Author Topic: Where to find a rebuildable core?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Where to find a rebuildable core?
« on: March 30, 2010 - 08:38:56 PM »
WHere does a guy find a good 340 rebuildable core?  I know they are fairly rare, but I am realizing my 318 is on it's last leg and a new motor is on the horizon.   I have a buddy who can help me build a motor, so I am thinking finding one locally would be a good plan. 

Local junkyards have this sort of thing?  Craigslist? Maybe just putting the word out?

Later this summer when I have a few more jars of pennies saved up I will be seiously looking for one, until then I need to formulate my plan.

I'd like a 340 as it's right for the car, but a 360 would be a helluva lot easier to get ahold of and allot cheaper.  I bet there are a few on CL right now.

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Re: Where to find a rebuildable core?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010 - 09:05:59 PM »
He had a complete engine for sale last week that was ready to go and would have been prefect for my car as it was dated 1970.  I would have bought it but he couldn't meet me for almost a week and by then it was sold.  I asked him if he had a line on anything else but he hasn't gotten back to me.   :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010 - 09:08:54 PM by tonefiend »

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010 - 11:22:30 PM »
I find it funny that just 15 short years ago, you couldn't touch a 440 price with a 340...Now, a 340 will bring twice what a 440 will bring even with a 100 cubic inches less....Crazy...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010 - 03:04:25 AM »
I find it funny that just 15 short years ago, you couldn't touch a 440 price with a 340...Now, a 340 will bring twice what a 440 will bring even with a 100 cubic inches less....Crazy...

That is crazy, and I can find a 440 locally no problem for dirt cheap.   I would drop one in in a heartbeat if It was a simple swap.   I have a 904 trans and the appeal of the 340 is the fact I can just drop it in <I thing>

Which leads me to the question, what would I need to do to put a 440 in my challenger in place of the 318 / 904 tranny?

I have seen 440/727 combos for short money. 

I am a guitar builder by trade, as well as a musican and music fanatic.  It may sound odd but the sound is important to me right behind torque.  I am almost thinking a 440 might be my thing.  What is the difference in sound between a 340 and 440? 

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010 - 03:43:47 AM »
I believe its big block with Big cam is more beefy mechanical sound, but Id like to see what the better experienced members have to say.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010 - 08:48:08 AM »
A big block will make more power more easily than a comparably built small block.

A 360 will make more torque down low than a 340, which is what really get things moving in a hurry. Both will cost the same to rebuild, but 360 cores are cheaper and easier to find.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010 - 08:57:59 AM »
While you may find a 340 in a wrecking yard, the odds are pretty slim. Your best bet is places like craigslist and swap meets.

As far as sound goes here is my Challenger with a mild 340 with open headers.

1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 - 01:02:00 PM »
To swap you need:
Engine, trans, driveshaft shortened, headers/manifolds, big block mount brackets (R&L), bb accessory brackets, radiator(inlet and outlet are positioned wrong for BB), and you'll have to extend the temp sender wire. No major surgury and it drops in place. Upgrades to torsion bars and/or disc brakes in front can be done for a better drive, but are not necessary for a mild cruiser. (my opinion... I drove and raced mine running high 11s with 10" non power drums for years...)

As far as noise... It's up to you. Bigger engine means more air out which means more noise. Tone and decibel level are done with piping design/size and muffler and maybe resonator choice.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010 - 01:31:35 PM »
That 340 sure sounds sweet! 

Hmm.  The BB swap keeps getting more and more expensive.  They sure do fill up the engine bay nicely though! 

I like the idea of having the correct engine in there but a 360 is sounding mighty tempting!  It might be a good engine to drop in for a few years until I have the place, time and money to build the car with a big block, 4 speed and repaint it.

What are the good years for a 360?

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010 - 01:46:27 PM »
Ian, unless you're set on a 340, you'll have a much easier time finding a good 360 to rebuild.  They put a bunch of them in the Ram trucks and vans that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.  That will give you the added advantage of having Magnum heads, so that you can build a decently performing engine without having to go to the extra expense of aluminum heads.  Check around with some of the dismantlers in Escondido or Oceanside.  Here's a link I found to the San Diego Auto Recyclers Association: http://www.sdusedautoparts.com/

The Ecology Auto Parts in Oceanside and Chula Vista is having a 50% off sale on April 10th and 11th.  That would provide you a good opportunity to go have a look around and maybe pick up a good core for cheap.  http://www.ecoparts.com/

Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010 - 01:51:37 PM »
Thanks Greg! The 360 is looking better every minute.   

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010 - 02:22:09 PM »
Ian, here in Canada (especially around Calgary) we go to Pick-A-Part places and can get OD tranny and 360 Magnum FI engines for about $400 including computer. Why not get one of these, build it up, use the computer and FI (until you can get a better FI unit) and put some gears in as you would have an OD unit. Probably looking at 19 or 20mp(us)g and lots of go as the engines come out of heavier trucks and vans. Only problem is the J-Tec computer can only be modified if you get a hold of the right person otherwise those EEPROM based computers are hard to retune. There was an article on this in a Mopar Action 2 or 3 years back. You need the computer to shift the tranny unless someone like tactransman can chime in and tell you about the non-computer setups and years they came in. If you go this route then go for a smashed up vehicle in the wreckers as they probably had life left in the engine/tranny when they came to an abrupt end.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010 - 10:10:22 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Stroker. particularly the od trans.  I am going to start looking around. 

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010 - 07:51:47 PM »
Ian, here's a core for $60 in Ramona.  It may be trash, but for $60 bucks, it's worth a phone call.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/1662367120.html

New aftermarket Magnum heads in Mission Valley:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1669208294.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010 - 07:56:12 PM by Greg's HO R/T »
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(