Can replacing a fuel filter cause loud engine knock????

Author Topic: Can replacing a fuel filter cause loud engine knock????  (Read 10442 times)

Offline bs549

« on: October 02, 2004 - 03:26:12 PM »

My Cuda with a 383 4bbl developed a loud knocking sound right after replacing the fuel filter.  Here’s the story…let me know what you think….

Fuel gauge on the car had not been working since I got the car….replaced the fuel sending unit and sock in the tank ,and the gauge then worked great.  Took the car for a 10 mile drive, and all seemed to be okay…no leaks, engine ran fine.

BUT…..Came home, and got to thinking that I probably should replace the fuel filter, as the old sending unit was pretty rusty, and the unit’s filter sock pretty well gone.  Picked up a filter at Autozone (all they had was a Fram, and didn’t have the metal type filter that was on car) and replace the filter that fed the fuel pump.
NOW THE PROBLEM…..went to start the Cuda up, and after a few cranks the engine came to life…but almost immediately it had a loud knocking noise. It's not a ticking sound, but a pretty loud knocking sound.  The noise sounds like it’s coming from the center of the engine, not from one side or the other. As the rpms are increased,  the noise picks up in speed, but really doesn’t get any louder.   

The engine now turns over a lot easier than it did before replacing the fuel filter, so I feel pretty sure that the old one may have been partially clogged.  But now don’t I know what could be causing this noise.  What do y’all think…can replacing the fuel filter someone cause the engine to now make this noise, or is this just a coincidence and I've got some sort of serious problem?

My mechanical expertise is limited, so any help you can throw my way in basic terms would be appreciated…Thanks!  bs549 ???

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Can replacing a fuel filter cause loud engine knock????
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004 - 06:50:44 PM »
Just when you think you've heard everything... This is a good one. I can't see how the fuel filter can be causing the knock. Just wondering if this car was sitting for a long time or something. Is the gas fresh?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004 - 01:03:43 PM »
see if the oil smells like gas....if so you might have a rod knocking?? or maybe its just something small... ::) ;D
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Plum6Pak

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004 - 03:31:56 PM »
Yup, that's a new one on me too! One chance in a million that your fuel filter was plugged and no gas was getting to the fuel pump and now the pump is making noises, the fuel pump push rod could be clunking in there, hopefully! You may have turned a bearing on your last outing. Drain the oil and really check it close, if it has a metal flake color you are in trouble.
Hope it works out for you! Good Luck!!  ;)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004 - 05:20:39 PM »
Just another thought, is your oil level OK? If you need a couple of quarts, that would cause knocking. Really, I've thought about this, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004 - 10:24:01 PM »
It has to be something stupid, like maybe a wrench or bolt you dropped somewhere clunking around. if not its just a really weird coquiendence ( sp?) something else happened. Try checking your torque convertor bolts.

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008 - 04:07:48 PM »
Any news on this story?
My brothers 351 Windsor has just developed the same problem.. huge knocking from the center of the engine.
The car has been in storage the whole winter, It didn't run any good when he put it to storage in september and it was hard to get it started, so now he adjusted the valves..(hyd. cam) motor didn't run any good.. found out it was only running on 5 cylinders, changed the sparkplugs. Engine was working.. had it idling to warm up to adjust the carb, then suddenly it developed this knocking, it sounds like an Diesel engine. This car has not been driven for 6 months.. have just been fired up once in a while during the winter! The Engine was rebuilt last year, have very few miles on it since.

Here are the specs on the engine:
351W
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, The valves and seats was cut
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake
Speed Demon 750 VE carb
Speed Pro CS-1162R cam (Performer RPM grind) (new)
New Lifters
New Timing chain
Wiseco Pro-Tru Forged Pistons 0.030" and Rings (new)
Stock Cast Iron crank 0.010" undersize
Crane Cams HI-6 ignition and Optical/Digital distributor
Melling High volume oil pump (new)
Moroso Road Race Oil pan with Windage tray (new)
Clevite 77 bearings (new)
ARP bolts everywere (new)

I know it's a Ford, but any suggestions?
Member of The Rapid Transit System

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008 - 04:30:55 PM »
It has to be something stupid, like maybe a wrench or bolt you dropped somewhere clunking around. if not its just a really weird coquiendence ( sp?) something else happened. Try checking your torque convertor bolts.

Yes all of a sudden i had a knocking also... bought a scope an put it on the tranny and no crap i found it and it was the torque converter bolt backed off some......

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008 - 04:57:43 PM »
I'll ask him to check it out.. thanks Stroker!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008 - 05:44:53 PM »
Cow-A-Bunga!!

This is a 4 year old thread.  :lol:  :lol2:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008 - 11:17:05 PM »
and we still dont know the original outcome.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008 - 05:03:48 AM »
Cow-A-Bunga!!

This is a 4 year old thread.  :lol:  :lol2:
Gotta use the search .. it's there for a reason.  :chatting:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008 - 08:47:32 AM »
  The answer to this thread is NO, changing a fuel filter cannot cause a knocking noise in the motor. Sounds like loose convertor or a bearing, need to check more closer.
  When I replace a fuel filter I always blow through it with my mouth, if there is any resistance then it is blocked, if I have no problems blowing through it then that was not the problem. Something I have just done over many years.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008 - 02:36:12 PM »
I've been told that Edelbrock heads have had some issues with collapsed lifters.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008 - 02:59:31 PM »
    When I replace a fuel filter I always blow through it with my mouth, if there is any resistance then it is blocked, if I have no problems blowing through it then that was not the problem. Something I have just done over many years.   :bigsmile:

WARNING!  DO NOT LOOK AT THE CEILING WHILE PERFORMING THIS OPERATION!!   :puke:   :roflsmiley:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(