the eighties. Then I used to own the original snake and mongoose hotwheels when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009 - 10:04:34 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.