Author Topic: Can replacing a fuel filter cause loud engine knock????  (Read 10441 times)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
Re: Can replacing a fuel filter cause loud engine knock????
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008 - 12:26:41 AM »
   :iagree:  I always do it into a bin or parts washer.   :bigshades:
Dave

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008 - 07:13:32 AM »
Ok, Now he have removed the intake, looked at all the lifters, removed the waterpump and chain, removed the cam, it looks great. When he rotates the crank there is no sound.  ??? I get worryed if he just have to ensamble the engine again without finding the cause. He'll take down the oil pan tomorrow to have a look.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

nivvy

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008 - 11:05:01 AM »
Did you check the converter bolts yet.... also pushrods could be hitting against the heads,,,,, see if there are marks on the push rods........ my eddys pushrod holes were enlarged........  :2cents:

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008 - 11:51:02 AM »
Yeah, he checked the converter. The eddy heads have been on the motor for many years.. but I'll tell him to inspect the pushrods..

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008 - 02:27:04 AM »
Ok, we found the problem. The gasket between the oil pump and pickup was missplaced and blocked the oil from the pickup! And it has probably sucked up air too. Knocking sound came from the rod bearings.

I guess it just didn't get enough volume of oil, the pressure was fine..

So my brother learnd something... take your time when building an engine!  :banghead: Don't rush it! Hope he gets it up and running now..

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008 - 02:04:28 AM »
hope he's going to check the bearings and not just put a gasket in and run it. the bearings and maybe crank are probably messed up bad :dunno:
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....