Author Topic: Is it ok to epoxy over a little surface rust?  (Read 55768 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Is it ok to epoxy over a little surface rust?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010 - 05:09:44 AM »
warned ya......  :biggrin:    :misbehaving:
*** Bart ***

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010 - 07:02:47 AM »
sandblast or cut out..no other way,i dont buy into the bs the rust companys sell and never will..i work in a chlorate plant and its nothing but salt thru out the process and i can tell you now,we have contractors that have came in with everything on the damn market and swore up and down its the best stuff to stop rust..i laugh and take them to the bone yard where the rest of them said the same thing and show them the other products that tried to stop it..and FAILED...when i do a car for anyone..if its a big dollar job ill cut it out..but if its not ill blast and epoxy it..you will never have it come back period..my grandfather has did it like this for 33 years and never had any problem..im 100% sold on this way..any other way is not worth the cost or hard work..and for the ones that are doing this for the first time dont take chances..take advice..blast it out..my  :2cents:

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010 - 10:37:27 AM »
warned ya......  :biggrin:    :misbehaving:

Yes you did Dutch. Like I said earlier, this kid insisted that we use the POR 15. He has no funds for any other material. All he wanted was the prime job. I just can't send him down the road like this so I'm donating the DP 90. Lesson learned. :banghead: POR 15 will NEVER see the inside of my shop again. :villagers:

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010 - 10:55:48 AM »
I think POR 15 has its uses, just not as an outer body coat. I have to say, though, the stuff isn't cheap. I wonder where he got enough money to get enough to cover a body if he couldn't afford regular paint.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:52:26 PM »
chaulk one more up  :sadwavey:,sorry you have to deal with the mess,I never felt like POR should be used restoring cars, I'd say it might be OK using it on trailers or axles.

yes, it's amazing how well epoxy adheres to things
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:55:54 PM »
I think POR 15 has its uses, just not as an outer body coat. I have to say, though, the stuff isn't cheap. I wonder where he got enough money to get enough to cover a body if he couldn't afford regular paint.

He just graduated from Ole Miss last week and also purchased his first home. He had the Jeep at a shop last summer who sanded it down, sprayed a light coat of primer on it, and then let it sit for eight months outside. It didn't look pretty. He brought it home with the intentions of putting the POR 15 on it but didn't have the tools to sand it properly. I stopped to look at another 79 Golden Eagle CJ7 (no motor) that he had for sale at his house and he told me his story. We straight traded for the work I'm doing. I never considered using POR 15 because I blast everything or cut the rust out. First time for everything. I'm donating a quart and a half of DP 90 just to make sure the POR is sealed. He's painting it at his garage with PPG's OMNI line.

I will never use POR 15 again.

Todd

OMS

NYC

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:58:44 PM »
chaulk one more up  :sadwavey:,sorry you have to deal with the mess,I never felt like POR should be used restoring cars, I'd say it might be OK using it on trailers or axles.

yes, it's amazing how well epoxy adheres to things

You are correct. Top of the line Epoxy is brutal. I've never had it lift.

Todd

OMS

NYC

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010 - 05:02:09 PM »
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I want you all to know that I spent my Sunday sanding the POR 15 off the Jeep CJ7 project. The surface is still hard as a rock but when I start to abrade the areas that need filler the POR flies off like snow flakes. Little black glossy snowflakes. I have half of it off - I'll have one of my guys finish it tomorrow. I can't let the kid ride up out of here with a finish I do not trust. I should have known better. DP 90 tomorrow night.

Todd

NYC

OMS

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010 - 05:22:30 PM »
very nice of you to help the kid out of his por mess.....  :worshippy  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010 - 10:15:14 PM »
very nice of you to help the kid out of his por mess.....  :worshippy  :2thumbs:

You made me laugh Dutch. :roflsmiley: I couldn't and wouldn't let any vehicle leave my shop unless it was correct. I'm sick over this POR junk. It's funny how this thread started and then I wind up trying it. I know better. There is no magic bullet in the auto paint business. You get what you pay for. A paint job only reflects the time and effort you put into it. Nothing else.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010 - 02:23:01 AM »
well I don`t know about POR prices in the states, but overhere there isn`t much difference in price for a high end epoxy... so I wouldn`t say POR makes a "cheap" job...  :grinno:
*** Bart ***

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010 - 09:52:36 AM »
well I don`t know about POR prices in the states, but overhere there isn`t much difference in price for a high end epoxy... so I wouldn`t say POR makes a "cheap" job...  :grinno:

You are correct Dutch. The POR 15 isn't cheap. BUT IT SURE IS JUNK! I buy all of my body and shop supplies in bulk from National Oak in Memphis. My PPG comes from Tupelo. Welcome to the south.

Have a nice day Dutch.

Todd

OMS

NYC

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010 - 11:30:23 PM »
The POR is no MORE Dutch. DP 90 tomorrow. OUT OF MY OWN POCKET OF COURSE BECAUSE I DON'T PASS THE DIFFERENCE ONTO MY CUSTOMERS. :stirpot: LOL!

Todd

NYC

OMS

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010 - 02:39:43 AM »
The POR is no MORE Dutch. DP 90 tomorrow. OUT OF MY OWN POCKET OF COURSE BECAUSE I DON'T PASS THE DIFFERENCE ONTO MY CUSTOMERS. :stirpot: LOL!

Todd

NYC

OMS

DUH...    :smilielol:

make sure not to drip....  :poopoke:
*** Bart ***

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010 - 07:24:36 AM »
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I want you all to know that I spent my Sunday sanding the POR 15 off the Jeep CJ7 project. The surface is still hard as a rock but when I start to abrade the areas that need filler the POR flies off like snow flakes. Little black glossy snowflakes. I have half of it off - I'll have one of my guys finish it tomorrow. I can't let the kid ride up out of here with a finish I do not trust. I should have known better. DP 90 tomorrow night.

Todd

NYC

OMS

The problem with Por is that you really shouldn't sand it because it isn't suitable for that. Por isn't very hard it's more like flexible kind of rubber coating in my opinion, so it tends to stick into the sanding paper and then rip off from the surface because of pretty high tensile strength, that's why it comes out as a sheet. Epoxy on the other hand is rock hard and therefore it is easy to sand.

In my opinion if you are using Por you really shouldn't sand it and they even have a "etching" primer that is supposed to be used over Por before any other top coat. The etching primer is sandable so you can roughen that up before shooting sandable primer or something else over it. Before I bought the etching primer I used to just dull the surface of cured Por with 3M scrubbing pads before covering it up with top coats. Don't know if it will hold in the long run but I will find out in the up coming years.

Anyway, it seems to be pretty good stuff on anything else than outside panel surfaces, just don't try to sand it.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)