Author Topic: Is it ok to epoxy over a little surface rust?  (Read 55767 times)

OxfordMotorSports

Re: Is it ok to epoxy over a little surface rust?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010 - 09:14:33 AM »
The problem with Por is that you really shouldn't sand it because it isn't suitable for that. Por isn't very hard it's more like flexible kind of rubber coating in my opinion, so it tends to stick into the sanding paper and then rip off from the surface because of pretty high tensile strength, that's why it comes out as a sheet. Epoxy on the other hand is rock hard and therefore it is easy to sand.

In my opinion if you are using Por you really shouldn't sand it and they even have a "etching" primer that is supposed to be used over Por before any other top coat. The etching primer is sandable so you can roughen that up before shooting sandable primer or something else over it. Before I bought the etching primer I used to just dull the surface of cured Por with 3M scrubbing pads before covering it up with top coats. Don't know if it will hold in the long run but I will find out in the up coming years.

Anyway, it seems to be pretty good stuff on anything else than outside panel surfaces, just don't try to sand it.

You are correct.

Todd

OMS

NYC